Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mouth Ulcers

Does anyone have any tips or remedies to get rid of mouth ulcers apart from bonjela?

Comments

• Options
    Put a load of salt in a glass of pretty warm water and swill it around in your mouth. Only thing that works for me.
  • Options
    If you can handle the short sharp pain of the application, try Oralmedic.

You use the cotton bud to apply a solution that literally burns the ulcer off.

Larger Tescos sell it.
  • Options
    Make up a paste with some tumeric powder ad a little warm water. Then apply to the ulcer with a cotton bud. Stings a bit initially but seem to relieve the pain when I use it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I was taught something by my late mother in law that works an absolute treat but stings. Buy some effervescent vitamin c tablets (ie redoxen), break a tablet in half and put it directly on the ulcer. The tablet fizzes and dissolves and stings the ulcer like mad but gets rid of them really quick. I used to get loads of ulcers in the past and this was the best remedy ever. Forget bonjela, this is the best way :-)

Edit: the tablets are usually dissolved in water and drunk for a vit c boost. However, what I am suggesting is to put the piece of tablet directly on the ulcer and let it dissolve slowly by itself.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I get them when I'm "run down" or haven't eaten enough fruit & vegetables ie after xmas.
    If you drink plenty of fresh orange juice it helps mine to go quicker. (Presume it's the lack of and then added vitamin c).

Also agree with putting salt on them, if you can handle it, or highly concentrated salt water if not.

Bonjela I think, just deadens the pain. I'm not sure it helps them heal.

PS I always used to get them as a kid & hardly ever get them now, as I have a small glass of fresh orange juice for breakfast. If I miss out, say perhaps at xmas as not in your own house, I get one within days.
  • Options
    Rinstead pastilles are decent.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I've currently got a stye inside my eyelid. Any tips?
  • Options
    Gargle with Sarsons vinegar
  • Options
    5 parts water to 1 part TCP swilled round the mouth always works for me. Tastes foul, but breaks them and soothes the pain.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Soak some cotton wool in clean warm water then gently clean the eyelid with it. This normally removes a stye in my experience.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Scalpel or Stanley blade and a bottle of TCP. You can't beat a bit of DIY home surgery!
  • Options
    Remember, rinstead pastills simply numb the pain, as does bonjela.

TCP and salt kill germs and pain, allowing the ulcer to heal.

Corsodyl mouthwash is excellent and works by killing germs and encouraging the ulcer to heal. This is your best bet if you want to use medication.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Off_it said:

Get the pigs out first of all :-)

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/eyes/medicines/brolene-eye-drops-and-ointment.html
  • Options
    Pinch one of your testicles. Doesn't help with the ulcer but it will take your mind off it. Plus once the pain of that goes away, the ulcer wont seem so bad.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Rub some gold on it. Always works for me
  • Options
    Suffered wih these f***ing things my entire life. This will sound insane (and it is agonisingly painful when you do it, but only lasts a couple of minutes) - but wet your finger, dip it in salt and apply it straight onto the ulcer. Like I said, murderously painful, but the ulcer's usually gone the next day when I get one and pluck up the courage to do it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Can't add much to the advice above but for the future be a bit more choosey who you snog at the office xmas party :-)
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Can't add much to the advice above but for the future be a bit more choosey who you snog at the office xmas party :-)

Not contagious. Common myth. You're thinking of cold sores.

• Options
    Use to have them alot yonks back my late Mum told me to gargle with very very salty water that often worked. One time it didnt she said "use TCP" i did --- although just took a huge swig from the bottle !!! F==k the ulcers couldnt taste a naffing thing for about a week with neat TCP !!
    Gargle with Listamint twice a day and touch wood dont get ulcers to much these days.
  • Options
    My dad told me that my grandad once had loads of them during the war. Went to the mo who brushed a black substance on them which shriveled them up pretty quickly. He didn't ask what it was but probably highly toxic!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stebo said:

Pinch one of your testicles. Doesn't help with the ulcer but it will take your mind off it. Plus once the pain of that goes away, the ulcer wont seem so bad.

Thanks Stebo but if I pinch in the wrong place I might dislodge the puss balls

• Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Scalpel or Stanley blade and a bottle of TCP. You can't beat a bit of DIY home surgery!

Bit drastic for a stye isn't it Rob?

• Options
    A few years ago my mate (who was a bit of a cokehead) used to get them regularly. One day he rubbed some marching powder directly onto an ulcer and swore it cured it. Didn't have the heart to tell him that it was probably the coke that caused the thing in the first place, and that what 'cured' it was whatever the coke had been trodden on with :)

If you're on the sniff, lay off it.
  • Options
    March51 said:

BIG_ROB said:

Bit drastic for a stye isn't it Rob?

Nah, used a 9' angle grinder on me in-growing toe nail! Looks like a Quaver now mind.........
  • Options
    My wife suffered with mouth ulcers for years too. Having a good dose of folic acid (4 tablets a day) seems to have knocked it on the head.
  • Options
    Ho,ho,ho! Dread to think of your remedy for a touch of the Farmers.......... {:-)
  • Options
    Many prescription only medicines can cause mouth ulcers carbamazepine and carbimazole have particular cautions associated with them possibly indicating problems with white blood cell count.

Being run down, ramming the toothbrush into the gums can amongst many things cause mouth ulcers.

There was once a superb preparation called Adcortyl in Orabase sadly no longer available. A course of Strong Vitamin B compound tablets can help, corsodyl mouthwash as previously suggested or Hydrocortisone oral mucosal pellets (also known as Corlan in times past) can help. Orabase is an excellent mucosal protective too, all available at your local pharmacy
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Off_it said:

Used Tea bags
  • Options

Off_it said:

Used Tea bags
    We do use tea bags - who uses loose leaf tea these days? - but what about my eye?
  • Options
    Lack of Vitamin B12 or Iron can cause it. Beware of too much Vitamin C this can make them worse.