Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Perth/Western Australia Lifers advice needed

edited January 2013 in Not Sports Related
Hi all,

Girlfriend & I are flying into Perth late february with the working holiday visa, with the intention of having a look, and if we like it trying to get some sponsorship to stay longer-term.

However, we will be arriving on a bit of a budget. I know there are a few addicks downunder I was just hoping for any advice at all regarding areas to stay, useful websites for accomodation, places to look for work (bookmaking is my profession but i am fully aware I will need to take anything at first). From first glance it looks like accomodation is going to be the wallet killer!

Hope to buy a car asap so any general stuff to do within a few hours of the city would also be greatly apprecited!

Cheers all,
Mark

Comments

• Options
    Have fun, been to Perth and have an Aussie friend that lives there. I'll ask her for some input if you like. The town is very pretty with its setting on the Swan River, it's about 10 miles inland but it's hot, hot, hot, with the Fremantle Doctor providing a little relief in the afternoon - or arvo - should I say? Great to visit but I wouldn't want to work there! It is also a very very remote place. What surprised me most is that it is the exact reverse of New York - which never sleeps - Perth rarely seems to wake up. Certainly, the City itself seems to shut down completely at precisely 6:15pm every evening! But Aussies won't tell you that of course :-)
    Places to see, well the WACCA is a must of course but Perth must be over a thousand miles from anywhere much but there is Fremantle on the coast and the famous Wave Rock which is about four hours drive east. It's even hotter there and it's impossible to beat off the flies but worth a trip.
  • Options
    My advice as someone who moved to oz for a time: check out the likelyhood of getting sponsorship thoroughly if you haven't already. If thats what your after Sydney might be better depending on your skill sets of course.
  • Options
    I loved it when i went there - but that was 1992 so alot may have changed - one of the cleanest, loveliest cities i have been to and great to raise a family i reckon but dull as dishwater if you want a night out was my experience. I know 3 or 4 people still out there and will mushbook them to see if they have any help for you fellow Webby.
  • Options
    Me and mate also flying out lat feb on a Working visa, plan is to fly out to Sydney, spend a month there and make our way over to Adelaide where he has family, was looking and renting a car for the journey. Anyone with any experience/tips they could share would be great
  • Options
    My tips is - go up the middle to Darwin under your own steam and take it in. See Ayers rock, Katherine, Kakadu, Coober Pedy etc - Its the best bit and Darwin is a great city if a little wild. I went all round Oz and that part was the only time i wasnt surrounded by twats on a gap year wanting to drink slabs of VB every night.

• Options
  • Options
    Don't mean to hijack this thread but need some advice about Perth myself. Mate is getting married there (fair bit away yet but need to start saving for it). I'm guessing if I travel all that way I need to make it worthwhile and take about 3 weeks off. By the sounds of it there isn't much to do there to kill that much time or am I wrong?
  • Options
    PM OzAddick or erik bakke...both live in Perth. Plenty to do...Id suggest a trip south, taking in Margaret River and travel all the way down to the bottom.....wide open spaces on the coast, caves and some beautiful countryside....Southern hemispheres longest pier is worth a look...they have an underwater observatory at the very end...awesome...Valley of the Giants tree top walk is worth a visit at Walpole..a walk along the top of the treetops on a suspended walkway. Perth itself is ok, but nothing exciting or cultural...plenty of English pubs and "Poms" Fremmantle is a bit more old school and interesting. Mark...thought youd been here before....or was that NZ? Plenty of work if your in the construction industry, but youd be better off in Melbourne or Sydney if youre a bookie.
  • Options
    Loved Sydney, but Hastings beach is better then Bondi....well at least there is more room on it, except on Pirates Day.
  • Options

Loved Sydney, but Hastings beach is better then Bondi....well at least there is more room on it, except on Pirates Day.

Too true. In terms of being overrated Bondi is only beaten by Waikiki. What they have in common of course is they are both small streches of mediocre sand right by a large city.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I lived on Manly beach when i was there. Only went to Bondi once, just to see it.

Waikiki now that was the biggest disappointment ever. What a dump.
  • Options
    TEL said:

PM OzAddick or erik bakke...both live in Perth. Plenty to do...Id suggest a trip south, taking in Margaret River and travel all the way down to the bottom.....wide open spaces on the coast, caves and some beautiful countryside....Southern hemispheres longest pier is worth a look...they have an underwater observatory at the very end...awesome...Valley of the Giants tree top walk is worth a visit at Walpole..a walk along the top of the treetops on a suspended walkway. Perth itself is ok, but nothing exciting or cultural...plenty of English pubs and "Poms" Fremmantle is a bit more old school and interesting. Mark...thought youd been here before....or was that NZ? Plenty of work if your in the construction industry, but youd be better off in Melbourne or Sydney if youre a bookie.

Don't forget about me I live in Perth
  • Options
    Perth is expensive but so are most places downunder now. There is lots to sea with plenty of driving needed. It will be hot when you are coming and it's a very dry heat.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I lived on Manly beach when i was there. Only went to Bondi once, just to see it.

Thought Manly was most pleasent, nice fish and chips too, and a lovely ride on the ferry to get there.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Too true. In terms of being overrated Bondi is only beaten by Waikiki. What they have in common of course is they are both small streches of mediocre sand right by a large city.
    a lot of better beaches in Oz than Bondi. Coogee is the best in Sydney imo, Cottlesloe in North Perth suburbs is lovely, many in the Gold Coast are nice, Marcoola in Sunshine coast is great BUT the best of the lot, top five in the World, Whitehaven Beach in the Whitsunday's.

• Options
    DA1 said:

My tips is - go up the middle to Darwin under your own steam and take it in. See Ayers rock, Katherine, Kakadu, Coober Pedy etc - Its the best bit and Darwin is a great city if a little wild. I went all round Oz and that part was the only time i wasnt surrounded by twats on a gap year wanting to drink slabs of VB every night.

Did you drive yourself through the outback?
  • Options

DA1 said:

Yes mate in a Holden estate - and slept in it at night. One of the best timesof my life. PIcked up a mad Aussie and went roo hunting with his guns at night - with a big searchlight thing. A million tales but i spent a while in the country and that bit was by far the best.

The driving was hard work at times - one long flat never ending road but plenty of stuff when you went looking if you were bored.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I worked for a hostel for 6 months in Waikiki. Great laugh it was - but the beaches were better up the north shore/pipeline. Waikiki is like PEckham with a beach next to it and some sun. It even gets covered in shade in the afternoon cos of the hotels. A bit like Surfers up the gold coast.
  • Options
    Mark - a friend of mine's daughter is currently living in Perth with her boyfriend and they were met with all the same issues on their arrival. PM me your email address and I will forward it to Emma, so she can help you.
  • Options
    Yes exactly the same as surfers. Completely overbuilt.

When I think of Waikiki i think of the hookers who stood outside our cheap motel on every corner and the marines. The marines were a major pain in the backside at night in the bars. Close to harrassment.

The place was a big disappointment but we were only there a few days anyway, as went on to next stop fiji, like everyone else. Far nicer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA1 said:

DA1 said:

Yes mate in a Holden estate - and slept in it at night. One of the best timesof my life. PIcked up a mad Aussie and went roo hunting with his guns at night - with a big searchlight thing. A million tales but i spent a while in the country and that bit was by far the best.

The driving was hard work at times - one long flat never ending road but plenty of stuff when you went looking if you were bored.
    A Holden Estate...forgive my ignorance is that like a camper van?
  • Options
    No mate an estate car with the back bit as a put me up bed with sleeping bags - tight fucker i am.
  • Options
    DA1 said:

No mate an estate car with the back bit as a put me up bed with sleeping bags - tight fucker i am.

All the same sounds a great experience.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

When I think of Waikiki i think of the hookers who stood outside our cheap motel on every corner and the marines. The marines were a major pain in the backside at night in the bars. Close to harrassment.

The place was a big disappointment but we were only there a few days anyway, as went on to next stop fiji, like everyone else. Far nicer.

i loved it but its different when you're sort of living there. loads of really rough gaffs mixed with outrageous wealth. I used to drive a car to the airport to pick up tourists illegally - if you got caught touting that was your lot. Was also the handyman for our hostel and got food and lodgings and $150 a week - it was ace for a single young firm thighed chap - i even dreadlocked my hair a bit by not washing it and spent ages up the shore with the surf dudes smoking bongs maaaan. Saw Pearl Jam play at Honolulu Uni just as their 1st LP came out.

Rough with the smooth though as one night i was going to meet a scouse fella i worked with at a bar and didn't really know it so went it what i thought was the right one and bought a beer. After about 20 minutes he didnt show so i walked out and thought i'd try up the road. I then got set about by about 6 marines taking swings at me and haymakers - i dodged a few then ran into the road, crossing it like Frogger nearly getting run over hearing "Hey buddy, come here" then one of em shouts "fucking fag" - it only THEN dawned on me i had just walked out of a gay bar. Oh how we laughed later
  • Options
    DA1 said:

Curb_It said:

i loved it but its different when you're sort of living there. loads of really rough gaffs mixed with outrageous wealth. I used to drive a car to the airport to pick up tourists illegally - if you got caught touting that was your lot. Was also the handyman for our hostel and got food and lodgings and $150 a week - it was ace for a single young firm thighed chap - i even dreadlocked my hair a bit by not washing it and spent ages up the shore with the surf dudes smoking bongs maaaan. Saw Pearl Jam play at Honolulu Uni just as their 1st LP came out.

Rough with the smooth though as one night i was going to meet a scouse fella i worked with at a bar and didn't really know it so went it what i thought was the right one and bought a beer. After about 20 minutes he didnt show so i walked out and thought i'd try up the road. I then got set about by about 6 marines taking swings at me and haymakers - i dodged a few then ran into the road, crossing it like Frogger nearly getting run over hearing "Hey buddy, come here" then one of em shouts "fucking fag" - it only THEN dawned on me i had just walked out of a gay bar. Oh how we laughed later
    Sounds brilliant, what age did you go out there and for how long?
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

DA1 said:

Curb_It said:

From 1990 to 1994 1 spent about 3 years travelling in total. Spent most of it in India. Hawaii was about 5/6 months i think - Oz about 8 months

I was in Hawaii summer 1992 so i was 25 mate
  • Options
    DA1 said:

J BLOCK said:

DA1 said:

Curb_It said:

From 1990 to 1994 1 spent about 3 years travelling in total. Spent most of it in India. Hawaii was about 5/6 months i think - Oz about 8 months

Awesome, we're booking one way tickets and hopin i'll be tapping you up for more info nearer the time!
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

DA1 said:

J BLOCK said:

DA1 said:

Curb_It said:

Awesome, we're booking one way tickets and hopin i'll be tapping you up for more info nearer the time!
    I could go on for hours mate. Dont understand how people can stay here when they're young - there is so much out there and living off your wits and arriving in strange places with a small bag of clothes and no idea what to do is a buzz. It can make or break you. But get yourslef about and meet new people/nationalities and youd be surpised wehre you end up. Ive got mates still out there doing it 20 years later and only pop home every now and then. I got to 30 and within a year and a half was married with a kid and a mortgage. So glad i did what i did though.
  • Options
    Ill be dead jealous of you. Its the best thing I've ever done. Once you get to Sydney and get a bit of work, its hard to get out of. No need to rush straight to Adelaide. Sydney is brilliant.

We were trying to save money so me and my mates bought a Greyhound ticket rather than hire a car and you can get off and on when you want. We spent 3 months going round Oz on that, but we cut out Perth and went straight up as DA1 suggests, wonderful things to do. Was a long time ago now but still the best 18 months ive ever had.
  • Options
    Can't beat a bit of travelling, when I was a small child my aunt brought me a globe, one that had a light bulb inside and when the light was off the world was shown as physical but when the light was on it was political and showed all the countries of the world with their clearly marked boundries. This inspired me to want to travel and see some of those countries....best christmas present I ever had.