Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Perth/Western Australia Lifers advice needed

2»

Comments

• Options
    Some great memories here.... I drove around the whole of Aussie in a Ford Falcon station wagon... same as DA1, big mattress in the back and eski on the roof. Found an awesome book that gave directions to free campsites all down the West Coast of Australia. MUCH preferred the ruggedness of the West Coast to the partying of the East.

Best advice I can give is don't waste your time planning too much. It's so easy once you're out there and you'll change plans every week anyways.

Some great outback towns driving North from Uluru to Darwin. I rocked up once, just as they had the local rodeo on. People flew in from miles around to party and ride bulls.

Be warned though, traveling changes you as a person (for the better in my opinion). I've only lived in England for 4 years since I left to go Australia back in 99, when I was 21. Last couple of years I've lived on a beach in Mexico for 7 months learning to surf, worked on a cruise ship for 6 months cruising around the Hawaiian islands and am now living in a ski resort again. Not saying this to boast or anything, just pointing out to where it can lead.

On the flip side, I'm the oldest (at 35) of 4 brothers and the only one not married or with kids. When I do go home and visit I definitely fully appreciate what they have and finally can see myself looking for something similar. Just hope I haven't left it too late!
  • Options

Some great memories here.... I drove around the whole of Aussie in a Ford Falcon station wagon... same as DA1, big mattress in the back and eski on the roof. Found an awesome book that gave directions to free campsites all down the West Coast of Australia. MUCH preferred the ruggedness of the West Coast to the partying of the East.

Best advice I can give is don't waste your time planning too much. It's so easy once you're out there and you'll change plans every week anyways.

Some great outback towns driving North from Uluru to Darwin. I rocked up once, just as they had the local rodeo on. People flew in from miles around to party and ride bulls.

Be warned though, traveling changes you as a person (for the better in my opinion). I've only lived in England for 4 years since I left to go Australia back in 99, when I was 21. Last couple of years I've lived on a beach in Mexico for 7 months learning to surf, worked on a cruise ship for 6 months cruising around the Hawaiian islands and am now living in a ski resort again. Not saying this to boast or anything, just pointing out to where it can lead.

On the flip side, I'm the oldest (at 35) of 4 brothers and the only one not married or with kids. When I do go home and visit I definitely fully appreciate what they have and finally can see myself looking for something similar. Just hope I haven't left it too late!

Sounds good to me, bet your brothers envy you more then you 'envy' them.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Some brilliant stories DA1,Curb It, Hastings and Crazy, coming out of uni it was something i have debated, the experience of a lifetime or start chipping away at the debt, you've definitely confirmed I'm making the right decision and at 22 and single it's something I want to experience. Like you've said we've planned very little, for us the excitement of landing in a new place with your life in a backpack and making your way through life is overwhelming, cant wait to see what the next few years have in store
  • Options
    hi mark. I reside in Perth, you chose well mate! the city and surrounding suburbs its basically divided into north or south of the swan river. I'm northen suburbs. do you have any ideas where you wish to stay?

accommodation wise, are you looking short term, ie say 3 month lease, or longer. the short lease will be more expensive. an un furnished unit is in the range of 400 bucks a week.

There is a very good website,
    www.pomsinperth.com.au

its a site for English who are immigrating to WA. They can give you poetry much all the answers you need mate.

good luck, you can pm me on here if you need anything mark.
  • Options
    cheers for all the replies guys, some very useful & exciting stuff! TEL yes i was here before but NZ was 5years ago. I've done plenty of travel before but it's a diffeerent challenge attempting to travel and then move with a woman!
    thanks once again everyone,
    mark
  • Options
    Ozaddick what suburb do you live?
  • Options
    Great place. Murrey river for wine. Hamblin bay to swim with manta rays. Hangover bay to get pissed and have a hangover there. Freemantle for sunsets. Coral bay for reef snorkling. The pinnacles for phalic shaped rocks. One of my best experiences was fishing from a peer near Perth, seal kept nicking the bait iff our line so we jumped in and swam with the seal which copied our movements. Loved every minute of Perth tbh.
  • Options
    I accepted a job in the UK in 1999 and decided to visit Perth before starting work. I've been to Australia a couple of times since, admittedly the last was quite a long time ago in 2005. I liked Perth and I know a lot has changed in over 10 years but I found it to be the most familiar city to England. However, I prefer Sydney.

I was offered a job to transfer to Perth or Mebourne in 2005 with residency and visas sorted by my potential employers but my wife decided against it. Soon after we had our first child and it is probably my biggest regret that we didn't make the move. It's not feasible now with two small children to move out there. So my advice is if you are young, free and single get the travelling out of your system before it's too late.