Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Strange foods you've eaten.

I was out having dinner last night with some friends (westerners and Chinese) and we got talking (as we quite often do) about some of the batshit crazy things we have eaten whilst in China.

Some of the stuff is really common, back home I'd go buy a packet of crisps, a similar snack here would be any of:

Ducks necks (actually really nice)
Chickens feet (way too much hard work)
Various heads (you literally suck the brains out through the skull)

Food gets even weirder when it comes to dinner time, when you can get served up any of the following.

Pigs brains (really good)
Duck/snake blood
All types of penis (only tried pig myself, I was tricked into it)
Entire frogs
Entire chickens, inc head, feet, all the innards.
Snake
100 year old eggs (they are literally rotten, have a black/green colour to them)

I've not been to Guanzhou, yet, but I've heard up there they eat monkey brain and human abortions, pretty bloody grim if you ask me.

The main problem I have is that I have a lot of Chinese friends, who love to invite the Mrs and I for dinner, in China the custom is you invite you pay, it's then seen as very bloody rude to not eat something that has been ordered. I've tried pretty much everything that has been put in front of me, it's often quite surprising how "not bad" some stuff is.

It's also pretty cool how Chinese people don't waste any of an animal that they kill for food.

What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Comments

• Options
    I can also add some pics if anyone wants.
  • Options
    BBQ fruit bat. The meaty bit was okay but the membrane wings with the little claws were somewhat offputting.
  • Options
    Hummus, bit like a cross between whitey vomit and wallpaper paste
  • Options
    Oh, I forgot about Maodan, fertilized chicken eggs.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

BBQ fruit bat. The meaty bit was okay but the membrane wings with the little claws were somewhat offputting.

Believed to be a big cause of SARS in China!!!!!!
  • Options
    'human abortions'??? is that true or urban myth?
  • Options
    have quite a few trips to Taiwan for work, eaten some awful tasting stuff, chicken anus is pretty chewy, on my last trip one of the local restaurants i go to now has a menu in english, never again! the worst smelling and taste was stinky tofu, smells like shite and i can only assume tastes like shite, not having ever eaten shite...
  • Options

have quite a few trips to Taiwan for work, eaten some awful tasting stuff, chicken anus is pretty chewy, on my last trip one of the local restaurants i go to now has a menu in english, never again! the worst smelling and taste was stinky tofu, smells like shite and i can only assume tastes like shite, not having ever eaten shite...

My pinyin is pretty good these days but I still struggle with characters, so the other day I had a friend translate a menu from a local place from characters > pinyin for me, chòu dòufu (stinky tofu) was on the menu, the bastard translated it as 'Delicious tofu'

It really is the most vile stuff I've ever come across, it smells exactly how it smells, which I thought would be impossible.

'human abortions'??? is that true or urban myth?

100% true, I know people who have eaten it.
  • Options
    Eaten sea slug in China ... tastes bloody awful ... didn't look too good either.

Tried ... and couldn't eat ... lambs brains in Tunisia.

Chicken feet take way too long to eat and not that good anyway.

No idea what it was but was served a small bird in Tokyo, whole including head. It was about sparrow size - the 'crunch' it produced when biting was a little off-putting ... but it tasted ok.

• Options
    Handkase (cheese) .. a delicacy of Frankfurt ... is rather different and very smelly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'Cheeseburger' from outside the Covered end Entrance
  • Options
    On the bright side quails and quail eggs are dirt cheap here, LOVELY.
  • Options
    One of the best things about Chinese food: Shao kao, basically street bbq.

All the meat/veg you can imagine BBQ'd on the side of the street and covered in Chilli, can stuff yourself for about £2, good times.
  • Options
    Horseburger and shark are about as weird as I've had, not a patch on yours!
  • Options
    Had rice once - didnt like it.

Am sure I read the Chinese don't eat cheese as they consider it to be rotten milk.
    (I agree)
  • Options
    Cheese isn't very popular here, proper milk is also a pain to get.

Both are super expensive too.
  • Options
    The tomato ketchup in Tanzania, the brightest red you have ever seen, and tasted like sugar and melted plastic
  • Options
    Abolone and sea slug soup/stew/something.
    I was very drunk me and a mate picked what we thought were the worse things on the menu. He had the groopers lips.
    It was bloody vile. I'm a veggie so I must have totally shit faced to let him talk me into that.
  • Options
    Snake in Hong Kong many years ago
    Elk and Reindeer (awww) in Sweden
  • Options
    They eat Guinea Pig in South America, bloody awful smell, didn't fancy it myself mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Spiders, wide range of insects, rat etc
  • Options
    I'm partial to a bit of tongue.
  • Options
    Alligator. Tough as old boots.
  • Options
    Sea Cucumber which is a kind of big slug...Ugh it's the only time I have spat food out into my napkin in a restaurant truely vile!
  • Options

Ox tongue, yumyum.
  • Options
    Kangaroo steaks are great
    I've eaten Camel, but it wasn't that great - bit chewy
    Boiled goat wasn't that great either
    Frogs legs are really nice
  • Options

Ox tongue, yumyum.
    They sell insects like crickets etc. in Thailand at the hawker stalls. I've never been tempted. Presumably, that sort of delicacy is available in China. Have you tried?
  • Options
    I've never seen it anywhere I've been.

I was really looking forward to trying them in Beijing last year, sadly it was just before my mum fell ill and I had to return to the UK.

I might be coming to Thailand in feb, although it's looking a lot cheaper to go to 'Nam.
  • Options

Kangaroo steaks are great
    I've eaten Camel, but it wasn't that great - bit chewy
    Boiled goat wasn't that great either
    Frogs legs are really nice

Agree re Kangeroo.
  • Options
    Sea cucumber is fairly unpleasant

Crocodile tastes like tough chicken

Guineapig tastes fine, but is all bone.

Big grazing mammals tend to be nice, e.g. alpaca, antelope, reindeer, kangaroo

Horse is nice (who could resist 'strips of foal') but horse tartare was a step too far

Eaten whale in Norway (morally dubious, but it was everywhere in Bergen while I was there)

Most unusual would probably be bear in Romania. Bear casserole I recall, they have too many bears there, so sell culling rights to rich Russians who pay a fortune for the right to shoot a bear...