Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Strange foods you've eaten.

13»

Comments

• Options
    I shared info on China here and China has got its revenge.

Just went and ate some lunch, stomach is feeling very ropes right about now.
  • Options
    Canary in The Azores. Cooked like a mini roast chicken and eaten whole like whitebait.
  • Options
    You all have my greatest respect, the mysterious contents of a Greggs steak bake is adventure enough for me.
  • Options
    A century egg or hundred-year-old egg is not really 100 years old -it is preserved by coating an egg in a mixture of clay, wood ash, salt, lime, and rice straw for several weeks to several months, depending on the method of processing. After the process is completed, the yolk becomes a dark green, cream-like substance with a strong odor of sulfur and ammonia, while the white becomes a dark brown, transparent jelly with a comparatively mild, distinct flavor. The transforming agent in a century egg is its alkaline material, which gradually raises the pH of the egg from around 9 to 12 or more.[22] This chemical process breaks down some of the complex, flavorless proteins and fats of the yolk into simpler, flavorful ones, which in some way may be thought of as an "inorganic" version of fermentation. Doesn't make it any more appetising I'm afarid.

The most unusual I have eaten are: Snails- very nice if done well - Frogs legs - prefer in batter where they taste a bit like chicken - Whole small octopuss - very nice - I love Whelks which are becoming harder to find too. Also, a nice tip is to eat a prawn with its shell - preferably a barbecued one - minus head- tail and legs of course - a bit crunchy and very tasty.

• Options
    It's pretty obvious they're not 100 years old.
  • Options
    I've eaten insects, chocolate or savoury coated. Crickets are decent in chocolate.
  • Options
    grilled beef sweetbreads in Argentina - very succulent & tasty
    something horrible in Japan - it was a sweetmeat offered at the end of the meal, rude to refuse and the taste made me reech, utterly revolting, but I swallowed and smiled as you do.
  • Options

Also, a nice tip is to eat a prawn with its shell - preferably a barbecued one - minus head- tail and legs of course - a bit crunchy and very tasty.

We have a friend, a Chinese Malay woman who just cannot believe that we don't eat the prawns' heads, which she declares "are the best bit"! She stayed at Christmas and phoned her family back in Penang having a laugh at our funny ways. Strange thing is, she just will not eat smoked or raw salmon - thinks it is completely disgusting to eat uncooked fish. How weird is that?
  • Options
    Until I read this thread I thought I was adventurous and I take my hat off to Stu of Kunming:

Antelope, alligator, beef tendons, ostrich, black pudding, snails , frog's legs, Saumagen (the german equivalent of Haggis).
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Forgot I've also had goat curry, reindeer burger and kangaroo dried sausage (so like kangaroo chorizo) - not bad, not as nice as just normal chorizo!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

rude to refuse and the taste made me reech, utterly revolting, but I swallowed and smiled as you do.

Wish my missus was a bit more like you
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Had nut loaf the other week!

Radical man.

• Options

rude to refuse and the taste made me reech, utterly revolting, but I swallowed and smiled as you do.

Wish my missus was a bit more like you
    LOL
  • Options

BIG_ROB said:

Had nut loaf the other week!

Radical man.

Next up tofu and yogurt ;-)
  • Options
    I had frogs legs in Thailand once - in a Hill Tribe village somewhere way up in the Golden triangle, washed down with moonshine.

A few moments earlier the frogs were happily chirping away, a minute or so later they'd been caught, speared and were bbqing away. As I said at the time 8PM croaking, 8.01PM croaked...
  • Options

Horseburger and shark are about as weird as I've had, not a patch on yours!

I had a horseburger once, it gave me the trotts