Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    jesus wept we are potless and we couldnt even get a bus fare for this twonk !
  • Options
    Better to release him and free up some wages I guess. Wonder if he insisted on paying off.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Gets him off the wage budget i guess.
  • Options
    I can't believe we couldn't get some sort of fee for this bloke
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Good luck to him. Wasnt for us but he has been on loan and proved to be a half decent L1/L2 striker.

Came with a bit of a reputation, especially after the Di Canio incident, but cant remember causing any aggro while here.
  • Options
    Christ. I havent been on the OS in ages. What a mess :(

What does the article say? i could not access it. Assume a mutual termination of contract? Shame we couldnt even get a small fee
  • Options
    Does the article say if we're paying him off ? Weird we couldn't find a buyer he's done well on his loans
  • Options
    Thanks for the memories xx
  • Options
    Dizzle said:

Christ. I havent been on the OS in ages. What a mess :(

What does the article say? i could not access it. Assume a mutual termination of contract? Shame we couldnt even get a small fee

The contract of striker Leon Clarke has been cancelled, the club announced on Monday afternoon. That's about it.
  • Options
    Seems clear that nobody was willing/able to pay a fee for him. Better to get him off the wage bill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think its balls about him being disruptive. Players on twitter seem to like him.
  • Options
    Probably gonna struggle to get a fee, obviously Coventry are very keen, certainly not going to get anything out of them!
  • Options

Better to release him and free up some wages I guess. Wonder if he insisted on paying off.

How can we cancel his contract without paying him off? If he had a contract with us, he would hardly rip it up and walk away for nothing.

• Options

How can we cancel his contract without paying him off? If he had a contract with us, he would hardly rip it up and walk away for nothing.

He might if he was as desperate to get out as we were to get rid.
  • Options
    perhaps we have paid him off but maintained his registration with the FA in which case anyone who wants him might have to pay something to us for the registration to be assigned
  • Options
    Mutual agreement to cancel his contract so he can move for a free, we don't have to pay anything to him and he can move on properly in his career
  • Options
    we probably came to some settlement thereby allowing him to join Cov on lower wages but not be out of pocket. He could have stayed and been a drain on resources so better we come to an agreement and we can all move on.
  • Options
    Coventry City have signed striker Leon Clarke from Charlton Athletic on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

The 27-year-old joined the Sky Blues on a 28-day loan deal from the Addicks on New Year’s Day, 2013 and he has since gone on to make two appearances for City in the New Year's Day home match with Shrewsbury and Saturday's FA Cup third round tie with Tottenham Hotspur.
  • Options
    That was quick.
  • Options
    Leon Clarke is League 1 level. I know of no clubs in League 1 or below that could afford to pay a fee for anybody (unless they sold someone else).
    He was never going to play for us again & if we managed to cancel his contract so that we no longer had to pay his wages, then that's the best we could hope for. Even when he was at Scunny I believe we were still paying a good proportion of his wages.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Similar thing to when Paul Hayes joined us from Preston - and possibly Leon Cort if memory serves me well
  • Options
    Incidentally Clarke has replaced McGoldrick who has signed for Ipswich along with Aaron McLean. Decent couple of signings for the tractor boys in my opinion.
  • Options
    I had Coventry for promotion at 50/1 the other week. Now McGoldricks gone and replaced with Clarke. May as well be 50000/1.
  • Options
    I agree with you Dizzle about the OS site,same as the club shop!
  • Options

I had Coventry for promotion at 50/1 the other week. Now McGoldricks gone and replaced with Clarke. May as well be 50000/1.

Not necessarily. He got 11 in 15 for a far worse team (Scunthorpe) so no reason why he can't replace Mcgoldrick (who got 16 in 22)
  • Options

Not necessarily. He got 11 in 15 for a far worse team (Scunthorpe) so no reason why he can't replace Mcgoldrick (who got 16 in 22)
    Even if he does fire them to promotion then he will no doubt end up back in League One soon enough. Good at that level, pants anywhere above.
  • Options
    Two and a half year deal, bloody hell he's done alright for himself there.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Good luck to him. Clearly out of his depth in our team, looked lost on the pitch, but he seems to know where the goal is in his new incarnation. Glad to see a player enjoy doing what they do best.
  • Options
    its a good move to get him off our wages .... obviously he didnt gel with the bhoys in the dressing room. any striker who scores 11 in 15 and then gets his contract cancelled had issues outside the pitch IMO.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    For whatever reason the worst bit of business done in this managerial reign, so glad to get rid. Whoever signed him* (Powell or Board) wasted a lot of money getting rid of Benson

* EDIT : Him being Clarke