Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Undateables

Comments

• Brilliant show, could be exploitative but they strike the right balance so well it's just lovely.
  • Yeah agree great programme . Borders between making me crease and say aww bless haha
  • The King Charles Cavalier Spaniel bit is one of the best things I've seen in a long time.
  • Really like this programme too, I think it's sensitively done.
  • Just saw it on plus one. What a quality programme.

At no stage does it take the mickey, they strike a wonderful balance. I just find myself laughing along as quite often the people on it say what everyone must be thinking on dates at some point or another.

Looks like next week is a catch up show, should be good.
  • Tonight's was a catch up show too
  • "Your eyes are as brown as bark"....Mikey you chap.
  • Are these women who are doing it for the fame and know it is on TV or have they genuinely seen the undateables profile online and gone on a genuine date?
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Are these women who are doing it for the fame and know it is on TV or have they genuinely seen the undateables profile online and gone on a genuine date?

I think its a bit of a mix, there must be some that see it as a chance to get on TV and at the same time there must be some hat wouldn't be that heartless.
  • Swear at the squirrel......FUCK OFF.

The Tourettes is crazy, some of the lines she came out with made me laugh so much. Peado in a Speedo was another.
  • The chap with tourettes from an earlier series has married the girl he met on the programme...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2925535/Man-Tourette-s-Syndrome-marries-model-year-meeting-TV-s-Undateables.html

Good on him!
  • channel 4 if you want cheering up from all this transfer disappointment
  • That was so lovely - the Tourettes guy has got a good one there, too.
  • Saw a trailer, that was enough for me. Yet another pointing and laughing programme. Disgusting.

I don't often agree with you but I find this programme disturbing viewing.

• WayneK said:

Saw a trailer, that was enough for me. Yet another pointing and laughing programme. Disgusting.

It doesn't mock them, as Neil says it highlights their personalities and shows the struggles they have to go through in a non patronising way. There have been some very likeable, endearing people featured, not to mention funny (in a laugh with them not at them way). Also shows some great family relationships, but if non of this appeals then it's probably best you don't watch.
  • Sponsored links:

• Recently discovered this program myself after others have encouraged me to watch it. I was worried it would be making fools of these people and whilst I find some of what happens awkward I have become to love this program.

This weeks catch up was fantastic.
  • I love the programme, I absolutely love daniel too. Brent and challis have a beautiful relationship. I don't know what's not to love. It's not mocking people at all, if anything it raises awareness about conditions and disabilities that society don't really know enough about, and the struggles they have finding life companions, something most of us take for granted.
  • WayneK said:

Saw a trailer, that was enough for me. Yet another pointing and laughing programme. Disgusting.

Why?

And how Algarve can say that without watching the programme itself is amazing.

Completely agree with Sadie & Hawksmoor.

Myself and the wife watch it with tears and laughter in equal measure, but never at the expense of the people involved.

• Never watched it out of fear that the only conclusion that I would draw from it was that I should be on it...
  • Never watched it out of fear that the only conclusion that I would draw from it was that I should be on it...

probably right. :wink:
  • Its a good show ....nice to know there is someone for everyone .....
  • cafc4life said:

Yeah agree great programme . Borders between making me crease and say aww bless haha

I direct theatre performances with a group of very talented disabled and learning disabled performers. We aim to create work which is powerful and sometimes hard hitting. We have been approached a few times from the makers of this programme wanting to invite some of our performers onto the show. They have always refused as individuals and we have refused as a company. Precisely as it has taken us a long time to gain audiences which do not ahh or go bless or cry but are taken on a powerful journey by our company and judged as any other theatre company would be.

Programmes like this do exploit for the sake of entertainment. Not enough care goes into the messages that are put across and support for the actors lives.
  • edited February 2015
    Shrew said:

cafc4life said:

Yeah agree great programme . Borders between making me crease and say aww bless haha

I direct theatre performances with a group of very talented disabled and learning disabled performers. We aim to create work which is powerful and sometimes hard hitting. We have been approached a few times from the makers of this programme wanting to invite some of our performers onto the show. They have always refused as individuals and we have refused as a company. Precisely as it has taken us a long time to gain audiences which do not ahh or go bless or cry but are taken on a powerful journey by our company and judged as any other theatre company would be.

Programmes like this do exploit for the sake of entertainment. Not enough care goes into the messages that are put across and support for the actors lives.
    I side with these two views as they more match my view on the programme...

I love the programme, I absolutely love daniel too. Brent and challis have a beautiful relationship. I don't know what's not to love. It's not mocking people at all, if anything it raises awareness about conditions and disabilities that society don't really know enough about, and the struggles they have finding life companions, something most of us take for granted.

hawksmoor said:

I agree with Sadie. I too, as some may remember, have an autistic son, so I'm quite sensitive to the way TV programmes approach special needs topics, but I, for one, think this series is very nicely handled indeed. The catch-up where the sweet kid with Tourettes got married in Vegas, and the disabled lady revealed she was pregnant... man alive I must have had something in my eye watching that.

They are exploiting for entertainment yes, but as @hawksmoor and @sadiejane1981 say it's not mocking, it does raise awareness and it does depict each of the individual's personalities, rather than shy away from them as people completely.

Not saying you're wrong, you do have more experience of interacting with those with learning difficulties than me, but I don't feel the show is much different to when you see someone go on their first date when they don't have any learning difficulties.

Not knowing what to say, how to act, striving to be liked, avoiding being too forward, missing all her signs etc...