Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dilemma

Comments

• Options
    Curb_It said:

If he stops biting I want him!!

If he stops biting I want him!!
    my missus said the same

He's not bit anyone here ;)

He's a little bit of a star with some of the locals already mainly due to the size difference of the dogs, Lynne walks him with Xena and I walk him. with Bailey, complete strangers to Micky are asked touch his feet, only one refused when told he may bite. ;)
    He's walking ok, although sometimes tries to switch sides. Learning steadily that the floor is for dogs and the sofa's are ours, also has got it sussed about his bed and will kip in it most of the evening. More than happy to stay in his crate while Lynne goes out to work for a few hours, he just snuggles up to an a old teeshirt of mine. Almost converted over to Burns "fish and rice" from the Chum. Lynne is working with him on the "Paw" command.
  • Options
    This thread is really making me smile. Thanks all.
  • Options
    Great to hear mate so pleased for him

Like I said I grew very fond of the boy and only want the best for him

You and lynne are stars mate real real stars
  • Options
    TCE, Has Mickey been up the Bull yet ? I know he's not old enough to drink but you can smuggle him in the corner.
    Sounds like you're both doing a great job with him
  • Options
    Its not open at 0600hrs when I walk him (I have tried the door) ;)
    There's every possibility he'll get in there over the weekend when I'll walk him with Bailey.
    He's a smashing boy and slowly finding his feet in the house, he's realizing he at the bottom of the pecking order. When Lynne gets home, he's last to let out of his bed, he's last to stroked and fussed and at feeding time, last to be fed. As Mrs Redmidland told me, he needs to be a dog. They need guidence and they want leadership and if its not given they and thats any dog will take over and that will not conform to our way of life. How many times do you see someone walking down the street with a dog pulling so hard the lead is horizontal. They walk past Bailey and say "I wish he/she would walk like that" I'm afraid my answer is aways the same. For every step forward you take with your dog trying to rip your arm out, the more you endorse the behaviour. Stop walking, the dog stops pulling!! problem solved, it really is that simple. I dont think there are to many people who could walk Bailey pulling like that, but I would bet anyone could walk him, its about whats in our head. Its about the confidence we show, peoples fear of dogs makes a dog curious and when its curious it will come over to you. Offer the dog a clenched fist it will sniff you and walk off, simply because were are boring. Show a dog your nervous, (wave your arms about) the pitch of your voice will go up and to a dog that means excitement and equals playtime you then have a dog running around wanting to play. In simple terms, ignore any bad behaviour and it stops. ;)
  • Options
    I wish my neighbour's dog stopped it's bad behaviour when ignored! She lets it out in the garden, ignores it and it immediately starts barking. When on a lead it very rarely barks. She lets it out on purpose to wake us up every morning, but particularly at weekends. We've spoken to her about it, so she knows it causes us a problem but she still does it. The remedy is simple - keep it on a lead and it won't disturb us, but she won't do that.
  • Options
    Ill probably be in there late Saturday afternoon Ray if you're walking as will take a walk up to the woods to see the sledging. Ill message you if we do go, so i can pat little Mickey's feet?!

can you inbox me your mobile number thanks.

• Options
    Curb_It said:

Ill probably be in there late Saturday afternoon Ray if you're walking as will take a walk up to the woods to see the sledging. Ill message you if we do go, so i can pat little Mickey's feet?!

Don't mention that you've got rabbits, she'll boil them!
  • Options

I wish my neighbour's dog stopped it's bad behaviour when ignored! She lets it out in the garden, ignores it and it immediately starts barking. When on a lead it very rarely barks. She lets it out on purpose to wake us up every morning, but particularly at weekends. We've spoken to her about it, so she knows it causes us a problem but she still does it. The remedy is simple - keep it on a lead and it won't disturb us, but she won't do that.

Bad owners really pi55 me off.
    Xena will do the same thing if we allow it. I spoke to Lynne on the subject only the other day, she got past her and into the front garden and barked, its not aggression its an announcement that she here and look at me. But as I said at the time, would we like to be woken at that time. Turned into a bit of a domestic, but she knew I was right. ;)

• Options
    Curb_It said:

My mobile dont work up here "3" complete with cr@p signal, I'll send you my home number you can text to that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Micky had his eyes washed and we pretended to clip his toenails and still all our digits are in tact, even lifted his tail.
    (oh please!) ;)
    If a snappy dog is going to bite, I feel thats when its going to happen.
    Xena is trying to get him to play, he seems a little unsure what to do. He now eats "Burns fish and rice" only and loves it. This boy just needs a little more guidence and he's going to be a cracking boy, Lynne's still working on his "Paw" and "Sit" commands, there a lot going on in that tiny head...........
  • Options
    This is a great thread. All my life I have been scared of dogs after seeing a friend attacked as a 5 year old and it has stuck with me ever since. Your advise about being nervous around dogs is exactly what I do wrong, so thanks for posting the tip. I think it's great what you are doing and it's a real eyeopener reading it. I'm genuinely excited about what will happen next!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Ray

We wonder why he shows very little emotion his tail rarely waggs unless it's when other dogs are around

And he shakes so much is he still doing it

I am so glad he has behaved my daughter and son love him to pieces if I can have the confidence that carrying on what you have done means the lad will be settled brilliant

Does he go to the bed area on command mate or is it a pick me up job

• Options
    tom- k said:

This is a great thread. All my life I have been scared of dogs after seeing a friend attacked as a 5 year old and it has stuck with me ever since. Your advise about being nervous around dogs is exactly what I do wrong, so thanks for posting the tip. I think it's great what you are doing and it's a real eyeopener reading it. I'm genuinely excited about what will happen next!

Come and say hi to Bailey, but I warn you once you've had a cuddle..........Your not taking him home!! ;)

• Options
    Tom

Bailey is the most well behaved and obidient dog I have ever seen could do you real well to meet him
  • Options

Ray

We wonder why he shows very little emotion his tail rarely waggs unless it's when other dogs are around

And he shakes so much is he still doing it

I am so glad he has behaved my daughter and son love him to pieces if I can have the confidence that carrying on what you have done means the lad will be settled brilliant

Does he go to the bed area on command mate or is it a pick me up job

He's a scared little fella, there's a lot happened to him in a short while.

He does shake, mainly when I handle him. When Lynne does its not so bad.
    He has behaved, but laying close to Bailey he's realized he's about the same size as Bailey's head, Its a realty check for the little man and he's worked he's a long way from being top boy.
    Our dogs, as you know lay in the living room during the day. If we give them a "Lay down" command they will lay in living room floor, bed means something different as you saw while you were here. If Micky doesn't lay down immediately, and he has done. He is ignored and with the other dogs laying and no one paying him any attention he will go to his bed. He is then told "Bed" once he's there and fussed.

• Options
    Cheers mate a week of mickey boot camp left I reckon he will be marching and whistling Dixie by the time he comes back to us
  • Options

Cheers mate a week of mickey boot camp left I reckon he will be marching and whistling Dixie by the time he comes back to us

He'll be doing your ironing by the sound of it!
  • Options

He'll be doing your ironing by the sound of it!
  • Options
    I hope so mate always wanted a monkey butler but now i will have a yorkie butler
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    you seen the size of NLA;-) that's a lot of ironing, although after xmas I'm not far behind. Fecking man bobs can't have it.
  • Options
    Ill say we will be in by 5ish Ray. If I'm not going ill call you otherwise I'll see you there.

Im looking forward to meeting Mickey and see him march!
  • Options

Tom

Bailey is the most well behaved and obidient dog I have ever seen could do you real well to meet him

Tom

He sounds like it, it's a shame that some owners don't have the patience to train their dogs so well.

• Options
    This thread is really great. Heartwarming and helpful at the same time. Its given me a bit of hope in the last week or two. Our story is slightly different in that we've walked into first time dog ownership open eyed and eager at the age of nearly fifty. Our younger son has had a number of issues in recent years culminating in the potential for serious self-harm. We took the decision last year to take him out of the system and educate him at home. He is so much happier. He pressed us to get a dog and he was knocking at an open door as I have always wanted one. My wife had a dog in her teens but that was a while ago (in the nicest possible way gorgeous if you ever work out how to get on here!) We have a nearly five month old Tibetan Terrier bitch with an impressive pedigree who is the most gorgeous thing imaginable. But by God she's been hard work! Partly its because we have not a clue what we are doing despite reading a few books. Partly its because they are a wilfull breed - at our weekly dog-training class, there are two Tibbys who are just so much more manic than the other dogs. Ours is eating everything including us - more teething stuff than aggressive biting but she does get a bit too excited at times. We've not cracked toilet training yet although she is quite good at sleeping through the night. I'm also a big softy with her and she has me wrapped around her little paw. We had a few moments of real doubt recently but this thread has given us hope that there is very rewarding light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks folks.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Ill say we will be in by 5ish Ray. If I'm not going ill call you otherwise I'll see you there.
    Im looking forward to meeting Mickey and see him march!

I'll aim between 5.00 and 5.30 ish. :)

• Options
    edited January 2013

This thread is really great. Heartwarming and helpful at the same time. Its given me a bit of hope in the last week or two. Our story is slightly different in that we've walked into first time dog ownership open eyed and eager at the age of nearly fifty. Our younger son has had a number of issues in recent years culminating in the potential for serious self-harm. We took the decision last year to take him out of the system and educate him at home. He is so much happier. He pressed us to get a dog and he was knocking at an open door as I have always wanted one. My wife had a dog in her teens but that was a while ago (in the nicest possible way gorgeous if you ever work out how to get on here!) We have a nearly five month old Tibetan Terrier bitch with an impressive pedigree who is the most gorgeous thing imaginable. But by God she's been hard work! Partly its because we have not a clue what we are doing despite reading a few books. Partly its because they are a wilfull breed - at our weekly dog-training class, there are two Tibbys who are just so much more manic than the other dogs. Ours is eating everything including us - more teething stuff than aggressive biting but she does get a bit too excited at times. We've not cracked toilet training yet although she is quite good at sleeping through the night. I'm also a big softy with her and she has me wrapped around her little paw. We had a few moments of real doubt recently but this thread has given us hope that there is very rewarding light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks folks.

A dogs equivilant to a teething ring............A kong, about 6/8 quid fill it with favourite treats and peanut butter at the ends to stop the falling out, chuck it in the freezer until frozen. Keeps them amused for hours :)
    Your dogs chewing you favourite furniture??..............Vics Sinex, spread it on there. With their sense of smell they dont go back and it does them no harm. ;)
    Sorry.....but a dog chews because its bored, a kong or alike will help but at the end of the day he wants your company. ;)
    Ignore the excitement, if she is leaping around the house when you get home, leave the room, she'll learn..........all four feet on the floor, before she gets fussed. Its simple really, but we as humans complicate it.
    Toilet training........Straight after food, a kip or exercise....Outside until she has a dump or a piss (Sorry thats my terminology for Bailey and Xena) ;) If it takes 30 seconds or 30 minutes outside you stay.
  • Options
    Micky finally started to come out of his shell or more to the point Xena has driven him mad trying to get him to play. imageimageimage
  • Options
    Oh look at him. Right tomorrow I'm putting him under my coat and dog knapping him.
  • Options
    Brilliant thread, TCE. Fair play.

Suppose it's good in a way but regardless of who walks him, one of my Staffs will go mad barking if theres a male stranger walking behind him. Good as gold with women, kids and people he reognises. Suppose it's a protective thing but still quite annoying sometimes.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    SE10 said:

Brilliant thread, TCE. Fair play.

Suppose it's good in a way but regardless of who walks him, one of my Staffs will go mad barking if theres a male stranger walking behind him. Good as gold with women, kids and people he reognises. Suppose it's a protective thing but still quite annoying sometimes.

Talk to him, tell him he's a good boy and you know the fella's there. Is he youngish? Bailey did it until he was about two.....

Edited to add...........
    When you realize the fella is there and your dog is about to turn its head, either click your fingers or using your leg to gently lean against the dogs shoulder pushing him until he slightly loses balance. Its pure distraction and about getting the dogs focus back to you.