Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gordon Taylor deluded

Players' union chief Gordon Taylor says the Football Association's £18,000-a-year contract offer to England's top women players is "embarrassing".

Hope Powell's squad have decided not to sign their central contracts after advice from the Professional Footballers' Association (PFA).

Taylor says the offer does not reflect the popularity of the women's game.

"Come on, that figure is embarrassing. Top Premier League players are earning more in a day," he said.

The PFA is seeking to reach an agreement with the FA as England women's previous £16,000-a-year deal ended in November and players went unpaid last month.

It is understood that negotiations between the PFA and FA centre around the additional 24 hours players are allowed to work each week in addition to players' central contracts and money they receive on a semi-professional basis from their clubs.

England have qualified for Euro 2013 in Sweden while the 2012 Olympics proved a big hit with fans, more than 70,000 turning out at Wembley for the GB women's win over Brazil.

Taylor said: "I am surprised the FA have not been more responsive to the girls' reasonable demand.

"In some ways, [the FA] have done a lot for the women's game, which now has increased TV coverage and obviously the facility at St George's Park [the recently opened FA centre of excellence in Burton] is available for both male and female players.

"But they are offering to move these central contracts up from £16,000, which has been the figure since 2009, to £18,000."

Surely he doesn't need anyone to tell him that womens football is of a shocking standard and hardly anyone pays to go and watch? Pretty ridiculous to think the 70k at the GB game were there for any other reason than to say "i went to an Olympic event".

I would bet good money that about 69k never go to another womens match in their life.

Comments

• Options
    Market forces will prevail
  • Options
    Thats about the same as a good semi-pro player earns (around £375 p/w)
  • Options
    Trade union leader looks for bigger wages for his members shock.

Can't see the problem myself. He's doing his job.

Without knowing how much money the England football team does or could generate it's hard to say what they are worth but just saying the standard of women's football is "shocking" isn't really an argument.
  • Options
    Yes he's doing his job, but trying to justify a raise for them by saying it's embarrassing because top male players earn that in a day is pointless.

18k a year to play football isn't a bad wage for a semi-pro as Gary says. Would the top female players be better or worse than a good semi-pro male player?
  • Options
    My daughter played for a "pro" football team and I was pleased and proud.Then I went to game and the standard was piss poor to be diplomatic. Even ASLEF and the RMT would struggle to get them anymore!
  • Options
    I think it is more about keeping the best England players in England and playing rather than having to be part time or going abroad. This is the international team we are talking about.

In the same way Engand Cricketers are tied to central contracts.

To build the womens game in this country the best players need to stay here and play.

Not as if there is no money in football or at the FA.
  • Options
    Sorry I do t think he is deluded at all as someone who has done some marketing for the woman's game via a sponsorship programme the fa should Atleast double that offer of 18

IMO there is no reason other than an outdated and out of touch mgmt within the fa

The 16k was in 2009 the game has moved on a great deal and so has the cost of sponsorship for the woman's game

We pulled away from a sponsorship package with the woman's England team due to the cost becoming to expensive in comparison to other years

So who gets that money as a big thing was made back in 2010 as to assisting the women earning a standard that would enable them to focus the majority of their time on football
  • Options
    "Come on, that figure is embarrassing. Top Premier League players are earning more in a day," he said.
    Easy answer then, his members in the PL with their vast salaries cough up and help pay for the women's team.
  • Options
    As I said there is enough sponsorship to cover it easily
  • Options
    richie8 said:

My daughter played for a "pro" football team and I was pleased and proud.Then I went to game and the standard was piss poor to be diplomatic. Even ASLEF and the RMT would struggle to get them anymore!

Piss poor compared to what? The men's game? Women tennis players couldn't compete against men, but that's not the point. I watched a few games during the Olympics and one in particular was a classic, USA v Canada.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Generally I think GT is a bit of a c0ck, and using £18k per day as a benchmark is appropriate neither for womens football nor for players outside the top ten or so clubs.

However, it's a chicken and egg situation - if the womens game is to improve it needs to be resourced adequately such that it can operate on at least a semi-pro basis.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    If womens' football was attracting 20k+ crowds a week or bringing in billions in advertising, sponsorship and tv revenue and players were only being offered 18k of that then he would have a point in comparing it to the men's top flight.

But it's not and economically it is similar to a professional pub singers' union demanding similar pay to what Mariah Carey takes home.

• Options
    It can afford more than what the offer is corporate sponsorship of woman's football although not as expensive as the men's game is not a cheap thing to do
  • Options
    Well I think that's that problem. These female players are no where as good as semi-pro and amateur players that they would be earning more than, purely based on the fact they are women. I've seen the England's women team play, and they won the game I saw, but the quality of football was below county league level, both in pace and technically.
  • Options
    I should add that i'm not saying Taylor is deluded for what he is actually fighting for, just that his reasoning is pathetic.

He should be lobbying clubs, sponsors for extra funding, not moaning that "the men earn that in a day".

Perhaps he could look into getting one of these top male players to 'sponsor' a top female player. Theo Walcott for example could give up a days wages to pay a top Arsenal ladies player for the entire season. Get to work Gordon.
  • Options
    It's a shame that they will always be compared to the men's game even by there representives, as we all no that it is just nature that they can not be quite as fast or all round good players as the men's does that mean they have no right to make a good living at what they do best?

I really wish we had not had to scrap the previous Charlton women's team as enjoyed the 2 cup finals i attended to watch them.

Losing to Arsenal i believe and then beating Everton the year after?

Good days out especially the year we won.

• Options
    If they are worth more they will get more.
  • Options

If womens' football was attracting 20k+ crowds a week or bringing in billions in advertising, sponsorship and tv revenue and players were only being offered 18k of that then he would have a point in comparing it to the men's top flight.

But it's not and economically it is similar to a professional pub singers' union demanding similar pay to what Mariah Carey takes home.

I did it Myyyyyyyyyyyyy WAAAAAAYYYYYYY (but I want more money for doing it) .. I like the pub singer analogy
  • Options

Not a big Mariah Carey fan, myself, but fair point.

However.... It is a bit chicken/egg. If you want the standard to go up, reasonable pay is required for the full timers to be able to improve. Personally I can't see womens domestic football catching the public imagination in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean the ladies shouldn't try. I went to watch the old Charlton Ladies once and it was not good. Wouldn't try it again.

By the way I once played in a pub tournament with a professional lady footballer from the Arsenal and let me tell you she was very good, better than all the amateur blokes, which maybe wasn't saying much, but she would never have been able to compete in the Ryman League (just my opinion). Not relevant to the subject, I know.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

However.... It is a bit chicken/egg. If you want the standard to go up, reasonable pay is required for the full timers to be able to improve. Personally I can't see womens domestic football catching the public imagination in my lifetime, but that doesn't mean the ladies shouldn't try. I went to watch the old Charlton Ladies once and it was not good. Wouldn't try it again.

By the way I once played in a pub tournament with a professional lady footballer from the Arsenal and let me tell you she was very good, better than all the amateur blokes, which maybe wasn't saying much, but she would never have been able to compete in the Ryman League (just my opinion). Not relevant to the subject, I know.
    But the shower room could have been interesting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I notice that he's not actually after more money for women in general, just the top players.

I don't see how giving the England national players more money would improve the standard of womens football in this country?

Surely our top women would improve by going to a better standard of league like Germany, France or Sweden?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What the average attendances at English women's premier league (or whatever it's called) games? Can't be much more than Welling get.

Agree with what Rodders says. Personally I think with low attendances, they are lucky to get 18k a year. Especially if they are only doing semi pro type hours.

Perhaps the FA should look at paying them a bonus when they play for England?

Also, if the attendances are low for domestic games then who exactly is it that wants the standard to improve??
  • Options

Interesting you should say that. A few years ago the Sunday league team I was playng for played a friendly against a touring women's university team from Australia. They had a few players who went on to play 'pro' and were generally thought of as a good standard. We beat them 17-0, and that was after being 11 up at half time, coasting through the second half, ending the game ten minutes early, and being a shit team ourselves. The standard of women's football is absolutely dreadful - it's slow, uncoordinated, as interesting to watch as paint drying and the goalkeepers! Ye GODS they're appalling - I have never seen one yet who would get into the worst men's Sunday team. Paying any of them anything is, frankly, ridiculous.
  • Options
    Is this how much they get paid by their clubs or how much they get for playing for England? Because don't the male England team donate their match fees to charity?

Also these women can surely make more money (probably more than you and I) through advertising and stuff.
  • Options
    The goalkeepers should get paid double any of the others just due to their comedy value
  • Options
    Someone arrange a match

Charlton life vs Charlton ladies
  • Options
    All jokes aside a good Sunday team would beat them
  • Options

It can afford more than what the offer is corporate sponsorship of woman's football although not as expensive as the men's game is not a cheap thing to do

But the revenue generated by sponsorship is only one part of the equation though isnt it ? It's misleading to say "sponsorship fees have gone up, their wages should go up proportionally".
    IdleHans said:

Generally I think GT is a bit of a c0ck, and using £18k per day as a benchmark is appropriate neither for womens football nor for players outside the top ten or so clubs.

However, it's a chicken and egg situation - if the womens game is to improve it needs to be resourced adequately such that it can operate on at least a semi-pro basis.

I'd imagine there's a fairly limited budget and giving the England players more would take away from the other areas of the women's game which require investment.

Comparisons with the men's are completely misleading. For a start these women are being offered £18k for what mist amount to a 3 day a week "job".

A better comparison would be with the income from the central governing body for a male athlete competing in what is essentially a minority sport.
  • Options
    A top female tennis player would beat me 6-0 6-0 every time.
    A top female golf player would beat me 17 holes out of 18 every time.

A top womens football team would probably have a battle to beat me and my mates.
    Therein lies the reason why the womens game is not that attractive to watch, and has negligible crowds.
  • Options
    Have no interest in Womens football, which is why I weren't up in arms when we folded ours, infact I agreed as it was costing Charlton money. Wouldn't open the backdoor if there was a womens match in my back garden.