Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The minutes applause....

....fug me, does that get harder every year.

Couple of people I knew well, and someone I didn't know had died. Was crying till about the fifth minute.

Fugging hard that.

RIP to all those fans and loved ones who have moved on to the Covered End in the sky

Comments

• Options
    Each year I see names I know ...wonderful tribute but always sad
  • Options
    Wasn't there today but has always been a real eye opener.
  • Options
    Had to hold it back. My grandad was a Millwall fan but held us very close to his heart as all the family supported charlton. He used to take me to the games and passed away earlier this year. His brother and brother in law passed away this year too. Thought about adding them to the list but couldn't really stomach it so I just had a quiet think.

RIP all.
  • Options
    Didn't know any of the names but still brings a lump to my throat RIP all
  • Options
    I had the name of one of my best friends added last year.

In a weird way I love it. I loved it last year. Even though my friend died in June it felt like he was there at the game when his name scrolled up the screen.

Having had plenty to time to think about it it, actually, gives me real comfort to think that after I've gone my name will scroll up hat screen with thousands of fellow fans clapping to recognise my long term support.
  • Options
    Brilliant tribute from a brilliant club
  • Options
    I thought it was a nice touch that the club must have contacted people at Blackpool so they could give a name check to some notable people with Blackpool links.
    For all the frustration this club causes me, it's at times like this when I'm most proud to support Charlton.
    Classy.
  • Options
    The guy next to me lost his father just before Christmas and he was up there. And a few recognisable names. It's a great gesture keeping links to what makes this club special in times when the sands are shifting. We always include the opposition although this year I am not sure if their fans were included or if it is just "names". Do any other clubs do this
  • Options
    Lost my father a few years back, and it was nice to see his name on the screen shortly afterwards. It's a lovely touch by a fantastic football club. Sometimes we all have to take a step back and look at what's really important and yesterday was one of those moments.
  • Options
    As you get older - more names you recognise appear. Iots of the names are people who have supported the club all their lives - like us. I think it is a brilliant thing to do and I do feel a lump in my throat as I clap. Colin Cameron's name helped - for all of us, I would imagine he has been an ever present part of the club in the years we have been supporters. RIP all of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lump in my throat when my sisters name came up.
  • Options
    Very moving as usual. Lump in the throat time for those names you know in particular - though there seems to be more each year. It also gets me thinking about those from previous years.

The names seemed to fly passed very quickly this time. I do think it could be slowed down slightly.
  • Options
    I noticed that Everton did this the other week. I'm proud that Charlton are the pioneers in so many community based initiatives.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Addickted said:
    The names seemed to fly passed very quickly this time. I do think it could be slowed down slightly.

Agree with this :-(
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Agreed: if your eyesight's a bit dodgy you just can't keep up with it at all. Is it because it really does have to take 'one minute'?
  • Options
    Will we ever get the minutes silence back in football? The minutes applause seemed to start when George Best died, which is unerstanable given the type of player he was, but I don't understand why it's now used to mark every single death. It doesn't always feel appropriate to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Will we ever get the minutes silence back in football? The minutes applause seemed to start when George Best died, which is unerstanable given the type of player he was, but I don't understand why it's now used to mark every single death. It doesn't always feel appropriate to me.

Maybe not but it helps to drown out any idiots who don't have the decency to keep quiet and show some respect.
  • Options
    I can't thank you all enough for the respect you paid yesterday. Just lost my dad and his name being applauded by everyone including players was very comforting. For the record I was the guy crying like a baby in lower north!
  • Options

I can't thank you all enough for the respect you paid yesterday. Just lost my dad and his name being applauded by everyone including players was very comforting. For the record I was the guy crying like a baby in lower north!

Crying helps sometimes! Team did him proud.
  • Options
    I would think the speed of the list would depend on the number if names to fit in within the minute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Maybe not but it helps to drown out any idiots who don't have the decency to keep quiet and show some respect.
    I understand this is probably the reason but that's not a good enough reason for me. Why should we pander to idiots who can't keep their mouth shut. If they can't keep quiet for one minute thn kick them out.

Sorry if I've detracted from the original thread subject.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I would think the speed of the list would depend on the number if names to fit in within the minute.

Possibly but why can't it take as long as is needed within reason failing which spread it over two home games split alphabetically but let's not devalue it by going too fast with the roll call please.
  • Options
    I prefer the applause to the minutes silence, much more fitting in the football context.
  • Options
    Lost my father last year,he and brothers all loved charlton as me and my son now do.
  • Options
    For me the applause seems like a celebration and almost a thank you to the people that are no longer there. I don't know if silence would seem quite so moving. To be fair a minutes' silence is normally well respected by nearly all fans, so I hope the decision to show appreciation by clapping is because it is a "positive" mark of respect.
    But I haven't lost someone close and seen their name on the screen maybe I would feel different, but for me I think I prefer the idea of clapping.
  • Options
    Personally don't mind applause or silence. One thing in favour, imho, of applause is it keeps 11/11/11 special.

Not sure if the names are scrolling faster. It may just seem that way if there is a particular name you are looking for.

The first time we did it the ref blew after 50 seconds despite being told it was 60. There were still names scrolling.

My dads name was up there last year so I can empathise with anyone who had a relative on the screen this time around.
  • Options
    Brings a lump to my throat when I think of the two very special people this tribute brings to my mind.
  • Options
    Before the week of the annual tribute, we always contact the away club to ask if they want to provide any names that would be significant for them/their fans. Some get more involved than others, but I believe it's fitting and more inclusive if we're asking their fans to join in what is our tribute.

We only have a minute, so the list scrolls as quickly as necessary to fit in the names during that time. There were slightly fewer names than last year (I think), so the list would actually have been marginally slower.

Given what happned before, when the referee started on his mark and then blew after a minute (when the last few names were still scrolling), we now ask the referee to begin the minute when the first name appeared.

The full list will be published on www.cafc.co.uk this week (including a couple more names that were submitted too late for the programme/big screen deadlines), and footage from the day will be available on CAFC Player and the club's YouTube channel.
  • Options
    Fantastic tradition, still remember my Grandad's name up there many years ago, about as miserable an old git as you could ever find at a game but loved this club, his favourite phrase when we went a goal ahead was "atleast the other team have to score 2".

• Options

Fantastic tradition, still remember my Grandad's name up there many years ago, about as miserable an old git as you could ever find at a game but loved this club, his favourite phrase when we went a goal ahead was "atleast the other team have to score 2".

When our second goal went in yesterday I remember thinking "at least they have to score three"