Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

FANS FORUM

I have received a letter dated 8th January from Michael Slater, in which he advises that the new Chief Operating Officer, Steve Bradshaw will be making the necessary arrangements with regards to the Fans Forum.

A very positive sign, which was confirmed in yesterday's Valley Review and one which indicates that the Club are fully aware of the need to restore the lines of communication with its supporters.

Comments

• Options
    Good news even if it taken far too long.

I doubted it would ever be resurrected so proved me wrong (or maybe they just read the five year season ticket thread and thought that talking to your "customer" was actually a smart idea!)
  • Options
    Of course the fans' forum replaced the fans' director. I didn't agree with that or the justification for it given at the time, but that's history now.

What I will say is that unless a director attends the forum meetings it is being downgraded again. I hear good reports about Steve Bradshaw, but he is not a director and his role is not an overview of the business.

A director needs to attend or the link between the fans and the board is broken. And for practical purposes it will be more difficult to get things agreed.

Prothero should be justifying his enormous part-time salary by attending these meetings. But will he?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Only time will tell whether this reflects a genuine desire to understand fans' views or is just paying lip service. As Airman says, IF no board member were to spare the time to hear the input firsthand it wouldn't bode well. We'll see.
  • Options
    My understanding is there are four people on the board these days. Three have no real power and the fourth one ain't coming.

If that's right then I don't suppose it really matters if one of the three turns up or not, does it? I mean, what are the realistically going to say or do, other than give it a bit of lip service?
  • Options
    What is prothero doing at the moment Airman? What do his duties include?
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I'm not the best person to answer that question, I think!

However, I understand that the structure is that the chief operating officer, the chief finance officer and the chief marketing officer (not yet named, although rumoured to have been appointed) report to him. He was supposed to deal with strategic matters, like the academy development, but I am not clear if he is in practice. He will also do the legwork on transfers.
    Off_it said:

My understanding is there are four people on the board these days. Three have no real power and the fourth one ain't coming.

If that's right then I don't suppose it really matters if one of the three turns up or not, does it? I mean, what are the realistically going to say or do, other than give it a bit of lip service?

It's not really about who has the power, though. The fans' forum doesn't have any realistic influence on the football side and Jimenez has shown no interest in the nuts and bolts of running the club and wouldn't have anything useful to contribute on the kind of things the forum tends to discuss. Prothero as supervisor of the three senior staff should know what is going on, feed back anything relevant and be able to act as the link.

My guess is he won't because I think he wants to keep as low a profile as possible. There's no reason why he couldn't attend and chair the VIP meeting. But perhaps he will.
  • Options

He will also do the legwork on transfers.
    Had a busy month so far then.
  • Options
    Hard not to keep a low profile when you are employed one day a week and don't want to spend too long travelling. Given the time available, does listening to the gripes of the Fans Forum prioritise? The quality of the food available at half-time and the sloth of the service are reflected in sales and revenue. He can see the holes in the car park for himself etc.
  • Options
    How about we back the re-established Fans Fourm with the same gusto that we do the Supporters Trust? Lets not knock it with personal bitterness and predictions of doom before they've even had their first meeting.
  • Options
    I'm certainly prepared to back the FF even though Rick, Steve and Wendy are now missing. IMO a lot of very good but unseen work went on by them and the FF reps, but in having meetings with the troublesome trio, supporters did have direct access to a board member. I too am very concerned about that link having been removed, but I am also in no doubt that the FF guys and gals will continue to do their utmost.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'm certainly prepared to back the FF even though Rick, Steve and Wendy are now missing. IMO a lot of very good but unseen work went on by them and the FF reps, but in having meetings with the troublesome trio, supporters did have direct access to a board member. I too am very concerned about that link having been removed, but I am also in no doubt that the FF guys and gals will continue to do their utmost.

Sounds like the dreaded vote of confidence, stilladdicted !

• Options
    DRF said:

How about we back the re-established Fans Fourm with the same gusto that we do the Supporters Trust? Lets not knock it with personal bitterness and predictions of doom before they've even had their first meeting.

Not really comparing like with like in my view.

The fans' forum was (is) a club inspired initiative with terms of reference all framed by the club.

That is not inevitably a bad thing but a statement of fact.

The Supporters' Trust is an embryonic fans' inspired initiative which eventually could veer into any number of directions but what does happen will be determined by the members, ie the fans.

The two organisations could complement each other and, if members are savvy rather than parochial, work to the mutual benefit of all.
  • Options
    Agree Len, its not an either/or situation.

Here's a suggestion. Invite the Trust to join the Fans Forum.
  • Options
    Good posts by Len and Henry. I'm nit sure that the forum does actually need a director attending to prove it's viability, providing the club attendee can talk for the club and make things happen. A lot depends on how much the club structure allows authority to be delegated down a level.
  • Options
    Perhaps we should set up a quango to oversee the Fans Forum and CATrust ;o)
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited January 2013
    LenGlover said:

DRF said:

The fans' forum was (is) a club inspired initiative with terms of reference all framed by the club.

The Supporters' Trust is an embryonic fans' inspired initiative which eventually could veer into any number of directions but what does happen will be determined by the members, ie the fans.

The two organisations could complement each other and, if members are savvy rather than parochial, work to the mutual benefit of all.
    But neither of those explainations are reasons to knock one whilst supporting the other. Which is what has happened. Many (including you by using the past tense) have made out that the FF is dead and buried.

I am not knocking the Trust just advocating, Long Live the Fans Forum.
  • Options
    DRFDRF
    edited January 2013
    Double post.

• Options
    I recommended to Michael Slater over a month ago that the Trust be invited to participate in the Fans Forum and have heard nothing since then to suggest that this will not happen.
  • Options
    DRF said:

LenGlover said:

DRF said:

But neither of those explainations are reasons to knock one whilst supporting the other. Which is what has happened. Many (including you by using the past tense) have made out that the FF is dead and buried.

I am not knocking the Trust just advocating, Long Live the Fans Forum.
    I thought I'd used both past and present tense "was (is)" but I think we actually both agree that it is possible for the two organisations to complement each other so I'll leave it at that.
  • Options
    Current info on the fans forum from the OS (seems a bit out of date here and there though, so not sure if it is 'current')

Read more about the Charlton fans' forum and how you can contact members

The Charlton fans' forum was reconstituted in its current form during 2010. However, members of the forum recognise that many supporters do not know what the forum does, who is on it and how to express their views.

Input from fans is an integral part of the success of the forum, and we would like to outline here a little more about its workings and how you can contact forum members.

The forum, which stemmed from the elected fans' director who historically desceneded on the Charlton board, comprises representatives from various groups, including regional supporters' groups, VIP five-year season-ticket holders, the disabled supporters' association, travel groups and others.

It is much more than a vehicle serving those within each represented group, though. Fans are encouraged to contact any member of the forum and should not be discouraged simply because they are not part of an official group.

The forum's membership is designed to ensure that it contains a wide cross-section of Charlton supporters, all of whom have the best interests of the club at heart, and is not intended to exclude anyone.

We are all very approachable and look forward to hearing from you either by email, by telephone, or in person at matches.

We meet regularly to discuss issues affecting fans and new ideas. Matters discussed may include transportation, communication, fans' events, the matchday experience, player appearances, regional matters and much more.

To be successful, the forum is reliant upon input from supporters, whether that is raising issues which affect them or suggesting solutions and ideas. As such, we would like to hear from you.

In return, the forum recognises that two-way communication is important, and we will endeavour to update fans regularly with news of what we discuss and any action that is taken.

The forum currently has a representative from each of the supporters' groups detailed below. Feel free to contact any of the representatives and we will ensure that your query reaches the right person within the club.

Finally, if you are a member of a significant supporters' group and would like to elect a representative to join the forum, please get in touch.

Contacts

Syd Cheeswright (coach and group rail travel**) 020-8688 3916

John Commerford (Ashford & Shepway Addicks) ashfordandshepwayaddicks@talktalk.net

Jean Huelin (North-West Kent Addicks) jeanhuelin@sky.com or 07757 661403

Heather Robertson (Charlton Athletic Disabled Supporters' Association) m_robertson57@yahoo.com or info@cadsa.org.uk

Craig Parrett (VIP season-ticket holders) craig_cafc_vip@yahoo.co.uk

Vernon Roper (West Sussex & Brighton CASC) vernon.roper@btclick.com

Ian Wallis (Bromley Addicks) ianlwallis@aol.com

David White David.White@axiafx.com

* If you have an issue you wish to raise regarding coach travel organised by the football club, please contact Wendy Perfect or Lisa Squires in the commercial centre in the first instance. On the other hand, group rail travel is organised by Syd independently of the club.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History of the fans' forum

For 16 years, Charlton had one of the most unique positions in English football - a fan, elected by their fellow fans, to sit on the board of the football club and represent the views of all supporters.

However, changes in corporate law placed an increasing burden on the elected fans' director in the final years of the role, so in summer 2008, the Addicks announced the club would introduce a new fans' forum to ensure supporters' views would still be heard at the highest levels of the club.

The precedent of the supporters' representative director began in 1992 when the Valley Investment Plan (VIP) was launched to help finance the work necessary to enable the club to return to The Valley from Upton Park.

The VIP scheme established the opportunity for one of its members to be elected to the football club board to represent everyone who had contributed.

From 1993-2003, this position was held by four outstanding individuals - Steve Clarke, Craig Norris, Mick Gebbett and Wendy Perfect - who participated with great enthusiasm in the decision-making processes of the club.

The end of the VIP scheme then led to an expansion allowing all adult season-ticket holders to vote for a representative in 2003, leading to the election of Sue Townsend and, subsequently, Ben Hayes, in 2006.

The duo, also outstanding, continued to offer sound and constructive input and most importantly made sure the views of ordinary supporters were heard in the boardroom.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    The Fans Forum Meeting has now been scheduled for Tuesday 5th February with both Steve Bradshaw and Michael Slater in attendance.
  • Options
    Good news
  • Options
    CAFC have now invited the Trust to send a representative to the Fans Forum Meeting on Tuesday 5th February, 2013 at which both Steve Bradshaw and Michael Slater will be in attendance.
  • Options
    Excellent news, we are very keen to establish as good a relationship as possible with CAFC Board, I think a partnership between club and fans is the best way of achieving the primary aims of the Trust.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Good news.

I signed up for the Trust last night and signed up Henry Jnr.

Richard was impressed that he had got such a coup : - )

Think he missed a trick not giving MS and CP honoury membership though.
  • Options
    Good news indeed. Can we wait until after the meeting before saying negative comments about this development please ;-)
  • Options

CAFC have now invited the Trust to send a representative to the Fans Forum Meeting on Tuesday 5th February, 2013 at which both Steve Bradshaw and Michael Slater will be in attendance.

I should also thank some members of the FF who requested our presence, CAS Trust can only succeed with the backing of CAFC stakeholders i.e. fans and fans groups, something which the executive and myself are fully mindful of.

• Options
    Bumped in case people missed the update
  • Options
    Now on www.castrust.org
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So what was raised, what was discussed, what were the sandwiches like?