Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rory McIlroy, Nike and the $250m, 10-year sponsorship deal

13»

Comments

• Options

Has just shot a 9 over 80 in the "Dubai Duty Free Irish Open Hosted by the Rory Foundation" - the worst round so far by any player. This follows him missing the cut at the BMW.

Off his game, pressure of it being "his" tournament or something more personal affecting him?

Dont know why AA. but i get the impression that all you do all day is watch cricket and golf and post on here.!
    You shouldn't forget the horse racing. And the football if that's going on too. But then that's what I do to make ends meet. Tt is difficult at times to follow them all at the same time and post but a duel screen computer, three TVs and Sky Go on an Ipad means I usually manage ;-)

Sometimes though I do have to leave the house if only to take Seb to a cricket match - like tomorrow when he plays for Kent in the return fixture against Sussex.
    Fantastic for Seb - and for you, of course. How's he been doing this year? - obviously very well. I'll keep an eye out for him.
  • Options
    are the conditions windy /particularly challenging today ? ...i hope its nothing "personal" ..when he split up with CW he went and won immediately after that .I think its maybe that he is committing to too much golf .I am not sure the trip back to Europe has worked for him ....too may tournaments on the trot etc .I can see him leaving the European Tour
  • Options

Has just shot a 9 over 80 in the "Dubai Duty Free Irish Open Hosted by the Rory Foundation" - the worst round so far by any player. This follows him missing the cut at the BMW.

Off his game, pressure of it being "his" tournament or something more personal affecting him?

Dont know why AA. but i get the impression that all you do all day is watch cricket and golf and post on here.!
    You shouldn't forget the horse racing. And the football if that's going on too. But then that's what I do to make ends meet. Tt is difficult at times to follow them all at the same time and post but a duel screen computer, three TVs and Sky Go on an Ipad means I usually manage ;-)

Sometimes though I do have to leave the house if only to take Seb to a cricket match - like tomorrow when he plays for Kent in the return fixture against Sussex.
    Fantastic for Seb - and for you, of course. How's he been doing this year? - obviously very well. I'll keep an eye out for him.
    He's doing OK. If anything the fact that he bats, bowls, keeps and captains at times (not many kids can say they've done all of those at county level by the time they are 12) has diluted his progress. Plus the fact that 13 of the squad of 14 bowl and bat means, by definition, the opportunities to perform are limited too. He accepts that and is just glad to be part of it.
  • Options
    There hadn't been a comment on this thread for about 18 months. During this time McIlroy's was winning, and winning well, consistently.
    He has a couple of bad rounds and the thread about his Nike deal resurfaces. That's a bit odd.
  • Options

There hadn't been a comment on this thread for about 18 months. During this time McIlroy's was winning, and winning well, consistently.
    He has a couple of bad rounds and the thread about his Nike deal resurfaces. That's a bit odd.

I could have started a new thread but didn't see the need to or opened a more recent thread but couldn't find one. Presumably because any comment about McIlroy has been made on the likes of the Masters thread. Should I have opened that one?

A couple of bad rounds? This is the World Number One at his Tournament and cards THE worst round of 116 golfers currently on the course. It is also his worst round for over four years. Add to that this is his tournament for which loads of Irish kids have turned out to watch him.

In the BMW he missed the cut in a tournament he won last year and a lot of people backed him to do so again. If he isn't right mentally through fatigue then he needs to be honest about it. A player of his quality simply doesn't shoot those scores. Let's also not forget that he got himself fined in that event for literally throwing his toys out of the pram!
  • Options

I could have started a new thread but didn't see the need to or opened a more recent thread but couldn't find one. Presumably because any comment about McIlroy has been made on the likes of the Masters thread. Should I have opened that one?

A couple of bad rounds? This is the World Number One at his Tournament and cards THE worst round of 116 golfers currently on the course. It is also his worst round for over four years. Add to that this is his tournament for which loads of Irish kids have turned out to watch him.

In the BMW he missed the cut in a tournament he won last year and a lot of people backed him to do so again. If he isn't right mentally through fatigue then he needs to be honest about it. A player of his quality simply doesn't shoot those scores. Let's also not forget that he got himself fined in that event for literally throwing his toys out of the pram!
    did you have money on him?
  • Options

did you have money on him?
    In the BMW but not here because I figured something wasn't right. Though I must say that, initially, I put that down to him having to play with Niall Horan in the Pro Am. Enough to upset anyone that.
  • Options
    Actually he has admitted being mentally fatigued.
    This week meant a lot to him, it's his foundations tournament, all his winnings go to his charity - he has been up to his ears doing press work and interviews daily.

It's also well known he doesn't like playing in cold and windy conditions.

Having watched him last week at wentworth and on TV today looks like he could do with some time off and a couple of lessons.
  • Options

Lol. Yes, a couple of bad rounds. Which is what you then described.

Look, I'm not that bothered, I just thought digging up a thread on his sponsorship on the back of a couple of bad rounds was strange and a bit, if I may, 'paulieesque'.
    (Apologies to @paulie8290 , but you know what I mean. :wink: )

Don't sweat it though, it doesn't really matter. :smile:
  • Options
    Maybe he can't take time off because his endorsements say he must play in a set number of tournaments.

Like the Sky football contract, you takes their money and then dance to their tune.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:

Maybe he can't take time off because his endorsements say he must play in a set number of tournaments.

Like the Sky football contract, you takes their money and then dance to their tune.

i think Nike would just like him to be successful ....i think its a bit of burn out ,i can see him leaving the european tour and playing stateside full time ...he has a stated preference for playing in the US so it would all make sense

• Options
    Or is hoping to work through it and get back in the groove by playing out the weaknesses. Which may or may not work and is probably a psychological thing. Getting stuck in a bit of a rut but carrying on forwards instead of simply taking a step back to re-evaluate and relax is probably a side-effect of being as competitive as you'd need to be to become a top sportsperson.
  • Options

Don't want to turn this into a witch hunt against GGA - his heart is in the right place. Personally, I find it a problem that pretty much anything I buy will have come via exploited labour - be it the cotton being picked by children in India, the dye applied in factories with dreadful safety records in Indonesia, or the 14 year old girl stitching it together over fourteen hour days in China - but I long ago realised that there isn't a damn thing that I, you, or anyone else can do about it. You just have to reconcile yourself to this one thing and live with it:

"The world's fucked".

In fact, that's pretty much my mantra nowadays.

The world will be saved by our lord the Feeeesh!
  • Options
    I see Rory managed to card a par 71 today. But still failed to make the cut in this tournament for the third consecutive year. Not sure his charity is going to benefit too much in prize money from that performance :-(
  • Options
    Not going so well for him. Has now ruptured his left ankle ligament in a kickabout with friends and is a doubt for The Open.

It does amaze me how many top sportsmen risk such injury playing football e.g. how many do get hurt in the "warm up" before a cricket match. If I were 12th man I'd probably sneak a late tackle in just to get in the team!