Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Record Shop thread

Comments

• Options
    (Jeanie) Reeds off of Peckham Rye Lane

britishrecordshoparchive.org/reed-records.html
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    On Youtube there's interesting footage of Terry Reid performing at the very first Glastonbury festival in 1971.
    Evocative period piece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTRpsNG0z0k

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I've pored over that many times. Great footage. I love the drummer having one last toke a split second before coming in on the beat.

Sorry to turn this into a Terry Reid love-in, but this is one my favourites. Mayfly. Fantastic vocal. He was a teenager when he recorded this. Imagine that:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9e6dLCaLxA
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

Hawksmoor I did eventually see them a number of times but to see them in such an intimate venue must have been unbelievable, not to mention ear splitting. Nice recall on Terry Reid he was indeed Jimmy Pages first choice but at least Planty then bought John Bonham with him! Don't know if you are aware but Terry Reid was also Richie Blackmores choice for Deep Purple and he turned them down as well so they got Ian Gillan instead. Jeez he said not to two of the biggest rock bands of all time I wonder what he would say about it now?

Reid's good-naturedly philosophical about turning down two huge groups. He's still around and still got a great voice, although he clearly enjoys the odd light ale. I saw him at the Jazz Cafe earlier this year, with Rumer making an unannounced appearance on his song Brave Awakening, which she covered on her last album. Nice looking girl, and not nearly as dumpy as she appears on Jools Holland.

The story goes that Reid turned down Page because he was about to support the Stones on a US tour, but he recommended this young kid from Wolverhampton who'd supported him a few weeks before, and not only that, he's got a fantastic drummer!

And Planty is very generous in his praise for Terry Reid. His great quote is: 'Terry Reid should've had my life!'

There was another great quote from Aretha Franklin when she returned to the States after touring the UK. On asked what was happening in 'England', she replied: 'There's only three things happening in England. The Beatles, The Stones and Terry Reid.'

He could have been huge but he was locked into a toxic contract with Mickie Most. Most refused to release any of Reid's records after Reid crossed him and refused to let him out of the contract. So while he was getting great word-of-mouth, and he was a great looking bloke in the Sixties and Seventies, there were no records to back that up.

Guys a legend in my book.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x-tD9VdUOI
  • Options
    Alan Freeman had a shop in Bromley High Street.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Badger said:

Alan Freeman had a shop in Bromley High Street.

"Hi Pop-Pickers!"

• Options
    And one of actor David Morrissey's favourite songs in the latest Q magazine? Terry Reid's May Fly.
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:

I remember hoovering up every Tim Bukley album in Selectadisc, when a very attractive girl working in there told me that Buckley's son, Jeff, is playing at the Garage in a few weeks. I thought, 'Why would I want to go and see Tim Buckley's son?' What a dolt, I was!you have very good taste Hawksmoor Tim Buckley was a great singer I am often playing his and Tim Rose's albums (when the wife goes out). was the record shop in Woolwich near Excel cycles called Drysdales. ? also do any old timers out there remember the Black Cat club in the square woolwich a good venue in the late sixties

y

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Good story, Hawksmoor. I've still got a few Jeff Buckley albums.

And one of his Dad's!
  • Options

What was the name of the big record shop in Croydon?

Beanos?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What was the name of the big record shop in Croydon?

Beanos?
    Echo :)
  • Options

The MUSIC SHOP in Thomas St, Woolwich. Everything from records/cassettes/sheet music/instruments!

They used to supply the records played at the Valley in the 60's.
    Seem to remember the sheet music and stuff was downstairs in some weird basement room staffed by an old hag.
    Very Addams Family!

(ps Grovelling apologies if any lifer was related in some way ;-)

I brought some pretty rough amps and guitars from there, did the job though, the valves warming up the hands in cold draughty halls.

• Options
    Someone said that Cloud 9 was in the Broadway centre in Bexleyheath but I remember it being right down on the way to Welling, not far from the jobcentre. I used to go either there or to another little shop in Dartford, between the Arndale centre and the swimming pool. Does anyone remember what this was called? I remember still going there as late as 93-94 when I used to go to the pool every Saturday in summer.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I had many a happy day rummaging through the racks of the record shops on that street, & there used to be a fair few more that were around on Wardour St & around the Chinatown area. I used to love grabbing some of the promo albums that had been sold to the shops by journos. Always before official release & always dirt cheap! All of that is sadly gone now though!

Probably Cheapo Cheapo and Steve Sounds.

Used to buy and sell quite a bit to cheapo, in the early 70s.....
    For a time they sold bootlegs, you could buy all sort of stuff. Remember I bought the King Crimson 'in the court '
    Must have sold dozens there in my time, especially at the end of term when my grant money ran out.......I used to use them as a 'Pawn shop'.
    Kensington Market was good as well. The original Virgin in Oxford street was great, relaxed atmosphere, with the round seating area, listerning to bootleg stuff. Not sure I bought too many records but a great place for customers.

• Options
    there are a couple of good DVD's out about record shops in Britain, 'Last Shop Standing' and 'Sound It Out', that are well worth a watch
  • Options
    The few remaining independant record shops will really struggle after this lockdown, Il try n support my local store ‘Left for Dead’ in Shrewsbury.
  • Options
    Anyone remember Bonapartes in Bromley? Use to go there late 70s early 80s for all my records. Lots of punk, new wave etc

• Options
    edited May 2020
    I used to by from Elpees (I think) in North Heath. There was also a shop in Erith if you were desperate. 
    Then I started buying in the West End. Steve's Sounds off the Charing Cross Road was good for a while and there were a couple of good shops in Berwick Street, plus two or three more in a back street behind the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. Places to get the clear vinyl 7" of Vienna by Ultravox, or the picture disc OMD 12" of Locomotion.
    Memories eh!
  • Options
    KettsJohn said:
    Anyone remember Bonapartes in Bromley? Use to go there late 70s early 80s for all my records. Lots of punk, new wave etc

Yes , in the Market Square , next to where Costa's is now. Spent my wages in there on a Friday as a teenager, if you brought punk the bloke used to sell it cheap to you , couple of quid. I think his name was Guy ? , tall kid . Happy days then.
  • Options
    I used to by from Elpees (I think) in North Heath. There was also a shop in Erith if you were desperate. 
    Then I started buying in the West End. Steve's Sounds off the Charing Cross Road was good for a while and there were a couple of good shops in Berwick Street, plus two or three more in a back street behind the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road. Places to get the clear vinyl 7" of Vienna by Ultravox, or the picture disc OMD 12" of Locomotion.
    Memories eh!
    My mum, Ivy, worked in Elpees which was handy going to Erith comp, Lunchtimes spent listening through their secondhand albums.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Diamond records catford anyone? 
  • Options
    Spinning Disc and Elpees in Orpington, Bonapartes in Bromley and 101 and Beanos in Croydon. Spent a fair few quid in those over the years. Now all gone.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Memories eh!
    In the 70s there were absolutely loads of shops in Soho. Was Steve's Sounds in the little alleyway just past Leicester Square tube ? Think there was another shop right next door to Steve & in those little shops further up a couple of them had records for sale in their basements. Opposite Steves not sure if there was a tiny market or just a big shop with boxes & boxes of records & then round the corner at the top of Gerrard street behind where the Fire Station is (or has it shutdown now ?) used to be a market with 3 or 4 stalls selling records, think that may have been weekends only ? Then cross over & walk along Shaftsbury Avenue towards Piccadilly & if you took any turning on your right hand side & you would find shops with boxes of records. Of course Rupert Street you had Cheapos Cheapos with 7in singles on the stall outside, albums inside with the very rude owners :-:smiley:  Opposite Cheapos there was a big shop which for a couple of years at least sold all albums. Through the arch into Berwick Street & you had Harlequins which unknown to me at the time had a couple of boxes under the counter of rare (at the time) 60s soul & then various other record shops along the street & again some were in basements with clothes shops etc upstairs. Carnaby Street had a mini market with various record stalls + a couple of shops just off the main street & Hanway Street always had loads of record shops, Contempo was the best for soul as they used to have a delivery every week of loads of new releases from the states as well as loads of oldies. A great time to be out digging for records, I just wish I'd known then what I know now.

Just reread your post Ken "plus two or three more in a back street behind the junction of Oxford Street and Tottenham Court Road." that was Hanway street.
  • Options
    Someone said that Cloud 9 was in the Broadway centre in Bexleyheath but I remember it being right down on the way to Welling, not far from the jobcentre. I used to go either there or to another little shop in Dartford, between the Arndale centre and the swimming pool. Does anyone remember what this was called? I remember still going there as late as 93-94 when I used to go to the pool every Saturday in summer.
    Yep, you're right bro'. (I realise this is an old thread that's been revived for some reason)

Cloud Nine was all the way down the Broadway, past the cinema. TW records was on the corner on the opposite side to the Police station. I used to spend 15 mins or so in TW's of a schoolday afternoon whilst waiting for my bus home. Often flicking  through the albums not really knowing who all the artists were. Some covers that stood out to me were Roxy Music's one with the naked women on (pulling bubble gum off her boobs ?) and Derek & Clive Live with a face full of sick. And then Never mind the Bollocks of course. Back then (early 80's) I was mainly into the Beatles, ELO & Gary Numan ( weird mix).
  • Options
    Yep, you're right bro'. (I realise this is an old thread that's been revived for some reason)

Cloud Nine was all the way down the Broadway, past the cinema. TW records was on the corner on the opposite side to the Police station. I used to spend 15 mins or so in TW's of a schoolday afternoon whilst waiting for my bus home. Often flicking  through the albums not really knowing who all the artists were. Some covers that stood out to me were Roxy Music's one with the naked women on (pulling bubble gum off her boobs ?) and Derek & Clive Live with a face full of sick. And then Never mind the Bollocks of course. Back then (early 80's) I was mainly into the Beatles, ELO & Gary Numan ( weird mix).
    TW records had a connection with Charlton I seem to remember. 

Some kind of discount for season ticket holders or something like that.

• Options
    Beckenham record trade
  • Options
    Ray Sams lifelong Charlton season ticket holder (still goes) owned TW Records in Bexleyheath, Erith and Plumstead!
  • Options
    I used to buy vinyl from cheapos and Steve's sounds, would always pop round to soho square just on the edge of Chinatown and buy stuff from the Rock On Record stall which is where i bought the Nips self-financed single "Gabrielle" from Shane MacGowan.
  • Options
    Shrew said:
    The few remaining independant record shops will really struggle after this lockdown, Il try n support my local store ‘Left for Dead’ in Shrewsbury.
    Reckless Records in Berwick Street, family run record shop 
    https://reckless.co.uk/
  • Options
    Groove Records Greek Street Soho... for Soul, Jazz , Jazz Funk and hot new USA imports.