Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone near Vauxhall Cross? Helicopter Crash

WSSWSS
edited January 2013 in Not Sports Related
Reports of a helicopter crashing into a crane.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Talking about this on R5L.
  • Options
  • Options
    BBC LONDON 94.9 ‏@BBCLondon949
    Helicopter crashes in crane http://bbc.in/Ura3uN
  • Options
    Isn't there a helipad near there at the Verta Hotel?
  • Options
    Just been a news flash here about it too......news travels fast.
  • Options
    All over the news channels.
    Apparently, there was only a pilot on board, but there are 2 cars involved so there's no indication of number of casualties.
    Scary shit.
  • Options
    Helipad in Batersea
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    The Met have confirmed it wasnt one of their aircraft; and BBC News mentioned it was an Agusta 104... But that's bullshit as they were never produced - and 101 and 109 appear to be military helicopters.

One of the major concerns appears to be the fact the crane is now hanging off.

A bit curious really as the cranes don't generally protrude too far from the top of the building - so it appears incredibly unlucky. Although witnesses on BBC News have said it appeared the helicopter was looking to land at the time.

Hopefully there arent too many injured. Thoughts are with the families right now, nasty business.

Edit: BBC news are now saying an Agusta 109. When describing it, she gave a word by word quote of the Wikipedia introduction; en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AgustaWestland_AW109

Its not believed to be terrorist related. More likely a helicopter approaching Battersea Helipad.

Eyewitness that took the footage that is being looped on BBC News (which is bloody headache inducing when it's been on loop for over 30mins) says he saw 3 cars involved.

The possibility of there not being adequate warning lights at the top of the crane has been raised. Although at the moment that is pure conjecture and rumour.
  • Options
    Two confirmed dead.
  • Options
    Rumours are it was a Weston Homes helicopter - that's on the jungle drums in the construction industry

We have a guy on site that overlooks Battersea power station and he can see what's going on from the roof of the building. From where it crashed it would have flown over my man (who is working on the roof) to get to Battersea.

Scary stuff
  • Options
    Very near the MI6 building.
  • Options
    Firefighters have rescued a man from a burning car close to seen on the #helicoptercrash in Vauxhall
  • Options

Firefighters have rescued a man from a burning car close to seen on the #helicoptercrash in Vauxhall

Good stuff.

Got nothing but total respect for Londons firefighters
  • Options
    Conspiracy theorists already out
  • Options
    JT said:

To be honest, when I first heard about where this was I thought of the MI6 building straight away.

• Options
    JT said:

It was an accident, you can't do much damage with a helicopter. It was near one of our sites.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Exactly !
  • Options
    Met Police: Two dead, nine injured, one critically ill in #helicoptercrash in Vauxhall
  • Options

Good stuff.

Funnily I have nothing but contempt for them. Each to their own and all that.

• Options
    did they leave someone you know burning in a fire Swisdom?
  • Options
    Kind of- yes. But that's not my sole reason for not being a fan.

My sister is a paramedic and my brother in law is a Met police officer. Firemen earn a hell of a lot more and work a hell of a lot less hours yet still find time to go on strike regularly. Most have a 2nd income too as their hours permit it.

Paramedics and Police are not fans either
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Good stuff.

Funnily I have nothing but contempt for them. Each to their own and all that.

Really ?
  • Options
    I have no relations or friendships with any firemen/women, police or paramedics but sounds like a bit of jealousy to me.
  • Options
    I've got a couple of mates that are firefighters and they do have a huge dislike of the police and the other way round.

I think it's to do with neither liking being ordered about by the other.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Swisdom said:

My sister is a paramedic and my brother in law is a Met police officer. Firemen earn a hell of a lot more and work a hell of a lot less hours yet still find time to go on strike regularly. Most have a 2nd income too as their hours permit it.

Sort of agree. Bain of my old mans life he says, half jokingly of course. He had a career as a builder/roofer and would get right royaly pissed off over off duty Fireman he knew coming up to him in the pub for advice on the latest building job they were doing on the side. Gotta take some cojones though to run into a burning building or peel someone from a car smash...
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

a very sweeping generalisation