Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

TV Football Pundits

God, how boring and uninteresting are Strachan and Coleman? Make it look like Shearer, Lawro and Hansen have personalities. Why don't they cut out all the analysis crap and show more football. In general ITV football coverage is very poor indeed.

Comments

• Options
    what do you expect....they're all ex-footballers.
  • Options
    All channels are guilty of this. They don't say any more: "|Jones to Brown, crosses to James, back to Hicks". It's all about: "Of course, we all know that this is the first game, Helmet United has kept a clean sheet 30 minutes into the first-half. You will remember that 1998 was the last time the home side wore pink. When Women United take the lead they have never lost". All the 'stats' put over as though they knew it - not that some snivelling little researcher has just been on Google and fed them with the information. I've got that off my chest and am going to a darkened room now!
  • Options
    JTJT
    edited January 2013
    I also want to know why ITV's FA Cup footage always looks like it's been filmed on a mobile phone.
  • Options
    ITV are absolutely dreadful. I will never forgive them for Peter Drury's irritating commentary during that defeat to Northwich Victoria. It was so one sided.

"Northwich Victorious!!!"

C*nt
  • Options
    Is it ITV or ESPN that has that annoying little kiosk by the corner flag or half-way line with the pundits behind it. Are they selling ice-creams "Do you want a flake in that" or a la Peanuts comic strip, "Kisses For A Dollar"?
  • Options
    Alan Shearer is the worse I think.

Just ex-footballers who generally cannot be bothered to get into coaching or have tried to but failed (with a few exceptions) or help others but think they are experts at anything from management to being an official..
  • Options
    ITV? Anyone who gives Clive Tyldesley paid employment gets no sympathy from me.

• Options

ITV? Anyone who gives Clive Tyldesley paid employment gets no sympathy from me.

Exactly a crap commentator who speaks down to his audience and the bloke that managed to have a dig at us when Porto won the Champions League.

• Options
    I'm sure Tyldesley was the one who openly mocked Ronaldinho for being ugly.
    Now, Ronaldinho may not look like Brad Pitt, but if you look like this porcine, cushion-faced, hall-of-mirrors munter, you're in no position to criticise people for the way they look.
  • Options
    Agree about Tyldesley absolute bell end but for me the worst of the lot is Alan Shearer considering he played the game at the highest level he has absolutely nothing to say of any insight or interest. I remember the World Cup when Germany were playing Argentina and he was asked "Do you think that the young German team will be able to cope with Argentina's movement around the penalty box?" and his reply was "Well we're about to find out"

My then 13 year old grandson looked at me and said "Is that it? How much are they paying him? I could have sat there and said that" and he was right the man is an absolute waste of space.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure Tyldesley was the one who openly mocked Ronaldinho for being ugly.
    Now, Ronaldinho may not look like Brad Pitt, but if you look like this porcine, cushion-faced, hall-of-mirrors munter, you're in no position to criticise people for the way they look.

Didn't he use to play Billy Bunter ?

• Options
    The only decent pundits are on RTE in Ireland they are not in the Premier League 'Boys Club' so say what they like and give great value.
  • Options
    if you watched the live match on ITV then you would have seen the re-incarnation of George Best at half time.............
  • Options
    Shearer doesn't really have to minerals infront of the camera. I'm sure the man knows a hell of a lot about the game but he doesn't do it when on TV.

Gary Neville has taken it to a whole new level. He's honest, which makes a difference for the better, as well as being 'current' rather than Gray who played the game 20 years ago.

Hanson is ok, but only really knows about defending. That's not what you want from a pundit!

Desailly is the worst I've ever seen. Townsend talks complete shite.

ITV commentators are terrible...any further up Barcelonas arse they are in danger of disappearing.
  • Options
    John Barnes is the best.
  • Options
    I've always wondered why former players keep getting jobs as pundits. Savage on BBC ffs is an absolute joke, he barely knows English yet is expected to put a coherent sentence together. Fair enough they played the game but does that make them any more knowledgeable than people who genuinely love the game and watch as much as they can?
  • Options
    Anyone think Pat Nevin is OK? saw him the other night and thought he talked a lot of sense
  • Options

Gary Neville has taken it to a whole new level. He's honest, which makes a difference for the better, as well as being 'current' rather than Gray who played the game 20 years ago.

and what impresses me is that even when Utd played Liverpool the other week, and Neville has had his share of run-in's with Liverpool, he remained impartial. The best at the moment without a doubt.

• Options
    Can't disagree with any of that Large he is currently the best by a mile
  • Options
    Gary Neville and Lee Dixon (to an extent) seem to be the only ones who have actually discovered what "analysis" and "insight" are supposed to mean. Not just looking at what happened, but why it happened and what can be done by other teams to stop it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I thought Dixon got very shabby treatment by the BBC as he was one of the better ones. Agree on Savage, complete joke.
  • Options
    I really like Robbie Savage on BBC Radio. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he always fights the footballers corner when you get these people ring up and try and blame them for absolutely everything.
  • Options
    Agree with what everyone says about Gary Neville. He's by far the best there has ever been.

I'd like to give Andy Townsend a slap, even though he did used to play for Welling United.

Never thought much of Jamie Redknapp. AFKAs not much of a fan of Jamie Redknapp this morning either, are you AFKA? ;)

• Options
    Jon Champion - why use three words when you can prattle on for twenty minutes. I'd love to meet him at a party and continue my introduction for the entire evening. Following him around doing that same, relentless up-and-down tone with not a full stop in sight. "and it was on this night, of all nights, that I met you at this party, a party full of people, eating...drinking, being merry... you were incandescent with peculiar rage, a rage from my relentless introduction..."

Peter Drury - tries to sound like Jon Champion

Clive Tyldesley - capable of more, but not capable of Moore.

Best thing I heard Gary Neville say was "I don't like saying this, ordinarily I don't, but I have played with this guy..." Which was a proper dig at Jamie "I've been there/ i've played with him/ I know him" Redknapp, who strikes me as being a remarkably fake nice guy.

Mark Bright is the only co-commentator that I literally turn the sound off for. I detest his "he should've done this, why didn't he do that!?" whine. Craig Burley, however, is awful. Utterly dreadful.

The best pundits, in my opinion: Guillem Balague, Gabrielle Marcotti (face for radio unfortunately), Ray Wilkins, Trevor Brooking (the all time greatest co-commentator bar none), Gary Neville (although he stumbles over his words a little, he'll get better at that), Graeme Souness maybe.

• Options
    Trevor Francis used to annoy me. He seemed to be watching a different game to the one he was commentating on. He'd always be saying "And you can see clearly from the replay that he got the ball" when I'm looking at footage that shows the player in question not being in the same postcode as the ball. Strange man!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Jimmy the Jon Champion comment made me lol.

Not sure I agree about Ray 'my word' Wilkins
  • Options
    Hahah yeah, 'my word' is irritating and the Spurs thing when he completely blew his Andy Gray replacement audition by saying "we" all the time. That was so, so weird. But he talks sense! At least when he's not talking about Chelsea!!
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Jon Champion - why use three words when you can prattle on for twenty minutes. I'd love to meet him at a party and continue my introduction for the entire evening. Following him around doing that same, relentless up-and-down tone with not a full stop in sight. "and it was on this night, of all nights, that I met you at this party, a party full of people, eating...drinking, being merry... you were incandescent with peculiar rage, a rage from my relentless introduction..."

LOL

I quite like Ray Wilkins. In a day and age where everybody seems to direct negative digs at Football (diving, handshakes, money, endless list...), its quite refreshing to have someone there who always seems positive and complimentary.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Trevor Francis used to annoy me. He seemed to be watching a different game to the one he was commentating on. He'd always be saying "And you can see clearly from the replay that he got the ball" when I'm looking at footage that shows the player in question not being in the same postcode as the ball. Strange man!

What used to annoy me with him was when he was commentating a game that Chris Sutton was playing in. Used to pronounce it "sudden"

Don't know why but used to p*ss me off!
  • Options
    I always liked Ian Wright on the BBC coverage.....honest and passionate, he was made a scapegoat as I remember?