Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Comments

• Options
    All the best Rhoys. You were definitely one of the key players in Powell's era. I enjoyed your performances.
  • Options
    Was one of my favourite players for us in that Powell period. Good luck Rhoys
  • Options

Sad. Was a great player for us - very committed, good eye for a pass and fit as a fiddle. I remember him having a couple of absolute stinkers, and Zaha absolutely ruined him, but all of our players were prone to horror shows at that time - and he was a class above in league 1. Nice bloke too by all accounts

Reminds me of one of my favourite Charlton Life moments. Back in that televised match against Palace Wiggins was getting twisted up by Zaha. He wasn't having a good game, but then he had to go off injured and plenty of people insisted he'd bottled it and had faked an injury to get off the pitch.

Turned out he'd broken his foot.
    Zaha genuinely ripped him a new one
    No wonder he's retired.....
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

Really liked watching Rhoys. Him and Jacko forged a great understanding as they marauded down the left wing together. Thanks for the great memories Rhoys, and all the very best for the future.

Perfect balance in that team. Jacko and Wiggins on the left and Solly and Green on the right. Wiggins bombed on but Jacko was tactically adept enough to work with the overlap and cover the space if needed. Solly sat which allowed Green to try to get forward more. Just goes to show what proper backing can do for a team at the start of the season
  • Options
    That is gutting. I remember his debut for us was against Bournemouth when we won 3-0, and every time he touched the ball, they booed. Eventually a few of us in the East starting cheering in response, as did those in the North (probably separately but with the same idea), and I can't help but think that was a great way to get his career at the Valley started.

I'm so sad to see that he's not been able to recover from this injury - all the best in the future, Rhoys.
  • Options
    Gutted for him, great player for us and that statement is very classy. Remember him scoring a great goal at Rochdale Away that season. Good luck to the fella
  • Options
    I always thought he'd go onto the premier league with Stephens and were it not for his injuries I still think he would of made it.
    The attacking prowess of Da Silvia but he could defend too.
    Classy player, shame.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

PaddyP17 said:

That is gutting. I remember his debut for us was against Bournemouth when we won 3-0, and every time he touched the ball, they booed. Eventually a few of us in the East starting cheering in response, as did those in the North (probably separately but with the same idea), and I can't help but think that was a great way to get his career at the Valley started.

I'm so sad to see that he's not been able to recover from this injury - all the best in the future, Rhoys.

Yeah, that was a really wobbly Charlton debut for him, playing against his old team mates in his 1st match straight after signing from Bournemouth. At that time, some people on here judged him as a poor player but after a few games he settled and really showed what he could do.

He was a terrific attacking threat with his overlaps, tight ball control, ability to dribble and cross.
    Made a huge contribution to our title winning season.

Thanks for the memories, Rhoys. All the best.

If i remember rightly didn't he hit the crossbar with a long range shot in that game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best of luck for the future Rhoys
  • Options
    After a very dodgy start to his football career, he became a great player. One of the keys in out 2012 promotion season. One of only a handful to have re-signed for the club after the Belgians took over. Shame he left just a few months later and a pity he never got to play in the Prem.
  • Options
    Real shame - was excellent for us and you feel he never got to reach his full potential.

Wish him the best of luck for the future.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

PaddyP17 said:

Yeah, that was a really wobbly Charlton debut for him, playing against his old team mates in his 1st match straight after signing from Bournemouth. At that time, some people on here judged him as a poor player but after a few games he settled and really showed what he could do.

He was a terrific attacking threat with his overlaps, tight ball control, ability to dribble and cross.
    Made a huge contribution to our title winning season.

Thanks for the memories, Rhoys. All the best.

If i remember rightly didn't he hit the crossbar with a long range shot in that game?
    I remember the strike, couldn’t remember if it was woodwork or a save though
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Sad. Was a great player for us - very committed, good eye for a pass and fit as a fiddle. I remember him having a couple of absolute stinkers, and Zaha absolutely ruined him, but all of our players were prone to horror shows at that time - and he was a class above in league 1. Nice bloke too by all accounts

Reminds me of one of my favourite Charlton Life moments. Back in that televised match against Palace Wiggins was getting twisted up by Zaha. He wasn't having a good game, but then he had to go off injured and plenty of people insisted he'd bottled it and had faked an injury to get off the pitch.

Turned out he'd broken his foot.
    Yeah I really hate that "player is feigning injury because he had a bad game" line. It's rarely, if ever true.

Was very good that promotion season. I had the pleasure of seeing him play right back against I think it was Rochdale, which was not good. Morrison ended the game there. It was not our most fluid display.

But yeah, a lovely little player. I still think we as supporters sometimes lapse into the idea that someone is a sick note or always injured because there's a lack of courage or something in their head. And Rhoys is a good reminder that when you seriously injur your body and you use your body to earn your living, it can have a huge impact.
  • Options
    Great player, and as others have said its a shame his career has ended so early.

Cant believe he has played less than 10 league games since he left us
  • Options
    Very sad news, one of the best players in that great promotion year!
  • Options
    I've met Rhys a few times and he is undoubtedly a genuine bloke, a real nice guy.
    I've no doubt his career stalled through injuries.
    I sincerely wish him all the best in whatever he chooses to do next.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chrispy51 said:

Davo55 said:

Really liked watching Rhoys. Him and Jacko forged a great understanding as they marauded down the left wing together. Thanks for the great memories Rhoys, and all the very best for the future.

Perfect balance in that team. Jacko and Wiggins on the left and Solly and Green on the right. Wiggins bombed on but Jacko was tactically adept enough to work with the overlap and cover the space if needed. Solly sat which allowed Green to try to get forward more. Just goes to show what proper backing can do for a team at the start of the season
    I always preferred a Solly and Wagstaff combination on the right...
    I did too. Waggy had a better season than Green. Powell just didn't fancy him for whatever reason which was odd. Potentially because Green was a bit of a marquee signing for him and he wanted to get the best out of him
  • Options
    Great player. Good guy. All the best Rhoys and thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    Rhoys Wiggins played 200 games in a 12 year career.
    124 for CAFC.
    Rhoys answered my question at Bromley a few years back that he was the only one of his year group at Palace to go on to have a full time pro career.
    The drop out rate is amazing and I'm sure Rhoys will feel bitter sweet to having to call it quits at 30 but the fact that he has played less than 10 games since leaving CAFC shows the fitness battle was being lost.
    A nice guy who I wish all the luck in his future career.
  • Options
    His injury finished him. He was one of those defenders who relied on pace to get him out of jail defensively and made him effective offensively. I think he could have gone on to play in the Premiership, but injury robbed him of his major attribute sadly for him. Wish him well.
  • Options
    Always liked him, very genuine and gave his best.
  • Options
    Great player to watch in his prime. Tough, fast, skilful. Think part of the reason why Morgan Fox got a bit of a hard time from the stands was because Rhoys had previously been so good at left back.

Hope he recovers fully mentally from it all and gets a decent new career.

• Options
    Good luck to him and hope he finds a career in the game. Great memories of him in that fantastic Powell team.
  • Options
    Really sad news & am gutted for him. He was an important part of our fantastic title winning squad but was so unlucky with injuries. Best wishes to him for whatever the future holds, whether in football or not.