Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Comments

• Options
    Is there any truth to the rumour he's due to sign for the massives today?
  • Options

Is there any truth to the rumour he's due to sign for the massives today?

Think so, he put a picture on ingstram at weekend in a car and JJ commented saying dont go.
  • Options

OMG Rhoys is a nice guy yes but has been poor in to many games especially when coming back from yet another injury.
    Fox is the long term answer to left back Wiggins should stay and fight for his place in order to get another club before January.

Fox is too slow to be the long term answer.
  • Options
    I can see Fox reverting to a more central role in the future.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

OMG Rhoys is a nice guy yes but has been poor in to many games especially when coming back from yet another injury.
    Fox is the long term answer to left back Wiggins should stay and fight for his place in order to get another club before January.

Fox is too slow to be the long term answer.
    What about Fox on the run ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjfZG9UzK7E
  • Options
    Sad to see him go. Good luck Rhoys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    cafctom said:

Doesn't make sense to me at all. We're trying to build a squad, why sell one of the more consistent players to a direct competitor?

I don't think you can build a team around a player that's frequently out injured for long periods. It means your backup which for a club like ours is often likely to be either young or playing out of position are forced to play although not being first choice. Good news for in our case Morgan Fox but not the way to have an established team of first choice players.

If the rumours are true that 750k is being payed then I think we would be crazy not to move Rhoys on.

• Options
    Be sorry to see him go, on his day a top player
  • Options
    I think 750k is a very good deal for us given he would seemingly be third choice left back under Guy. Shame how it's finished but he'll always be well thought of, as will (almost) everyone who won us L1.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Doesn't make sense to me at all. We're trying to build a squad, why sell one of the more consistent players to a direct competitor?

I don't think you can build a team around a player that's frequently out injured for long periods. It means your backup which for a club like ours is often likely to be either young or playing out of position are forced to play although not being first choice. Good news for in our case Morgan Fox but not the way to have an established team of first choice players.

If the rumours are true that 750k is being payed then I think we would be crazy not to move Rhoys on.

I'll be very surprised if we're getting anywhere near the 750k mentioned, unless it is with add ons.

Great player on his day, sad to see him go but has been having too many injuries over the past couple of seasons.
  • Options
    Will he pass a medical ?
  • Options

cafctom said:

I'll be very surprised if we're getting anywhere near the 750k mentioned, unless it is with add ons.

Great player on his day, sad to see him go but has been having too many injuries over the past couple of seasons.
    Can't really think of what the add ons will be? maybe if he completes 20+ games or something, but 750k is definitely the figure being quoted.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Can't really think of what the add ons will be? maybe if he completes 20+ games or something, but 750k is definitely the figure being quoted.
    The add ons will be, if he can complete 20 games without being injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    it's a cut throat business no loyalty and I'll be sad to see him go.
  • Options

cafctom said:

The add ons will be, if he can complete 20 games without being injured.
    Sadly, not much chance of that. I don't think he has been the same player since Jackson was moved off the left wing. It's always much easier to push forward with an experienced full back playing in front of you on the wing. Those two were, for me, the highlight in that L1 winning side. Sadly all good things have to come to an end, Jackson can, no longer, play on the wing and Wiggins has never been the same player since that L1 season. I have always had doubts if he could play at this level. I don't mean that to be disrespectful but he picked up that injury against Palace early into our first Championship season and has never looked as good since.

I wish him well and he will always be a hero of mine but I'm not sure that, over the season, we will miss him too much on the pitch.
  • Options
    Incidentally, I'd be delighted if he proved me wrong!
  • Options
    Can't believe that Rhoys is only 27 still got a good career ahead of him , shame it wont be with us. How many players have we got left that have made over 100 appearances only Solly and Jacko?
  • Options
    foxjam said:

One of my favourite players from the promotion season. Loved watching him play but unfortunately his injuries have been unkind to him, I think he could have been a Prem quality player. He's class and I'll always have a tonne of respect for him. I wish him the best for the rest of his career and hope all of his injuries are behind him.

This. Good luck and thanks wiggy.
  • Options
    Unfortunately consistency is the key word... We won League One because we had a settled back four which is key to a promotion challenge.

Since then its been disrupted because Rhoys will come back for 10-matches before getting injured again and that backline has to be almost telepathic so doesnt help when the style is forever changing.

He's been one of my favourite players these last couple of years and its a real shame to have to let him go, am surprised he's as old as 27 to be honest but he's entering the prime years of his career and really hope that he can put his injuries behind him and play some games.
  • Options
    If the reports of Luzon not even knowing his name are true then it's hardly surprising to see him shown the door and if we can get £750k for him then every little helps. His injuries have really scuppered him in recent seasons and he's not been the same player since the Palace game 2 (3?) years ago. Best of luck to him (apart from against us).
  • Options
    Not a great loss - has struggled since his injuries and for me is too poor defensively.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I'm sorry to see him go because I think he's a better player than Fox but if we can get 750k that's pretty good business.