Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Inside Death Row

Will start by saying I do not believe in the death penalty . This programme was great all immates. seemed to have made split decisions which were bad and defined the rest of their lives , so far none of them had premeditated murder. Kids aged 13/15 ended up on death row. Guy who had his execution order quashed had 150 year sentence. Just not right in my opinion. I suspect this issue polarises people. . If anyone feels the same and is interested in fighting this injustice a UK charity is frightening against the death penalty Reprieve uk.

Comments

• If guilt can be proved beyond any doubt for rape, pre med murder or paedophilia, hang 'em high!
  • edited January 2013
    That bloke that lost all the weight killed his wife and then went and murdered his two kids.

If there was any 'justice' he wouldn't be waiting over 10 years to be put to sleep, it should be immediate. He doesn't deserve to breath again, let alone enjoy a TV in his cell.
  • As someone who's worked in a high security prison for the past eight years with some of this countries worst criminals I think I'll abstain this discussion.
  • Actually found it all a bit tepid. Trevor McDonald just didn't work for me.

This sort of show has been done loads of times and generally they have been better to watch than ITVs effort.

The best look at a Death Row Case is 14 days in May. Clive Stafford-Smith working to save Edward Earl Johnson. Suffice to say he failed.
  • There is a court case going on right now that makes we wish we hadn't got rid of capital punishment:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-21059681

I wouldn't want to kill any living creature, but I'd volunteer to swing the axe for this human filth.....
  • agree, hanging too good for them.
  • In California where I live capital punishment is still law. In fact, in the last election there was a proposition to abolish capital punishment but it failed. Many people stay on death row for 20/30 years while the legalities go round and round. Appeals, 11th hour reprieves and the like. The attornies love it and it costs the tax payer a fortune. Not many on death row actually make it to the table for their lethal injection. I'm not in favour of capital punishment, by the way, for a few reasons.

• Agree that the temptation for CP for crimes like the one above but personally don't believe there can ever be a society that is expected to stay moral where we have state sanctioned revenge murders.

CP for me is one of a long list of things, that keep society from moving forward and actually trying to solve long term issues.

• edited January 2013
    Rob said:

Many people stay on death row for 20/30 years while the legalities go round and round.

If they are guilty, it'll make them sweat for years not knowing their fate.

Reminds me of the times I was sent to stand outside the headmaster's study.
    He'd keep you waiting all afternoon, that was the torture - before vindictively thrashing your knuckles with the cane 6 times on each hand. Highlight of his day, sad old bastard.

• the usa has harsher prisons and punishments than the uk , imagine what the usa would be like if they had our liberal soft regime ?....life in usa means life ......here it means 12 years !
  • Sponsored links:

• raymondao said:

the usa has harsher prisons and punishments than the uk , imagine what the usa would be like if they had our liberal soft regime ?....life in usa means life ......here it means 12 years !

It doesn't seem to cut their crime rate or gun law.

• We are over-populated as it is. Medicine intervening with natural selection. Might as well drop the rotten ones
  • Eye for eye

Murder, rape, Peado filth should all face their maker I am sad to say

• Is it worth "sacrificing" a few? I agree as others do, that the most heinous crimes deserve the harshest punishment but I'd really struggle personally if someone had been found guilty of something, killed and then it came to light they were innocent.

It's happened before and it will happen again. I don't want to support that. Can we ever be 100% sure of guilt without tangible video evidence of the crime? I don't think we can.
  • edited January 2013
    I think your right mate on many points but there are those that are guilty and it is proven without videos

Like that Huntley , those involved with baby p etc who deserve to die
  • Agreed. What's proven beyond doubt now may not be in in 20 years though.

That being said, I'd like to think that we are medically and scientifically advanced now in this country to be able to use tangible evidence to prove crimes in many cases without video. If there was a chance of 0.0001% of somebody being innocent though, we would kill somebody and destroy families when it was not justified at some point. Just makes me uncomfortable.

Such a complicated topic.
  • WSS said:

Agreed. What's proven beyond doubt now may not be in in 20 years though.

That being said, I'd like to think that we are medically and scientifically advanced now in this country to be able to use tangible evidence to prove crimes in many cases without video. If there was a chance of 0.0001% of somebody being innocent though, we would kill somebody and destroy families when it was not justified at some point. Just makes me uncomfortable.

Such a complicated topic.

Maybe in cases where the death penalty could be used there could be two classes of guilt, the normal "beyond reasonable doubt" and "unquestionable guilt" where there has been sufficient scientific evidence, CCTV, a unanimous jury verdict etc etc

To clarify I'm not for the death penalty but there should be debate on the subject.
  • My problem with the death penalty is the first time you get it wrong. If it was re-introduced into this country I expect it would only be for those cases where there was absolutely no doubt. Despite that I think the same merry-go-round of appeals would happen as they do in the US - great news for Lawyers!
  • I thought this thread was going to be about the record label.
  • I don't want the death penalty in this country because of the burden of guilt it would leave on the jury.
    If people knew that as a consequence of finding someone guilty they would be executed, there would be members of the jury a lot less likely to find them guilty because of moral implications etc.

I know this isn't the way it's supposed to work, but in reality I'm pretty sure it would work that way.

The conviction rate for murder in the UK significantly rose after the death penalty was abolished but the murder rate did not.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also let's not forget the Birmingham 6 would be dead if we had a death penalty.
  • edited January 2013
    lets not forget the 22 people blown apart by two scum that planted the bombs maybe people should actually remember them once and awhile.

dont believe that ANY goevernment have the right to take life . However some filth dont desrve to live amongst us.
  • Huskaris is right - juries will acquit more guilty people if the consequence is a possible death penalty
  • Salad said:

Huskaris is right - juries will acquit more guilty people if the consequence is a possible death penalty

Don't need a jury in an open and shut case, send em straight to the gallows!
  • I could agree with the death penalty if Amercia had the lowest crime rate but it doesn't, it shows that the death penalty doesn't put people off comiting these horrible crimes.

It should never be introduced in this country as it goes against everything we stand for.
  • wouldn't bother me in the slightest if an individual who confessed to a heinous crime was put to death.

i usually enjoy these types of programmes and whilst it was very interesting, agree with Clem that Sir TM was possibly not the best man for the job.

in this country, the bloke who committed double murder at the age of 13 would have been out within 5 years, ready to enjoy the rest of his life.
  • I could agree with the death penalty if Amercia had the lowest crime rate but it doesn't, it shows that the death penalty doesn't put people off comiting these horrible crimes.

It should never be introduced in this country as it goes against everything we stand for.

It would never be introduced in this country because we wouldn't be able to afford it. Imagine the appeals, judicial enquiries, parliamentary discussion. The media frenzy, the do gooders would have a field day. Someone sentenced to death in this country would die of natural causes 40 years later. The only winners would be the lawyers and the chattering classes that run the media and earn a very good living out of talking complete bollox on that media.

Cause they're all mental, don't compare UK citizens to US folk.
  • BIG_ROB said:

I could agree with the death penalty if Amercia had the lowest crime rate but it doesn't, it shows that the death penalty doesn't put people off comiting these horrible crimes.

The point is it hasn't stopped crime in there country, we still have people who commit the same sort of crimes in this country but would it put them off doing it if they knew they would be put on death row, I very much doubt it.

We should keep certain people behind bars for life but I don't think killing them is the right answer
  • BIG_ROB said:

I could agree with the death penalty if Amercia had the lowest crime rate but it doesn't, it shows that the death penalty doesn't put people off comiting these horrible crimes.

The point is it hasn't stopped crime in there country, we still have people who commit the same sort of crimes in this country but would it put them off doing it if they knew they would be put on death row, I very much doubt it.

We should keep certain people behind bars for life but I don't think killing them is the right answer
    Why should we 'keep' anyone?

These animals that openly admit to killing or raping, should be put down. Why should they be able to eat again, or get to watch TV, paid for by us. They lose their right to live when they commit such horrible crimes.

It seems like an extremist view but I've got no time for scumbags.