Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

alan campbell

Comments

• Options
    Scored one of the goals last game of season against Bristol City that kept Charlton in the second division for one more season 2-1 at home night game.Made his debut in the same game that Keith Peacock became the first substitute used in football league match Bolton away 21-08-65.
  • Options
    Oggy red you have brilliant journalistic skills your discription of them Graham Moore goals brought back many happy memorys I swear I can still taste the percy daltons peanuts and smell the concrete on the East terrace --keep up the good work Oggy.
  • Options
    We were so dominant in that match against Hull, had numerous shots on goal but went in half time with only a Peacock goal to show for our dominance. They whopped our arses second half! I'll never figure out how that happened.
  • Options
    Top player, was one of my early heroes along with Ray Treacy and Harry Gregory.
  • Options
    I used to argue with my father about Moore and Campbell. He would always say that Moore made Campbell look good; I used to contradict him and say that Campbell made Moore look good. I have a feeling that he was right although Alan Campbell was a good player, particularly in Division 2.
  • Options
    Campbell should have had a better career higher up than he did. I think he got a scottish cap or two but back then the Jocks had a good team withthe likes of Bremner,Lorimer and a young Gemmil about to name 3. Must make em weep today.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Top player, was one of my early heroes along with Ray Treacy and Harry Gregory.

Yep same here

• Options
    I remember seeing him in the Fox Shooters Hill with Cyril Davies.He was beered up with his arms around to attractive young ladies who did not look put out whatsoever.Then there was me walking out of the pub at closing time empty handed and skint as usual.Greedy sod!
  • Options
    Fox Under The Hill not a bad disco pub back in the day.
  • Options
    Never saw him play for the Addicks but I did see him play , interestingly in the twilight of his career he played against us when we were promoted at Carlisle in 1981.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

He was a "colt" as we called the youth players back then and was first spotted playing local football in his home town of Arbroath I believe.

I've got his autograph somewhere, along with a number of other colts of the time, as they turned up at a fete at the War Memorial Hospital on Shooters' Hill and played "PushBall" with this massive ball which was about 6' high.

I'm talking 64/65 ish.

We sold him because we got relegated to the third division I think and he was too good / expensive and Gliksten wanted the dosh.

I was wrong about when he left. He went in 1970 at the same time as Harry Gregory and another whose name escapes me just now. Dietmar Bruck came in at much the same time.

Suggests money was the motive to me.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Like many on here, Campbell was a great favorite of mine. Like George Best he was hairy, skillful and very brave. Part of a very good late 60s team: Wright Curtis Kinsey Campbell Went Reeves Gregory Treacy Tees Moore Glover. One game sticks out for me, a 2-0 win over Clough's mighty Derby side in (I think) 1967 when Derby got promoted and lost very few games that season. Campbell and Gregory ran the show and Gregory got Dave Mackay so annoyed, that Mackay got a good grip on Harry's curly barnet and shook him. Gregory just laughed and got on with pestering Mackay for the whole game. We came 4th that year if I remember. That was Charlton in the 60s ... forever the bridesmaid.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

He was a "colt" as we called the youth players back then and was first spotted playing local football in his home town of Arbroath I believe.

I've got his autograph somewhere, along with a number of other colts of the time, as they turned up at a fete at the War Memorial Hospital on Shooters' Hill and played "PushBall" with this massive ball which was about 6' high.

I'm talking 64/65 ish.

We sold him because we got relegated to the third division I think and he was too good / expensive and Gliksten wanted the dosh.

I was wrong about when he left. He went in 1970 at the same time as Harry Gregory and another whose name escapes me just now. Dietmar Bruck came in at much the same time.

Suggests money was the motive to me.
    Notable absences from the playing squad the following season after Alan's move to Brum were, Moore, Booth, Keirs, Kinsey, Riddick, Wright and as you say Harry G.
  • Options

Like many on here, Campbell was a great favorite of mine. Like George Best he was hairy, skillful and very brave. Part of a very good late 60s team: Wright Curtis Kinsey Campbell Went Reeves Gregory Treacy Tees Moore Glover. One game sticks out for me, a 2-0 win over Clough's mighty Derby side in (I think) 1967 when Derby got promoted and lost very few games that season. Campbell and Gregory ran the show and Gregory got Dave Mackay so annoyed, that Mackay got a good grip on Harry's curly barnet and shook him. Gregory just laughed and got on with pestering Mackay for the whole game. We came 4th that year if I remember. That was Charlton in the 60s ... forever the bridesmaid.

Derby was 68/69 season, they finished Champions, Palace second and us third.....all down hill thereafter.Treacy left around the same time as Campbell, give or take a season
  • Options
    Derby was 68/69 season, they finished Champions, Palace second and us third.....all down hill thereafter.Treacy left around the same time as Campbell, give or take a season
    @TEL .. thanks for putting me right .. my memory is good in parts, terrible in places !!
  • Options

@TEL .. thanks for putting me right .. my memory is good in parts, terrible in places !!

No worries mate, wasnt trying to be a smart arse. It was my first full season, and I guess I was spoilt somewhat by a great side playing in front of some memorable crowds.....Derby was a 30,000 gate and seemed enormous to me as a kid on the East Terrace.

• Options

Chatted to Harry a couple of years ago, very modest guy...doesnt think that many would remember him as he wasnt anything special...Oh yes he was!
  • Options
    TEL said:

No worries mate, wasnt trying to be a smart arse. It was my first full season, and I guess I was spoilt somewhat by a great side playing in front of some memorable crowds.....Derby was a 30,000 gate and seemed enormous to me as a kid on the East Terrace.

Hey .. smart arse be f***ed .. what's right is right .. like I say, I recall the 'plot', not always the specifics. Hope you're having a great down under summer while we freeze under a snowy blanket
  • Options
    Yes its been really good this summer compared to last year when it didnt stop raining! Not so keen on the 40C plus days though, you just cant get anything done. Wouldnt mind a bit of snow!

@maybe_baby I named my eldest boy after Harry Gregory! Although Harry wouldnt go with my surname so I settled for Greg
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Chatted to Harry a couple of years ago, very modest guy...doesnt think that many would remember him as he wasnt anything special...Oh yes he was!
    Definitely a character I liked him but he had his detractors not unlike today really with Stephens et al and although not PC today didn't some of the old farts give him the handle ' Handbag Harry'?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Indeed Harry was ... Jimmy Bullard reminded me of him @ one time .. Gregory without Harry's sheer bottle and determination. Harry and Alan Campbell along with Moore was one of the best midfields I ever saw for CAFC. Not really surpassed until Jones, Robinson, Kinsella and all, 30 years later
  • Options
    What an excellent thread. Brings back so many memories . Percy Daltons peanut sellers shouting “Peanuts tanner a bag” does anyone remember program sellers shouting “Official ear.” in those days rouges would be selling rubbish programs to unsuspecting supporters outside the ground.
    I remember going to Wembley in about 1967 maybe 68 to see England play Wales. England fielded many of their world cup winners in the match but Wales won 1-0 with Graeme Moore playing a great game for Wales.
  • Options
    @JohnfromNorfolk .. i used to go sometimes with my at that time girlfriend .. she used to crack up at the Percy Dalton's man : 'Penis' Penis' she thought he was shouting .. and 'all yer free firty winners and the 'alf times' .. I must NOT get too nostalgic .. hahahahah .. great days .. except for most of the results !!!!!
  • Options

@JohnfromNorfolk .. i used to go sometimes with my at that time girlfriend .. she used to crack up at the Percy Dalton's man : 'Penis' Penis' she thought he was shouting .. and 'all yer free firty winners and the 'alf times' .. I must NOT get too nostalgic .. hahahahah .. great days .. except for most of the results !!!!!

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
  • Options
    Oggy's (& others) legendary team: note R.Curtis's haircut!
  • Options
    Richard J said:

Never saw him play for the Addicks but I did see him play , interestingly in the twilight of his career he played against us when we were promoted at Carlisle in 1981.

I was there too. I'd forgotten Alan Campbell was in that Carlisle side.
    He would have been about 33 at the time.
  • Options
    We need a Harry Gregory and Ray Treacy thread!
  • Options
    My all time favourite Charlton player (a poor man's George Best, who later went onto join Birmingham City) who played in what was, for me, the most exciting season of watching Charlton (1968-1969) under the exciting stewardship of Eddie Firmani. The season was all the more sweet as we had for a number of seasons prior to that been struggling to avoid relegation from the then old Division 2 (now the Championship). Those were heady, heady days!! Add into the mix Ray Treacy, Matt Tees, Keith Peacock, Graham Moore, Bob Curtis, Paul Went etc etc that team collectively provided me with my most exciting times at the club, even though they just failed to secure one of the two automatic promotion places.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Cyril Davies was groundsman down at Old Roan for donkeys years after he retired from football.

And used to play for them as well. Very nice bloke.

• Options
    And don't forget the glorius Cup win over Palace: what a night that was!