Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

alan campbell

13»

Comments

• Options
    March51 said:

Oggy's (& others) legendary team: note R.Curtis's haircut!

brilliant picture, what was that behind them, the bike sheds?

• Options

He was a "colt" as we called the youth players back then and was first spotted playing local football in his home town of Arbroath I believe.

I've got his autograph somewhere, along with a number of other colts of the time, as they turned up at a fete at the War Memorial Hospital on Shooters' Hill and played "PushBall" with this massive ball which was about 6' high.

I'm talking 64/65 ish.

We sold him because we got relegated to the third division I think and he was too good / expensive and Gliksten wanted the dosh.

yeah i do remember them being called colts and they played in the south east counties league, which i think we won a few times.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    March51 said:

And don't forget the glorius Cup win over Palace: what a night that was!

Great night in January 1969, 3rd round replay, 2-0 both by Ray Treacy. Stood on the mud banking terrace which is now the Sainsbury's end. Typical old 3rd Division ground; once a sh*t hole always a sh*t hole! Missed the first goal stuck in traffic up Sydenham Hill, think I remember the second one though, ripsnorter from distance just under the bar? Sadly went out at Highbury to the Gooners in the next round. Happy Days :o)
  • Options

He was a "colt" as we called the youth players back then and was first spotted playing local football in his home town of Arbroath I believe.

I've got his autograph somewhere, along with a number of other colts of the time, as they turned up at a fete at the War Memorial Hospital on Shooters' Hill and played "PushBall" with this massive ball which was about 6' high.

I'm talking 64/65 ish.

We sold him because we got relegated to the third division I think and he was too good / expensive and Gliksten wanted the dosh.

yeah i do remember them being called colts and they played in the south east counties league, which i think we won a few times.

• Options
    edited January 2013

March51 said:

Oggy's (& others) legendary team: note R.Curtis's haircut!

brilliant picture, what was that behind them, the bike sheds?

Not quite, thr old stand at Bury's Gigg Lane ground. Bob Curtis got a last minute winner in a 2-3 win. Moore and Gregory got the others.
  • Options

@JohnfromNorfolk .. i used to go sometimes with my at that time girlfriend .. she used to crack up at the Percy Dalton's man : 'Penis' Penis' she thought he was shouting .. and 'all yer free firty winners and the 'alf times' .. I must NOT get too nostalgic .. hahahahah .. great days .. except for most of the results !!!!!

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be
    you can say that again .. that again ... that again
  • Options
    Alan appeared at Woolwich Magistrates Court on a drink charge and gave his occupation as Building Labourer.Unfortunately someone recognised him and the club found out because it was in the Local rag.
    I m fairly sure thats why he was moved on.
  • Options

Alan appeared at Woolwich Magistrates Court on a drink charge and gave his occupation as Building Labourer.Unfortunately someone recognised him and the club found out because it was in the Local rag.
    I m fairly sure thats why he was moved on.

Yet another cupboarded skeleton is revealed !! .. that is interesting Starinnaddick .. it seems a bit harsh
  • Options
    6th May, 1967 at the Valley, 3-0 (Firmani 2 and Campbell) the scorers. Saved us from relegation once again. Alan Campbell was unplayable that day.

Also playing that day were Matt Tees, Charlie Wright, Billy Bonds (last but one game for Charlton), Lenny Glover and Keith Peacock. Happy, happy days.

Theo Foley was playing for Northampton.
  • Options

6th May, 1967 at the Valley, 3-0 (Firmani 2 and Campbell) the scorers. Saved us from relegation once again. Alan Campbell was unplayable that day.

Also playing that day were Matt Tees, Charlie Wright, Billy Bonds (last but one game for Charlton), Lenny Glover and Keith Peacock. Happy, happy days.

Theo Foley was playing for Northampton.

Len Glover suggests our Theo was a bit of a thug as a player in his book!

The other Northampton full back (? Everett) was even worse apparently!

Sorry digressing again!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Len Glover suggests our Theo was a bit of a thug as a player in his book!

The other Northampton full back (? Everett) was even worse apparently!

Sorry digressing again!

Jimmy Greaves said he hated playing against Northampton in their short lived stay in the old First Division because he always got kicked to bits!
  • Options

Like many on here, Campbell was a great favorite of mine. Like George Best he was hairy, skillful and very brave. Part of a very good late 60s team: Wright Curtis Kinsey Campbell Went Reeves Gregory Treacy Tees Moore Glover. One game sticks out for me, a 2-0 win over Clough's mighty Derby side in (I think) 1967 when Derby got promoted and lost very few games that season. Campbell and Gregory ran the show and Gregory got Dave Mackay so annoyed, that Mackay got a good grip on Harry's curly barnet and shook him. Gregory just laughed and got on with pestering Mackay for the whole game. We came 4th that year if I remember. That was Charlton in the 60s ... forever the bridesmaid.

Was it not 69 when Derby got promoted ? Stripy Nigels came second and us third but a good few points behind.
  • Options
    Ashaddick said:

Like many on here, Campbell was a great favorite of mine. Like George Best he was hairy, skillful and very brave. Part of a very good late 60s team: Wright Curtis Kinsey Campbell Went Reeves Gregory Treacy Tees Moore Glover. One game sticks out for me, a 2-0 win over Clough's mighty Derby side in (I think) 1967 when Derby got promoted and lost very few games that season. Campbell and Gregory ran the show and Gregory got Dave Mackay so annoyed, that Mackay got a good grip on Harry's curly barnet and shook him. Gregory just laughed and got on with pestering Mackay for the whole game. We came 4th that year if I remember. That was Charlton in the 60s ... forever the bridesmaid.

Was it not 69 when Derby got promoted ? Stripy Nigels came second and us third but a good few points behind.
    Ashaddick said:

Ashaddick said:

Ignore that, I see a number have made the same point ...Doh! ....but I do remember a song from the covered end about Harry Gregory having spoon feet :-)
  • Options
    Remember Alan Campbell missing a sitter at Highbury in cup game.
  • Options
    Can anyone tell me what the Millwall Bomber was doing at the Palace cup game 69, cos it was fooking wierd?
  • Options
    Being only 9 I have no idea :)

Great night and my first away match, weird but I can remember most of it quite clearly......Highbury was the second
  • Options
    Charlton in our "Man City" Kit circa 70-7. I Wouldnt mind seeing us use an updated version of this kit, but with the proper black shorts..our shorts clashed with Hull's on the day. Back in the day when footballers didnt let a bit of snow put them off!
  • Options

Can anyone tell me what the Millwall Bomber was doing at the Palace cup game 69, cos it was fooking wierd?

I don't know what he was doing but I do remember him from back then. I think he lived in Orpington. A lot of the 'hard' Millwall did I seem to remember and I think they went to Ramsden boys school.
  • Options
    Harry gregory was one of my heroes in the 60's. l wonder if any others out there spotted that during a game if any Charlton player was the victim of a realy wild tackle they would leave it to harry to seek revenge and harry would always oblige without being seen by the ref

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for your kind comments, Fossdene.
    That 1968-69 season certainly gave us some great games and legendary players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Another hero was Matt Tees he was superb in the air he got his head to every ball but always ended up on the floor so we nicknamed him lino. I remember a FA cup game at highbury where he beat Ian Ure ( then current scots centre half) to every ball I think we lost 2-0 if my memory is correct.