Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So any VIPs going tomorrow?

2»

Comments

• Options

Richard J said:

Personally I thought it was a very good event which provided some interesting insights.To kick off the comments here goes.

Michael Slater was as candid as I expected him to be.I think we were spoilt in the Richard Murray era in terms of openness and as fans I think we have to appreciate that the world of football unfortunately has moved on from those days.

He did acknowledge that he is made aware of forums and that the club's coms teams makes him aware of threads on here from time to time .He told the story of how a business associate of his took his 14 year old son who plays for a Swiss Second Division teams academy and the lad wore his club's shirt to the Director's box and how this became the foundation of one of the takeover rumours.Similarly he spoke of how the visit of some Turkish guests to the Director's box was transformed into the Koc takeover rumour.

On Landsdowne Mews he reckons that Greenwich Council have given him an indication that our expansion plans could still go ahead although it would be 'tight' in space terms.

In terms of the fair play rules he basically told us that any offending clubs would be fined and the proceeds of that penalty would be evenly distributed amongst the other clubs equally.He suggested that under these rules two years ago QPR would have been fined £25 Million.

Sir Chris did not disappoint.I asked him two questions.Firstly regarding Marlon King and my concerns that he is character terms not a Charlton type player and that I did not believe that bearing in mind our family values and large proportion of women fans that such a signing might compromise this.

Chris replied that there was no chance we would go after King as he was financially out of our league and although he did believe in people getting second chances I was left with the impression that this move is unlikely.

The other question I asked was around left footed players and that last season how the balance had been excellent.He replied that ideally that he preferred players to be on their natural side and commented that he would like a left footed centre back in the squad.He mentioned Harry Lennon as someone who could develop as one for the future.That said,he also accepted that there were times that you needed to use right footers ie Solly at left back and mentioned John Robinson and Jerome Thomas from his own playing career as two right footed players who preferred to play on the left.

Cheers. How did the relationship seem between CP and MS?
    They seem to get on and share a few private jokes
  • Options
    Richard J said:

He did acknowledge that he is made aware of forums and that the club's coms teams makes him aware of threads on here from time to time .He told the story of how a business associate of his took his 14 year old son who plays for a Swiss Second Division teams academy and the lad wore his club's shirt to the Director's box and how this became the foundation of one of the takeover rumours.Similarly he spoke of how the visit of some Turkish guests to the Director's box was transformed into the Koc takeover rumour.

On Landsdowne Mews he reckons that Greenwich Council have given him an indication that our expansion plans could still go ahead although it would be 'tight' in space terms.

Not even going to bother with that first paragraph, but as far as the second is concerned there are two problems and one has nothing to do with the council. The land was needed just to construct the development, not only for access afterwards.
  • Options
    Anyone discuss Slaters European escapades?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Anyone discuss Slaters European escapades?

No it wasn't raised.

• Options
    cfgs said:

Richard J said:

Personally I thought it was a very good event which provided some interesting insights.To kick off the comments here goes.

Michael Slater was as candid as I expected him to be.I think we were spoilt in the Richard Murray era in terms of openness and as fans I think we have to appreciate that the world of football unfortunately has moved on from those days.

In terms of the fair play rules he basically told us that any offending clubs would be fined and the proceeds of that penalty would be evenly distributed amongst the other clubs equally.He suggested that under these rules two years ago QPR would have been fined £25 Million.

Sir Chris did not disappoint.I asked him two questions.Firstly regarding Marlon King and my concerns that he is character terms not a Charlton type player and that I did not believe that bearing in mind our family values and large proportion of women fans that such a signing might compromise this.

Chris replied that there was no chance we would go after King as he was financially out of our league and although he did believe in people getting second chances I was left with the impression that this move is unlikely.

The other question I asked was around left footed players and that last season how the balance had been excellent.He replied that ideally that he preferred players to be on their natural side and commented that he would like a left footed centre back in the squad.He mentioned Harry Lennon as someone who could develop as one for the future.That said,he also accepted that there were times that you needed to use right footers ie Solly at left back and mentioned John Robinson and Jerome Thomas from his own playing career as two right footed players who preferred to play on the left.

Cheers. How did the relationship seem between CP and MS?
    They seem to get on and share a few private jokes

cheers.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

razil said:

CAS Trust Letter to VIPs, for those who can't make it - which will be handed out tonights we hope.

So you're taking leaflets to an event to hand out to those that can't attend it?

Interesting PR strategy!

;-)
    we are trying to reach all potentially interested parties with information about the Trust, the VIP Chair offered to distribute our letter to members as our attendance was not deemed appropriate by the organisers. Since some were possibly not able to attend but might read this thread I thought we could reach them this way. We have no other means of reaching the VIP group.
  • Options
    razil said:

razil said:

CAS Trust Letter to VIPs, for those who can't make it - which will be handed out tonights we hope.

So you're taking leaflets to an event to hand out to those that can't attend it?

Interesting PR strategy!

;-)
    we are trying to reach all potentially interested parties with information about the Trust, the VIP Chair offered to distribute our letter to members as our attendance was not deemed appropriate by the organisers. Since some were possibly not able to attend but might read this thread I thought we could reach them this way. We have no other means of reaching the VIP group.
    it was mentioned a couple of times last night, MS was even asked if the club could become more helpful, he said he would have to become more aware of your aims and objectives first.
  • Options
    cfgs said:

razil said:

razil said:

Interesting PR strategy!

;-)
    it was mentioned a couple of times last night, MS was even asked if the club could become more helpful, he said he would have to become more aware of your aims and objectives first.
    I suspect that ultimately the board's long term aims are very different from ours. I suspect that the short term goals are the same - promotion to the Premier League. However, the Trust must have the long term security of the club as it's primary aim (and that is the impression that I get) where as the current board are, I believe, hoping to increase the resale value of the club and then sell it on. I suspect that if the Trust are able to help the club then a relationship will be beneficial to both parties, but if the Trust is just going to get in the way of the board and/or use it's position to rally the fans against it then any relationship is likely to be kept at arms length.

However, I clearly have no idea and am just speculating.
  • Options
    You are right - Charlton Supporters Trust's aim is the long-term security of the club and there is no point at all in the Trust alienating the owners through anti-board posturing.

On the other hand, the Trust does need to be a critical friend. If Portsmouth supporters had known the full story five years ago they would at the very least have been able to question the wisdom of what was going on. So Charlton Supporters Trust needs to build up a constructive relationship in which it is safe to ask awkward questions.

Which is why it is important to sign up as a member. Every supporter who pays their fiver for membership gives the Trust more credibility in their negotiations with the owners. Its easy to do at Castrust.org
  • Options

cfgs said:

razil said:

razil said:

Interesting PR strategy!

;-)
    I suspect that ultimately the board's long term aims are very different from ours. I suspect that the short term goals are the same - promotion to the Premier League. However, the Trust must have the long term security of the club as it's primary aim (and that is the impression that I get) where as the current board are, I believe, hoping to increase the resale value of the club and then sell it on. I suspect that if the Trust are able to help the club then a relationship will be beneficial to both parties, but if the Trust is just going to get in the way of the board and/or use it's position to rally the fans against it then any relationship is likely to be kept at arms length.

However, I clearly have no idea and am just speculating.
    Sounds spot on to me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Join, and help us. Not just with your fiver and membership, but to help us shape policy, research and all the
    many other things we are doing. We have a phase ii launch meeting at the beehive next Monday.

Yes a constructive relationship is important. I believe in a professional well run Trust, not mud slinging but carefully and constructively representing the fans.
  • Options
    Its no good just to say oh someone else will do it, if you feel the way we do join today www.castrust.org/join/member