Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull Away

Worrying me this one.

Missed out on our first and only appearance at the KC as I thought. "It's alright, we'll play them next season on a Saturday". Little was I to know they'd go up and we'd go down.

Learnt my lesson with Doncaster a few years back by going to the Tuesday night game to tick off the Keepmoat - it could be donkeys years before we go there again.

So ideally, I really want Barnsley to do the business tomorrow, but seeing as Red Nose has been splashing the cash the last couple of weeks it seems unlikely. He's bought in, Stockdale - Loan, Brady - £2m and Meyler - £1.5m. I assume those parachute payments are being used for shit or bust.

I'll do the tuesday night rearranged game, but for the moment, please excause me if tomorrow I shout

"Come on you Tykes"

Comments

• Options
    Bugger, hadn't thought of this. Hull is one of my closer games. Would still make the evening game but would prefer a Saturday so I'm with you on this - c'mon you Barnsley!
  • Options
    Echo that, Addickted.
  • Options
    Almost a home game for me (a mere 35 miles) .. I'll be there
  • Options
    Hull are looking at moving from the KC aren't they. Could be wasted effort. (I've already been :-)
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Hull are looking at moving from the KC aren't they. Could be wasted effort. (I've already been :-)

The Hull City owner is MEGA ambitious. The KC is a nice stadium, easy to get to, great viewing lines and modern facilities. BUT the capacity is 'only' about 25K. The FC share the stadium with Hull Rugby League so the rent and overhead is not too bad.
    A green field new build for a bigger stadium could be a major white elephant, out of town, a long way from anywhere and the crowds would of course be dependant on long term premier league football. Hull is not a rich city, but is a proud one. However crowds of 50,000+ are not going to be forthcoming despite a lack of competition in the immediate area. Grimsby, Lincoln, Scunthorpe, Donny and Leeds are the nearest competition, all miles from Hull and most are smallish clubs (except Leeds of course).
    All in all I think that Mr Allam the owner, has a common complaint amongst football club entrepreneurs .. his eyes are far too big for his (rather large) belly
  • Options
    Hull is always better on a Tuesday night. Great night out on our last visit, even though I did the driving.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Hull is always better on a Tuesday night. Great night out on our last visit, even though I did the driving.

Why, because you can't see it ? It reminded me of Woolwich.
  • Options
    Lol yes mate it's a proper khazi, not nice in daylight.
  • Options
    Is "Lexington Avenue" still there?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Sadly the original LAs (as known locally) is no more but a new Lexington Avenue opened just up the road in 2011. Not sure if that's still a going concern. Heard it was a bit of a hole.

Hull is without a doubt one of the bleakest places I've ever been.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fella I used to work with got abducted in Hull, taken to a remote barn and left there.

True story that.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Fella I used to work with got abducted in Hull, taken to a remote barn and left there.

True story that.

I hate Hull,went when we beat them there a few seasons back, night life is shit, we went up on the rattler on the friday morning,hit a few clubs (shit they were,stank of piss and full of skirt with blue rinses) My friend went mental on the saturday morning he caught kleptomania and ended up throwing himself off the humber bridge.
  • Options
    Really looking forward to Hull. I'm expecting it to get rescheduled for a Tues though. Gonna make a long weekend out of it. Hull has a quality night life if you know where to go.
  • Options
    Ull = toilet

Ulll fans = thick as shit wankers

C'est tout.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Off_it said:

True story that.

Who was that then, Big George ?
  • Options
    N
    Spanish said:

Off_it said:

True story that.

No it wasn't cabron!

It was Scud!
  • Options
    Saturday fixture :)
  • Options
    Good news
  • Options
    Boom said:

N

Spanish said:

Off_it said:

True story that.

No it wasn't cabron!

It was Scud!
    Scud ? Boom ? Have I missed a chapter ?
  • Options
    What sort of prices you getting on Hull by train guys ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If Wednesday can win well at Hull, so can we
  • Options
    Spanish said:

Check my thread on matchday travel
  • Options

Off_it said:

Sadly the original LAs (as known locally) is no more but a new Lexington Avenue opened just up the road in 2011. Not sure if that's still a going concern. Heard it was a bit of a hole.

Hull is without a doubt one of the bleakest places I've ever been.
    I was at university at Hull. It's nowhere near as bad as people make out. It has somehow become known as the most dismal and drab place in England and this has become a cliche, an easy option. But when you've visited places like Oldham, Rochdale or Burnley, as most of you will have, you realise just how cheerless and uninteresting some northern towns are. As a city Hull is small and isolated; it doesn't have the cosmopolitan vibrancy of Manchester or Birmingham. But spend some time looking around - not just in search of nightlife - and you'll find a city which is historic and beautiful and now going through something of a revitalisation. It is a city steeped in literature, music and theatre, from Andrew Marvell to Philip Larkin and beyond. I found this clip on Youtube which gives a flavour of the city and that is without even going to the northern part where the University - not one of the 60s redbrick universities either but now nearly a hundred years old - and the elegant Avenues are situated.

I used to go to Boothferry Park quite often when I lived in the city and Hull became my second team for a while. I remember watching a great game in the early seventies when we played there and Ray Treacy scored a hat trick. It was a rare away win, I think in the season we were relegated. I shall be going to Hull again on 16 Feb and may well make a weekend of it revisiting old haunts.

http://youtu.be/wPlT1I7X_lo
  • Options
    http://www.hoodpoints.com/blog/worst-place-to-live/ maybe because of stats like this
  • Options
    Difficult to argue against all that - although I don't know how they quantify 'quality of life' - but on crime stats the latest information shows that Middlesbrough, Leicester, Lincoln and Blackpool in similar sized areas have worse crime figures than Hull
    http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/Crime-falls-14-Hull-10-East-Riding-official/story-17111823-detail/story.html
  • Options
    This will be my last post on this but just to show how meaningless and ephemeral statistics can be, Channel 4 people can't even agree between themselves on the worst place to live - according to a Kirstie and Phil survey (for Channel 4), Hull doesn't even make the list of the twenty worst places to live in Britain. And here's a survey which shows the East Riding to be the 37th best place in Britain for quality of life! (While it might be argued that the East Riding is not Hull - Hull is nevertheless the major town in the East Riding and is therefore included in it.)

Data and statistics, the work of the devil!

http://www.channel4bestandworst.com/
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2122644/Halifaxs-10-rural-areas-live-Ely-offers-UKs-best-quality-life.html
  • Options
    Spanish said:

if u book now around 30-40 but if u book a megabus u can get a return for 5-10
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bill_Stumps, as you've spent more time than me in Hull, I will bow to your superior knowledge.
    But I have to say you're the first person I know to describe Hull as Beautiful :-)

Personally it reminded me of Woolwich. It's the people though. When we arrived at midday a guy was having a p*ss up a building next to our hotel. It really wasn't an appropriate time or place (if there is such a thing).
  • Options
    sorry to jump in but has any1 ever had a night out in scunthorpe? as we are doing an overnight stay there?
  • Options
    I'll try to take some photographs while I'm there and post them so you can see what I mean - bearing in mind that in mid-February nowhere is going to look its best. There are good parts and bad parts of every city, of course. I've seen a woman pissing on the pavement, not even against a building, in the centre of London (Northumberland Avenue) in the middle of the afternoon but I wouldn't judge London on that.