Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Atmosphere at Spanish football

Just tuned in to Barcelona vs Osasuna on Sky and I had to check I had the volume up; the atmosphere out there sounds abysmal.

Even when Osasuna had some bloke sent off and Messi grabbed a penalty.. Just sounded sterile.

I know the Italians are meant to be a bit mental/choreographed - but is this true of the Spanish? I figured if you're rocking up to see Barcelona and Messi you're gonna be in high spirits! Maybe not...

Comments

• Options
    Went to see Barcelona v Real Zaragoza a few years back. 88 thousand in the Camp Neu but the volume never got loud. Good or exiting moments were met with applause. Very odd.
  • Options
    Went to a thriller at Real a few years back, vuvuzelas were annoying. But the roar when they score is immense. Not a flat atmosphere, just different. Sky fake the sound on Prem matches when it's flat though...
  • Options
    In before Leroy
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Went to a thriller at Real a few years back, vuvuzelas were annoying. But the roar when they score is immense. Not a flat atmosphere, just different. Sky fake the sound on Prem matches when it's flat though...

Agreed, it's just different to the english way, does not mean worse.
  • Options
    They are probably so used to seeing Barca score it's just become the norm
  • Options
    German football is where the atmos is at, in western Europe anyway. Although Bayern's pretty average.
  • Options
    Probably because they don't really have away fans in Spanish football
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    JiMMy 85 said:

Sky fake the sound on Prem matches when it's flat though...

Of course they do. They also add a few goals themselves from old footage when it's 0-0.
  • Options
    And theres lots of foreign tourists who go to watch the football out there that won't add to the atmosphere
  • Options
    I went to see el classico at the Nou Camp. It was the best atmosphere that I have ever experienced in a football ground, just pure noise for 90 mins.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What's that odd noise Spanish fans make when their team score all about ?
  • Options
    The matches I've been to you just hear shelled nuts being eaten all the time like squirrels
  • Options
    Went to see Barca v Villarreal a couple of years back and Villarreal must've had no more than about 50 fans there. And Barca stick the away fans in the highest tier right up in the gods. So it's hardly conducive to a great atmosphere.

As others have said, along with the fact Barca's fans expect a rout every week and there's a fair amount of tourists/day trippers there, it's no surprise it's quiet.
  • Options
    Similar when i saw Real v Seville a few years back when Beckham was playing for them. - little atmosphere - just felt like they just wanted to be entertained.
    Also, as mentioned, the distance of teams must be prohibitive- the Seville fans were high up in the gods , and there couldonly have been 1,000 of them at most.
  • Options
    There's not much of a culture of travelling away in Spain, and more than half of all football supporters follow two teams. I saw an absolute beauty of a game at Barca about 5 years ago and the atmosphere was there, but it was very different to an English game. It was against Athletico Madrid but I asked my Catalan mate what was going on when some chanting started and he told me they were chanting "We hate Espanyol", so some things are the same.
  • Options
    they dont really give an away allocation to spanish games apparently, for example when real won the league there were only a few hundred real fans getting to enjoy it. remember watching bilbao against man utd last year and atmosphere was unreal. I think as someone mentioned barca are probably so use to seeing goals.
  • Options
    Spanish fans shout 'Gol' when they score. It really does depend which game you see. As some people have said the attitude is one of 'entertain me'.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Sky fake the sound on Prem matches when it's flat though...

Of course they do. They also add a few goals themselves from old footage when it's 0-0.
    Good one.
  • Options
    I was at the Barcelona v Osasuna game last night and the atmosphere was a bit subdued. I noticed the groans more than the cheers. On the rare occasions when a Barcelona player misplaced a pass, there is groan of disapproval. They seem to only get excited when there is actually a goal or it flashes an inch or two wide.

It was the first time I have seen Messi live and what an unusual player. He strolls around for much of the game but bursts into life when neeeded. He plays up front but often falls behind attacks when his team attack. Defenders don't know where to find him or who to mark. His control is out of this world. His team mates deliberately play him tight passes just to draw a defender so that he can open up defences. A different class.

The lack of away support was highly noticeable. When Osasuna equalised, I looked round for cheering away fans and spotted about 5 people jumping in the air.
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I was at the Barcelona v Osasuna game last night and the atmosphere was a bit subdued. I noticed the groans more than the cheers. On the rare occasions when a Barcelona player misplaced a pass, there is groan of disapproval. They seem to only get excited when there is actually a goal or it flashes an inch or two wide.

It was the first time I have seen Messi live and what an unusual player. He strolls around for much of the game but bursts into life when neeeded. He plays up front but often falls behind attacks when his team attack. Defenders don't know where to find him or who to mark. His control is out of this world. His team mates deliberately play him tight passes just to draw a defender so that he can open up defences. A different class.

The lack of away support was highly noticeable. When Osasuna equalised, I looked round for cheering away fans and spotted about 5 people jumping in the air.

They were probably Espanyol fans. :)

Messi is on another planet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Read this morning that Messi has scored more league goals (33) this season than every other club in la liga apart from Real and Atletico madrid.

And in all comps has got 217 goals in his last 200 games!
  • Options
    But Messi can't be considered the anywhere near the greatest because he hasn't won a World Cup with Argentina #whatever
  • Options
    Or done it on a wet and windy evening in Stoke
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Or done it on a wet and windy evening in Stoke

Depends what 'it' is!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

But Messi can't be considered the anywhere near the greatest because he hasn't won a World Cup with Argentina #whatever

Rooney is better :-/
  • Options
    Course he is
  • Options

cafctom said:

Rooney is better :-/
    Just not at football. :)

• Options
    He's clearly the best in the world right now, but he does need to 'do' a few more things before he can go down as the greatest ever imo - one of them is stand out as a star performer at a World Cup.

It'd also be interesting to see how he would do away from Spain. I'm sure he would tear up the Premiership/Bundesliga/Serie A, but it'd still be interesting to see how he would adapt to the different styles. He does have a relatively commfy existance at Barca playing with Xavi/Iniesta and co in a less physical league.

I'd like to see him take a new challenge at some point in his career (and I don't mean the MLS when he's 35).
  • Options

Course he is

That was a joke, some overweight hyped up English player compared to Messi, no chance!
  • Options
    Going to Seville in April on the weekend of Sevilla - Barcelona. Is there any way to second guess when that game is likely to be scheduled for? They have several fixture slots out there across the Sat / Sun (and Mon), but they don't fix it until about 2 weeks before. Intending to fly on the Sat so would be annoyed if it ended up being a 3pm on the Saturday!