Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Atmosphere at Spanish football

2»

Comments

• Options

Going to Seville in April on the weekend of Sevilla - Barcelona. Is there any way to second guess when that game is likely to be scheduled for? They have several fixture slots out there across the Sat / Sun (and Mon), but they don't fix it until about 2 weeks before. Intending to fly on the Sat so would be annoyed if it ended up being a 3pm on the Saturday!

In a word, no. Same here in Portugal, fans take second place to TV sadly. And in fairness it's not such an issue as no-one travels to away games.
  • Options
    Might be worth looking at the day/time previous Sevilla vs barca matches have been on see if there is any pattern
  • Options
    Match days and times are only confirmed a couple of weeks before. It is a right pain for planning to go to games.
  • Options
    Will check out past Sevilla barca games. 8 of 10 been on Sundays this season which bodes well. It does crazy it's done at such late notice even ignoring the limited away travel.
  • Options
    Nou Camp v Real Madrid - tiny group of Madrid at top of ground singing Viva Espana, just quiet enough in ground to hear them for a few seconds before blasted by the volume of catcalls and whistles. Italy entertaining though and ranting drunk Dortmunders bellowing at each other in CL game in Madrid stays in the memory.
  • Options
    Feels like Barca games have been on Saturday evenings a lot this season, but I'm not sure if that's statistically correct.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    So the last league games of the Spanish season are on the weekend of Sat 23/ Sun 24th May.

I've got 3 tickets for The Barcelona V Deportivo game, but we don't arrive until midnight Saturday.

Does anyone know the likelihood of when the game will be played ?

Do they play all their final league games on a Sunday usually, so there can be no match fixing ?
  • Options
    They munch on a lot of nuts
  • Options
    Been to Barcelona & Valencia, both atmospheres were very flat. Don't think the Spanish are known for great football atmospheres.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Compared to the ritual slaughter at a bullfight, football must be a little bit tame
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The first time I went to the Camp Nou, the atmousphere was frankly dire. They were playing Atlético Madrid and the only point where the locals got going was when Ronald Koeman got sent off, and righteous indignation got them to make a noise (mostly whistling at the ref). I've been there a couple of times as a Deportivo fan, and the atmousphere is'nt really intimidating (but then with there team it does'nt have to be).
    I've also been an away fan with Deportivo at other grounds. Osasuna and Athletic Bilbao both have noisy home fans (Blbao is often described by Spaniards as being a bit 'English, and even the stripes on the shirts are English-style), Zaragoza combines that with a selection of dangerous nutters akin to Millwall, and I won't be setting foot in there again, and Real Madrid fans, like those at Barça, would rather sit around smoking cigars. I know a few Barça fans who still rave about the fact the Brits go mad simply over having a corner to whip in.
    Different cultures I suppose.
  • Options

The first time I went to the Camp Nou, the atmousphere was frankly dire. They were playing Atlético Madrid and the only point where the locals got going was when Ronald Koeman got sent off, and righteous indignation got them to make a noise (mostly whistling at the ref). I've been there a couple of times as a Deportivo fan, and the atmousphere is'nt really intimidating (but then with there team it does'nt have to be).
    I've also been an away fan with Deportivo at other grounds. Osasuna and Athletic Bilbao both have noisy home fans (Blbao is often described by Spaniards as being a bit 'English, and even the stripes on the shirts are English-style), Zaragoza combines that with a selection of dangerous nutters akin to Millwall, and I won't be setting foot in there again, and Real Madrid fans, like those at Barça, would rather sit around smoking cigars. I know a few Barça fans who still rave about the fact the Brits go mad simply over having a corner to whip in.
    Different cultures I suppose.

@ken_shabby Agree about the Nou Camp. Saw them play Ajax in the Champions League, couple of hundred blokes behind the goal trying to make a racket amongst a crowd of 99,000 - a bit ineffective!

Regarding Bilbao being "a bit English", the stripes on Bilbao's shirts originate from the Sunderland and Southampton-supporting miners and shipyard workers who emigrated to Bilbao. This also explains why they are called "Athletic" rather than "Atletico". I believe Franco forced them to become Atletico Bilbao as part of a ban on the use of non-Spanish language, and they swapped it back to Athletic as soon as he died.
  • Options
    The atmosphere at Atlético Madrid's Vicente Calderón is amazing, especially on a European night or big league game. The Bernabeu is abysmal though, and whenever I go I try to sit next to the 100 or so away fans as they make more noise than the 80,000 home fans. Rayo Vallecano is a fantastic atmosphere for a small ground. The whole ground smells of weed as well.