Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reasons I hate modern football

2»

Comments

• Options
    IdleHans said:

Sky Subscribers who complain about modern football but perpetuate the whole ridiculous premiership-obsessed circus by continuing to hand over their cash to Murdoch so he can keep paying the big clubs to kill the rest of football. It's like giving your money to the IRA and then complaining about the violence.

Hugely this. If you have Sky sports you have no right to complain about 'modern' footballs problems for teams like ours because fundamentally you are the problem.

Too much football news now on regular news.

• Options
    DRAddick said:

IdleHans said:

Sky Subscribers who complain about modern football but perpetuate the whole ridiculous premiership-obsessed circus by continuing to hand over their cash to Murdoch so he can keep paying the big clubs to kill the rest of football. It's like giving your money to the IRA and then complaining about the violence.

Hugely this. If you have Sky sports you have no right to complain about 'modern' footballs problems for teams like ours because fundamentally you are the problem.

Utter drivel.
  • Options
    razil said:

its worse when they aren't even footballers, the new breed of sky sports generic presenter types..

I'd rather listen to them than the neanderthalic ex pros most pundits tend to be. They can't string a sentence together without using a combination of "top, top", "he is a player", "110%" and "literally"
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

razil said:

its worse when they aren't even footballers, the new breed of sky sports generic presenter types..

I'd rather listen to them than the neanderthalic ex pros most pundits tend to be. They can't string a sentence together without using a combination of "top, top", "he is a player", "110%" and "literally"
    you forgot the infamous... "at the end of the day"
  • Options
    I miss the old Covered End, when it was standing - proper atmosphere, loads of good songs and we'd all dance to "Knees up Mother Brown" when we scored.

We've lost that. All seems a bit sterile these days.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

DRAddick said:

IdleHans said:

Utter drivel.
    Care to expand? You seriously think the consumer is not responsible for what Sky continues to do? Or are you just not willing to accept the wider effects of your choices (I do realise accepting responsibility for ones owns actions isn't very popular these days)?
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Greenie said:

DRAddick said:

IdleHans said:

Utter drivel.
    Care to expand? You seriously think the consumer is not responsible for what Sky continues to do? Or are you just not willing to accept the wider effects of your choices (I do realise accepting responsibility for ones owns actions isn't very popular these days)?
    You're right, I wholeheartedly apologise for being able to afford the best satellite tv around. I must be a terrible person.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I miss the old Covered End, when it was standing - proper atmosphere, loads of good songs and we'd all dance to "Knees up Mother Brown" when we scored.

We've lost that. All seems a bit sterile these days.

same here. The smell of beer, fags and some real characters.
    When the opposition bought a lot the atmosphere in the covered end could be electric.
    Very dull nowadays.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    DRAddick said:

Greenie said:

DRAddick said:

IdleHans said:

Utter drivel.
    Try to remember what was football coverage like before Sky, lets be honest it was shite, I can watch as many games as I want via Sky and ESPN, I can watch the greatest footballers ever in the comfort of my living room, I try to avoid Man U. But Barcelona. Real Madrid are a different kettle of fish, superb. When I hear or read ridiculous comment such as yours and from other Charlton fans, I often think if they showed us as much as Man U then we would all love Sky!

I dont agree with Sky covering the top 4 most the time, so the options I have are 2, I can sulk about it (the option you have clearly chosen) and not subscribe, or I can pay and enjoy their coverage, I chose the latter and have seen some fantastic games, from The Champions League through to the AFC Wimbledon game 2 weeks ago. Think about how bad football coverage used to be. Teams in the fourth tier of football never got on live TV. EVER!

If you choose to be a stick in the mud, fine, but to say a broadcasting company and its patrons are to blame for all things wrong in football is frankly laughable.
  • Options
    People who constantly moan about modern Football. These are the people who still buy tickets, still watch Sky, still act like pundits themselves in front of their mates and think they know exactly everything that goes on within a footballer's brain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Hate may be too strong a word ....... but I am uneasy at the financial chasm that's been opening up between the Premier League and the rest of the professional game in England.

And not just because Charlton are no longer in the Prem.

There really has to be a better distribution of the Sky TV money - so that all of football benefits better, right down to grass roots level.

It's not that any club in the Prem would suffer financially.
  • Options
    Rio Ferdinand
    Blatter
    Centre halves with white boots
    The FA
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I remember the Arsenal chants at Old Trafford when we played them on the last day of the season after Arsenal had won the league there in the midweek game a few days before.

Wasn't that Chelsea? I remeber the second to last away of the season up there where we lost 4v0 and Chelsea had won the league. Some idiots started singing cheslea songs, seem to remember a few people got thrown out that day.
  • Options
    Stig said:

The renaming of the divisions and the dropping of all football history beyond 1992. The renaming of Div 1 to The Premiership was 'kin annoying, but the renaming Division 2 first to Division 1 and then to Championship is absolutely crass in its stupidity.

This winds me up too. When Luton beat Norwich on Saturday ITV were saying it was the first time a non league team had ever beaten a premiership side.
  • Options
    Mass racism being seen as harmless banter by fans/clubs/press
    Being caged in
    Pass backs to the keeper
    Football violence
    Not being able to get a pint at football
    Boggy pitches
    Only being able to get news about your club via premium rate lines advertised on Oracle.
    Uncovered stadia
    Endless injury breaks
    Pissing on the terrace
    Endless FA cup replays
    European bans

Great days
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Stig said:

The renaming of the divisions and the dropping of all football history beyond 1992. The renaming of Div 1 to The Premiership was 'kin annoying, but the renaming Division 2 first to Division 1 and then to Championship is absolutely crass in its stupidity.

This winds me up too. When Luton beat Norwich on Saturday ITV were saying it was the first time a non league team had ever beaten a premiership side.
    Some people don't understand that football actually existed before 1992.

• Options
    Don't be ridiculous it was invented by SKY.
  • Options
    Ha to agree, I saw that about Luton and thought what about Hereford/Newcastle, Sutton/Coventry etc. then realised they specified Premiership team.
  • Options
    razil said:

Jeff Stelling is one of the best things about modern football. I'd rather watch him than Gary Lineker or Alan Shearer.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Ha to agree, I saw that about Luton and thought what about Hereford/Newcastle, Sutton/Coventry etc. then realised they specified Premiership team.

It's like saying, "No Championship club has won the FA Cup".

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hearing about "financial fair play" being introduced by UEFA, and knowing it means absolutely nothing. No way are the behemoth clubs operating massively in the red going to be punished in any way shape or form, we all know that, so why do UEFA even bother? Who do they think they are fooling?
  • Options
    Failed managers who can't get a job being pundits and criticising other managers. i.e. Graham Taylor on Alex Fergusson
  • Options
    I hate the financial imbalance in modern football and the selfish attitude of the big clubs. Everything is overhyped.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

iaitch said:

It's like saying, "No Championship club has won the FA Cup".

And they forget that Spurs won the cup when they were still in the Evo-Stik league ;-)
  • Options
    razil said:

But they're presenters, not pundits. So kinda doing what they're designed to do, no?

Moaning about Sky in general and blaming Murdoch for everything they do. Get. Over. It.