Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

That striker Clarke who never really played for us

he's at Coventry now and scored 2 tonight against Sheffield

Comments

• Options
    Rubbish player, maybe he can score goals, but what else can he do?
  • Options
    ....in League 1.
  • Options
    He's scored goals everywhere but with us,I'm sorry I must have missed the the fact were inundated with inform strikers at moment or maybee we signed one yesterday?
  • Options
    I am convinced that there is a special tank , a bit tike a decompression chamber, at the training ground, wich all the players have to sit in during their first few days with us which "Charltonises" them - turning once world class players into useless objects. Countless players over the years have signed for us, only to then prove to be duds...............such as Rommedahl, JFH, Marcus Bent.

Leon Clarke has just proven that - for us he looked rubish, unable to trap abag of cement - but has gone to 2 different clubs this season and can't stop scoring.
  • Options

I am convinced that there is a special tank , a bit tike a decompression chamber, at the training ground, wich all the players have to sit in during their first few days with us which "Charltonises" them - turning once world class players into useless objects. Countless players over the years have signed for us, only to then prove to be duds...............such as Rommedahl, JFH, Marcus Bent.

Leon Clarke has just proven that - for us he looked rubish, unable to trap abag of cement - but has gone to 2 different clubs this season and can't stop scoring.

Im guessing if you asked the fans of every club they could list of a set of players who had the same situation for them.

• Options
    I very much doubt in would cut the mustard in the championship for us, or anyone else for that matter.
  • Options
    Never given the chance to find out!
  • Options
    He did look truly awful the few times he did play for us.
  • Options
    I'll never be able to forget the time he was in on goal with a clear chance at goal ... and passed to another player in a worse position. What kinda striker does that? (At Wendies last year i think)

Sometimes players just don't fit at clubs. Im not gunna cry over it because we have plenty of good (and better) strikers but i wish him luck and to keep hammering them home (apart from against us lest we meet again)
  • Options

He's scored goals everywhere but with us,I'm sorry I must have missed the the fact were inundated with inform strikers at moment or maybee we signed one yesterday?

13 in 74 at Wolves
    18 in 83 at Sheff Wed
    0 in 13 at QPR

Seems to me all his goalscoring exploits are outside the championship and maybe you aint noticed but that's the league we're in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    But when he was with us we were lge 1 wernt we

Clarke was never given the chance before he was slated and called shite

He may have been shite it may be we didnt play to his strengths

But he was not given any chance with us

Feck knows what happens at the training ground where descisions on players are made we dont get to see but the player to the outside world and normal fan was not given a chance
  • Options
    Why should he have been given a chance? Our other strikers were playing well.

Yann was excellent last season. Hayes did well when he was in the team and alongside BWP probably had the best partnership we had up front for years. Haynes also came in and was the natural replacement for BWP.

He replaced Benson as 5th choice and by August was probably 6th choice, with Smith playing ahead of him. Must be a reason for that.
  • Options
    He is certainly a good league one player - I don't see how that can be argued.
  • Options
    He came from Swindon where he had just had an altercation with Di Canio. People on here seemed to side with Di Canio as he was an ex-player and immediately labelled Clarke as a troublemaker.

I agree he didn't get many opportunities with us but maybe someplayers need a bit of time to settle in.

Alos looking at some of Di Canio's outburts since, another one yesterday, maybe Clarke was the innocent party, who knows what the true story was.
  • Options
    He just never recovered from that terrible debut
  • Options
    He went elsewhere first and was scoring goals

The fans hear never gave him a chance bwp was in a dry patch when he was here
    I
  • Options

Marcus Bent, world class?? Are you high?
  • Options
    iaitch said:

He came from Swindon where he had just had an altercation with Di Canio. People on here seemed to side with Di Canio as he was an ex-player and immediately labelled Clarke as a troublemaker.

On my own personal view, I don't agree with this. I hold no love for Di Canio (can't stand the guy in fact) and anyone who has fallen out with him is alright by me.

My opinion on Clarke was based soley on his performances in a charlton shirt, which were dog shit awful. The one memory that will stick in my mind (until dementia gets the better of me) was I think on his home debut for us. He was standing on the half-way line as we were defending and his marker had fallen asleep and drifted away from him. We then made a quick counter-attack, playing a ball over the top and he was through on goal. He did a great impression of someone running through treacle. He was so slow even Doc would've caught him.......................
  • Options

Never given the chance to find out!

Well said, he played 1 game and classic charlton fans "he isn't good enough". Wilson and wiggins both shaky starts to there charlton career but got better, players need time.

• Options
    I think he's doing we'll because he's settled. He's living on his own patch so he's reasonably close to family and friends. The Cov fans shout his name so he wants to do well for them. At Charlton, or Swindon, he wasn't given a chance. As soon a we saw that debut, we'd all decide he was crap. So fair play to the lad for turning it around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry but I don't buy all this tosh about we should have kept someone because they are scoring goals elsewhere. SCP has to make decisions on what players are capable of doing for Charlton, not for other clubs.

When he did play for us, he was incredibly crap.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    He's doing the business. Coventry are in form and look good for a play off place at worst
  • Options
    Wilson,he also got slaughtered on here....
  • Options
    So u can make a judgment based on 1 game if that's the case most would be gone ! Well except kermo great debut
  • Options
    He got 7 goes to show us he had something and took none of them. We are talking about even a glimmer of something, not the whole complete package.

BWP scored 22 and Kermo got 12, so why would we have dropped them to give Clarke 10 games to prove himeself?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Sorry but I don't buy all this tosh about we should have kept someone because they are scoring goals elsewhere. SCP has to make decisions on what players are capable of doing for Charlton, not for other clubs.

When he did play for us, he was incredibly crap.

Agree
  • Options
    He's not a championship player. Simple. He's not even a top league 1 striker. He's a very good mid table League 1 striker.
  • Options
    Jesus 7 games to prove them self he played once and was called fat and lazy on here before he even got to game 2

I don't think he was great far from it but I do feel that players need time especially strikers
  • Options
    Even when we were top of the table and full of confidence bwp was woefull at times yet he was given time to get back to scoring ways? I'm not saying Clarke was going to get the golden boot for us all I'm saying is on league 1 he can score lots of goals and was were we was when we got him.
  • Options
    Once again people judging a player on few appearances. He is proving the know alls wrong, same as Parkinson. Anyone remember why Luton let Hales join us? Because they thought he was crap.