Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huhne - Changes Plea

Comments

• Options
    What a surprise eh? A politician who changes his mind once he realises he has been caught out as a two bob arrogant liar!
  • Options
    I bet thousands of people do that with speeding points every month
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Pleads guilty, obviously just before he's about to be found guilty. I really do think that if you're a politician you should be "whiter than white".
    They are nearly all as bad as each other.
    However, I have to say a jail sentence is ridiculous, in light of other offences that don't get a custodial sentence.
    If I was sentencing, I'd give him an enormous fine & make him do an enormous amount of community work.
    Something that will benefit the community.
    Jail seems daft. He's hardly a major threat to society.
  • Options
    Yes agree, a big fine and community service doing something he really hates would be better than jail.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Yes agree, a big fine and community service doing something he really hates would be better than jail.

I guess the major issue here isn't the lying about the speeding offence, but rather (as always) the series of lies afterwards. It's similar to the likes of Jonathan Aitken, where rather than taklking the rap at the time, they drag it out and get into a lot more trouble
  • Options
    not long back a motor cyclist was give 2 years for altering his number plate----same charge.

Send him down
  • Options
    I disagree. I'm sure Huhne is a rich man. Any fine that the court could impose would still just be money. I bet he is absolutely bricking himself about going to prison though! Serves the corrupt bastard right! Shame more MP's weren't banged up following the expenses scandal. Quite how being caught fiddling your expenses is okay as long as you pay the money back is beyond me. I know if I did that I would be sacked immediately and quite possibly prosecuted.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Quit as an MP now by election should be interesting (Eastliegh Hampshire majority 4000 Tories)
  • Options
    we should have all tried it on with Jan tax return " yes i know i knocked you for £10zk but i have a nervous complaint and i cant pay it back or go to court ---so f++k off"
  • Options
    If he is jailed, it will be for perverting the course of justice - a very serious offence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2013
    "The Liberal Democrat MP, 58, changed his plea on the first day of his trial at Southwark Crown Court.
    He could face a prison sentence for the offence."

His original plea was in fact a lie.

Even though he's an MP, he should nevertherless be subject to the same laws and sentencing as you or I.

Although I do agree with the poster that said Huhne is hardly a threat to society.
    But fining him say £20 grand is hardly a punishment for him, is it?
  • Options
    send him down
  • Options
    Wasn't Leon McKenzie sent to prison for a similar offence?

Quite rightly perverting the course of justice is taken very seriously and If he is sent to prison then he only has himself to blame.

It will also make a few people think twice about doing the same thing when a high profile person is sent away for doing it.

On a family level his wife is really in the s*** now. She dropped him in it but now he's pleading guilty while she's sticking to not guilty. His testimony will convict her. She's as guilty as him and it was her who told the police.
  • Options
    She is pleading not guilty on the grounds of 'marital coercion'. Like you say it was her who dropped him in it, she was never going to claim that it didn't happen.
  • Options
    He would have got away for it had he not cheated on his wife. She was happy to get herself into trouble to pay him back.
  • Options
    ...String him up!
  • Options
    Just face it there all bent n corrupt ad each other
    And their get off with a light sentance you just know it! Just because their not in court in hoodie n trainers
  • Options

Wasn't Leon McKenzie sent to prison for a similar offence?

Quite rightly perverting the course of justice is taken very seriously and If he is sent to prison then he only has himself to blame.

It will also make a few people think twice about doing the same thing when a high profile person is sent away for doing it.

On a family level his wife is really in the s*** now. She dropped him in it but now he's pleading guilty while she's sticking to not guilty. His testimony will convict her. She's as guilty as him and it was her who told the police.

Going to be fascinating to see what happens now with his ex-wife. If I am reading this right, she dropped in him it relatively recently for a ten year old offence which she colluded to by taking the points. He then denied this forcing the court case and she then looks to have "agreed" to change her version of events to support him before the trial. I am left wondering whether or not he felt he couldn't trust her not to change her story and dob him in it a second time, and therefore had to plead guilty at the eleventh hour. She must surely revise her plea now leaving the pair of them in deep doo-doo. All for a spending offence? Nothing like a woman scorned.
  • Options
    so she agreed to the con---then
    grassed him up----then
    agreed with the con----now
    now he has grassed her up by pleading guilty

wow they really do deserve each other
  • Options
    Perverting the course of justice is viewed as worse than the crime committed. With luck he'll share a cell with some hairy arsed villain who is very much missing his wife.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    He changed his plea when some incriminating evidence was placed in front of him.

The interesting thing here is what happens to his seat - a 4k or so majority to the Lib Dems would normally be a safe-ish hold, but with the Lib-Dems down to single digits in the opinion polls it should be a gain for the Conservatives.
  • Options
    Hell hath no wrath greater than that of a scorned woman ...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Or Hell hath no fury than a woman scorned.
  • Options
    Or even, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.
  • Options
    the man is total scum bag says on TV just now he has taken responsibility !!!--------what 10 years after the event ?---------years after geting your wife to take the blame?----------years after telling the World you didnt do it ? and to top it all his own Son in an email said "you was driving and you blamed it on Mum"-----------------that email was due to be read out in Court--------------taken RESPONSABILITY ? yes when there no other stone to hide under,
  • Options
    redcarter said:
    Brilliant. Just read this. If anyone has a spare couple of mins, take a look. Texts between Chris Huhne & his son Peter.
    It's as good as plebgate !
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how UKIP do. They are riding an anti-politics wave at the moment. The Tory party will go all out for this seat, they have to.
  • Options
    Thought his speech at the Lib Dems Party conference when he was law and order spokesman just about summed him up. Deserves two years in the clink.
  • Options

Will be interesting to see how UKIP do. They are riding an anti-politics wave at the moment. The Tory party will go all out for this seat, they have to.

Being a south coast constituency I suspect that there'll be less antipathy towards all things European there than in many other places in the UK. I wonder if Nigel Farage will risk running himself - that would put the cat amongst the pigeons.

He stood there in a By-Election in 1994 after the then Tory MP Stephen Milligan accidentally suffocated/strangled himself and he polled 900 odd votes. He/the UKIP should improve on that...