Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Eltham Fiveways Burger King to be replaced by 91-bed hotel

New Eltham Fiveways Burger King to be replaced by 91-bed hotel

A BURGER King at the busy Fiveways junction in New Eltham will be demolished and replaced with a hotel, bar and restaurant.

Plans have been approved for a four storey building fronting Sidcup Road and Green Lane which will include a 91-bed hotel.

The site currently features a 19th century two-storey building, which was a pub in the early 1990s until the American fast food chain's arrival.

Now that building will be knocked down and replaced with a new business, taking over the old Crossways Hotel name.

Under conditions imposed by a Greenwich Council planning committee, details of road access to the site must be submitted to the local authority before it is occupied.

Comments

• Options
    At least it will have a bar again.
  • Options
  • Options
    Why are so many hotels springing up and how are they all thriving?! Fair enough the Premier Inn in Swanley is cheap being a PI but who the hell is saying "I'd really like to spend a few nights in Swanley"?!
  • Options
    Used to go in there with my mates 2-3 times a week after we used to get off the 321 bus after school. Memories.
  • Options
    isnt there gonna be a travelodge behind Bexleyheath Library as well?
  • Options
    And who would stay in the one in Powis Street in Woolwich?
  • Options
    Also the one in Sidcup high street!!! Why?!?!
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Used to be my local *sob*

• Options
    heavenSE7 said:

I guess they might get some trade from weddings at the registry office - but I've hardly seen anyone go in there since its opened.
  • Options
    An old pub near mine in Maze Hill has recently been changed to a swanky pub/hotel type place...think it is called the King William Hotel. Absolutely EMPTY! I went in there on Friday night to meet a mate and I was the only single person in the whole place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stop in that bk on way to every game! This is not good news!
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Strange place for a hotel that. I think they got turned over by Waitrose who were going to put a supermarket on the ground floor, and the hotel above, and Waitrose pulled out.

• Options
    JT said:

Gutting .... i knew i shouldn't have gone on a diet.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Whens it changing over ?

I better get in there quick!

A sad sad day for the area.
  • Options
    We've got one going up in Dartford too - opposite the old Co Op (which is about to become a large number of flats)

Must be in readiness for the millions or tourists that will be coming to the Paramount theme park
  • Options
    cafctom said:

An old pub near mine in Maze Hill has recently been changed to a swanky pub/hotel type place...think it is called the King William Hotel. Absolutely EMPTY! I went in there on Friday night to meet a mate and I was the only single person in the whole place.

Does it still have the exotic dancers performing on a Friday lunchtime?
  • Options
    Which pub in Sidcup is a hotel now?
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

We've got one going up in Dartford too - opposite the old Co Op (which is about to become a large number of flats)

Must be in readiness for the millions or tourists that will be coming to the Paramount theme park

Does that mean the stage door is on the way out? (excuse the pun)
  • Options
    richie8 said:

Which pub in Sidcup is a hotel now?

The Black Horse on the High St.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Cheers Mate,Im from Sidcup but not been there in years!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great views
  • Options
    cafckev said:

And who would stay in the one in Powis Street in Woolwich?

My sisters mates did as they were going to her party in Charlton. Needed a cheap room. Otherwise im not sure. People on council business? Or people visiting mates at the flats at the Royal Arsenal? really not sure tho. They were supposed to be building another by the DLR.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

cafctom said:

Does it still have the exotic dancers performing on a Friday lunchtime?
    Hahaha no not anymore! My old man has told me some stories about the old place though.
  • Options
    Is that where the Yorkshire Grey used to be or am I getting my 'confusing south east London junctions' mixed up?
  • Options
    different junctions mate

Yorkshire Grey's a McD's now.
  • Options
    Can't we just have the Crossways back?

seen many a fracas in there...

Don't mention the Grey being a McD's either or I will cry!
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Swisdom said:

Does that mean the stage door is on the way out? (excuse the pun)
    No it'll be on the high st. That vacant plot between Bingo and Breeze recruitment

• Options
    It's odd how there's so many hotels springing up. I think some of it is down to changes in people's living arrangements, that if they have relatives come to visit they live in such pokey flats they have to go to a hotel. But a lot of it is undoubtedly business. When where I work got bought out by a larger outfit, they got rid of all the local management and brought new ones in, many from the other side of the country. A lot of them stay in hotels Monday to Thursday. Add to that, if you live outside commuting distance from London and get a job here, you probably won't move your family here. Some folks I work with as well who live relatively near tell me its cheaper to stay in a hotel on a night out than get a train then a taxi back if they have a drink.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

It's odd how there's so many hotels springing up. I think some of it is down to changes in people's living arrangements, that if they have relatives come to visit they live in such pokey flats they have to go to a hotel. But a lot of it is undoubtedly business. When where I work got bought out by a larger outfit, they got rid of all the local management and brought new ones in, many from the other side of the country. A lot of them stay in hotels Monday to Thursday. Add to that, if you live outside commuting distance from London and get a job here, you probably won't move your family here. Some folks I work with as well who live relatively near tell me its cheaper to stay in a hotel on a night out than get a train then a taxi back if they have a drink.

That's right, met a mate of mine when I was in London last year and it was cheaper for him to pay 30 quid to stay overnight in a Travelodge and get a 'cheaper' train back home next day than get the more expensive 'late' train home.

I stayed in the Travelodge at Tower Hill when I was over a couple of years back, it was very basic but clean and well located - you can't ask for more than that for 35 quid per night!
  • Options
    I recon its all down to a combination of the increase in the divorce rate and the increase in house prices.

People getting divorced can't afford their own place so are moving back in with parents.

When they get lucky they can't go back home and are too old for a knee trembler in the park.

Cheap hotel is the best answer!