Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

criminal damages petition

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/33458

any chance any of you that agree could sign this.

Comments

• So it's ok to commit illegal acts against someone who is a "criminal" especially if they are "heinous", slippery path there methinks.

I don't know what to do about this.
  • Have any of these e-petitions actually made a difference?
  • I don't agree with this.

If someone is convicted of a crime then the law will punish them. It is not acceptable for private individuals (in this case journalists) to commit an offence against them and take away their rights outside the course of justice.

What other aspects of the law do you think should not apply to your very broad category of people ?
  • Greenie said:

Have any of these e-petitions actually made a difference?

Doubt it, just glorified data gathering.

• Not a chance in hell. Whilst I'm sure that the sentiments expressed may be laudable in intention, they're unworkable in practice, judgemental in nature and completely subjective. What gives anyone the right to describe what a 'heinous' crime is? Who is responsible for drawing the line in the sand between 'heinous' and 'non-heinous'? Why should journalists be able to break the law with impunity where some members of society are concerned?

Think about Colin Stagg, for instance. There's a man whose life was completely and utterly ruined by the police, because they were under pressure to feel a collar for the Rachel Nickell murder (SWW syndrome). By the edict of this petition, if the nut-nut who actually DID murder her were not to have confessed and Stagg served the full term of his sentence, muck-rakers would have been perfectly entitled to annihilate him again the second he got out because someone's definition of 'heinous' had determined he was fair game.

Nonsense.
  • in this instance its the james bolger killers that brought me to this petition.
  • Isn't the title of this thread wrong? Isn't the issue actually civil damages which become payable because of criminal action by journalists, etc?
    How can you possibly stop people, whoever they are, taking civil action against, say journalists and their private detectives who have committed criminal acts to obtain private information? Fortunately the Law is there to prevent fruitcake suggestions such as this. Totally bonkers.
    Would the author of this petition also say that a convicted criminal couldn't take action against a prison warder who had beaten the crap out of them? Where precisely would you draw the line?
  • in this instance its the james bolger killers that brought me to this petition.

And? Just because they've committed those crimes in the past, doesn't justify newspaper reporters attempting to uncover where they live now after release in order to drum up vigilantism for the titilation of their readership. Dangerous, dangerous path to tread.

You probably should have thought a bit more about the consequences of this ill conceived proposal rather than just signing the petition because of your emotions related to one particular case.
  • like i said any of you that agree? youre opinion is youre own as is mine, i havent signed it myself i wanted to see the thoughts on it for research purposes
  • Sponsored links:

• Think about Colin Stagg, for instance. There's a man whose life was completely and utterly ruined by the police, because they were under pressure to feel a collar for the Rachel Nickell murder (SWW syndrome).

You should never use an abbreviation without explaining what the acronym stands for. In fact you should always use the full phrase or name first and may then follow that with the shortened version.

For example - British Airways (BA) fly to many destinations. There are also other major airlines as well as BA such as Virgin Atlantic......

Once you have done so, you can freely use it again in your statement, essay or article.
  • Greenie said:

Have any of these e-petitions actually made a difference?

I treid one to ban Mother and Baby parking spaces in car parks. It didn't get much support. Still bugs me.
  • like i said any of you that agree? youre opinion is youre own as is mine, i havent signed it myself i wanted to see the thoughts on it for research purposes

Haha, of course mate
  • Riviera said:

Think about Colin Stagg, for instance. There's a man whose life was completely and utterly ruined by the police, because they were under pressure to feel a collar for the Rachel Nickell murder (SWW syndrome).

You should never use an abbreviation without explaining what the acronym stands for. In fact you should always use the full phrase or name first and may then follow that with the shortened version.

For example - British Airways (BA) fly to many destinations. There are also other major airlines as well as BA such as Virgin Atlantic......

Once you have done so, you can freely use it again in your statement, essay or article.
    Message received and understood. MYOFB.
  • Riviera said:

Think about Colin Stagg, for instance. There's a man whose life was completely and utterly ruined by the police, because they were under pressure to feel a collar for the Rachel Nickell murder (SWW syndrome).

Message received and understood. MYOFB.
    Lol
  • Only giving you a taste of your own medicine, (OGYATOYOM) in a purely light hearted way. I left off the "did you not go to school" bit......this time. ;-)

Anyway, what does SWW syndrome mean?
  • Twaddle we should have much more vigilantism------ bring back tar and feathers, the birch, flogging in the street and the burning of Goonerscum on blackeath.

Petitions ??? my arse ------ get the petrol out.
  • Haha.

That actually should have read MWW syndrome (bloody autocorrect) - police being pressured into making arrests when a pretty young white woman (usually middle class) is abducted/killed while not needing to be quite so bothered about disappearances from other communities/social classes
  • Twaddle we should have much more vigilantism------ bring back tar and feathers, the birch, flogging in the street and the burning of Goonerscum on blackeath.

Petitions ??? my arse ------ get the petrol out.

Always the voice of reason GH.
    As for me, think I'll give it a miss.
  • Wouldn't most folk wish to know that there could be a nonse living near by

You know that friendly old gentleman that always talks to you and becomes acquainted with your family and then is a trusted face with your children

Or the boy your daughter brings home isn't Thompson or venables

More info needed to be shared with parents
  • Sponsored links:

• Bulger killers got £50k each from being hacked.

They would have been of no interest had they not committed the crime, hence they are £100k in profit as a result of a murder.

Doesn't seem right.

By all means fine the hackers £100k, but give it to the criminal injuries compensation board to redistribute.
  • Wouldn't most folk wish to know that there could be a nonse living near by

You know that friendly old gentleman that always talks to you and becomes acquainted with your family and then is a trusted face with your children

But you know it wouldn't end there though would it. People wouldn't just use the information to keep their children safer but they'd act out their own vigalante fantasies.
  • NLA, I truly understand where you're coming from and as someone who has worked in a Cat A High Security prison for the past eight years I know better than most exactly what kind of beasts walk amongst us. Damn right I'd want to know if one of them were to be released near me but my one worry is that if more information were available, good, decent people like yourself would act on emotions and end up losing their liberty over some subhuman scum.
  • se9addick said:

in this instance its the james bolger killers that brought me to this petition.

You probably should have thought a bit more about the consequences of this ill conceived proposal rather than just signing the petition because of your emotions related to one particular case.
    This is exactly what makes me laugh about online forums, people giving it Billy Big Bollocks and jumping to conclusions.
  • in my opinion ( i fully expect to be ridiculued etc) i think that the laws in this country are ridiculous, for example thompson and venables were 11 years of age when they commited that crime surely theres a parenting issue there, and i do not think that they should of gained any money from there crime being hacked into etc. they should be kept in a correctional facility for the rest of there life i know this would cost the taxpayer and im sure most would like to see them put down i am not one that thinks this, however i dont think its accepable for rapists/murderers/peadophiles to walk the same streets as law abiding citizens. its not fair somehow that we work a lifetime to have a nice house etc and then one of these scum does a truly awful crime and gets given new identity new house and such luxuries. and im very sure a lot of the people would think very differently if it was one of there relations that got murdered by them 2 evil little shits, or maybe not who am i to question.
  • Not a chance in hell. Whilst I'm sure that the sentiments expressed may be laudable in intention, they're unworkable in practice, judgemental in nature and completely subjective. What gives anyone the right to describe what a 'heinous' crime is? Who is responsible for drawing the line in the sand between 'heinous' and 'non-heinous'? Why should journalists be able to break the law with impunity where some members of society are concerned?

Think about Colin Stagg, for instance. There's a man whose life was completely and utterly ruined by the police, because they were under pressure to feel a collar for the Rachel Nickell murder (SWW syndrome). By the edict of this petition, if the nut-nut who actually DID murder her were not to have confessed and Stagg served the full term of his sentence, muck-rakers would have been perfectly entitled to annihilate him again the second he got out because someone's definition of 'heinous' had determined he was fair game.

Nonsense.

As usual I find myself in agreement with Leroy.

I assume that the person who has started this petition has somebody specific in mind - ah yes the Bulger killers.

Well distasteful though it maybe, the law has to be seen to work even if those who receive compensation are people we hate.
  • and this is why the death penalty will never make it back into uk law, and i do understand that it has to be one rule for all but there should be circumstances and each case should be looked into as a seperate.
  • So flawed on some many levels. I doubt the validity either as this has clearly not been written by anyone with any legal knowledge of sense.
  • se9addick said:

Wouldn't most folk wish to know that there could be a nonse living near by

But you know it wouldn't end there though would it. People wouldn't just use the information to keep their children safer but they'd act out their own vigalante fantasies.
    and attack paediatricians, as they did a few years ago in Portsmouth I think.
  • I can understand the sentiment.

However someone I know of impeccable character had the misfortune to have the same surname as a known local nonce some years ago and had a lot of unfounded grief as a result.

For reasons such as that I err on the side of caution.