Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Some advice required.....

Going through a break with the other half, we're not married, no kids, so should all be fairly smooth..................you would think.

The issue is it's my house, she's not on my mortgage but because she's been giving me money each month towards bills etc, she wants some money back before she leaves. I've got no issue with this and agree she shoud have some, however we are currently miles apart in the amount she should get.

I've offered to give her a couple of thousand up front so she's got a deposit, first months rent and a little bit left over. She wants about 7-8k and has said she's going nowhere until she gets it.

My question to the masses here is, anyone been in a similar situation, how was it resolved, and where do i stand from a legal point of view if it ever got that far?? Is she legally entitled to anything?

Comments

• Options
    FAO legal addick
  • Options
    I'd say it depends on how much she has paid and for how long she been paying Chris pal. If your ex is anything like any of mine, you triple any figure you come up with and it'll be somewhere near where she is. Good luck, hope it gets sorted soon pal
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Know very little about this but I believe you're in a pretty strong position if her name isn't on the mortgage. I would've thought in the eyes of the law she's not different from any old random lodger you'd picked up off Spareroom.com. They wouldn't be demanding 8 grand back from you.
  • Options
    Tell the police you thought it was a burglar.
  • Options
    Hire a hitman
  • Options
    Google it but a friend of mine went through the same thing recently and I believe she tried to claim to be a common law wife and wanted half the house despite not being on the Mortgage but ended up with no rights at all.

• Options
    I think it depends how long she has been paying to stay in that house, my dad had something similar but the other way round. In the end took the easy route for the kids sake, if noone on here can help ill ask my stepdad who is a solicitor what his thoughts are
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Offer half that sum...if she goes down the private action route be sure to tell the bare bones truth, even if it may initially appear to you to be counter productive.
  • Options
    Would you like me to have a.....erm.....Friendly word with her about this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is it, not only is her name not on the mortgage but the money she gives me each month has been in cash, it's not been paid direct from her bank to mine so 'technically' i could claim she's given me f*ck all couldn't i? Or even claim that the money she gave me was just for bills, nothing to do with the mortgage or anything like that?

But i really don't want the hassle and expense of going through solicitors to get this resolved.

But if she refuses to go untils he's got this fantast sum then what can i do?

• Options
    Should have given her a rent book.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Act with dignity. It is only money, you have had happy times together I assume so you should behave honourably.
  • Options
    Tell her she can have part of the house ...... The outside ;-)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    kimbo said:

Act with dignity. It is only money, you have had happy times together I assume so you should behave honourably.

Where does honour come into it? He owns the house, she doesn't. Why should she get anything at all? I think he's being more than generous already.

• Options
    Sounds like she's being a bit cheeky really, unless you had an agreement that she was paying half the mortgage. I lived with my now wife for a number of years before we bought a place together. I gave her cash each month toward household bills, and she used that as she saw fit. If we'd split up I would never even have considered claiming she owed me anything.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Wow I'm not alone.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

kimbo said:

Where does honour come into it? He owns the house, she doesn't. Why should she get anything at all? I think he's being more than generous already.

Quite, she paid rent to live with him, and he let her. Service paid for.
  • Options
    So putting aside whether she should or shouldn't get anything, it seems like she either accepts my offer or we go to court where she would probably get nothing. Is that right?
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Seriously?

Id be interested to hear what she was paying and how long for before i could honestly say.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having two ex wives, you will get screwed! Mine even got half of my projected compen for a work injury!!
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

kimbo said:

Seriously?

Id be interested to hear what she was paying and how long for before i could honestly say.

3 years, £400 a month.

• Options

Curb_It said:

kimbo said:

Seriously?

3 years, £400 a month.

Sounds like a share of the bills to me. (But then I'm not much of a keen philanthropist!)
  • Options
    Think yourself lucky you're not married with any kids ;)

What I would suggest you do, go and speak to a solicitor (you'll get the first appointment free) then you can run it past them and they'll tell you exactly where you stand. Then you'll know once and for all.

The solicitor will confirm the meeting in writing, presumably saying she doesnt have a leg to stand on then you can show her the edited letter to that effect and hopefully she'll change her stance. Good luck!
  • Options
    Oh well i have no idea to be honest now. I thought if it might have been a year or so it was a bit cheeky.

She basically wants half of what she's paid back? Did she have a property before she moved in with you, ie could she have been paying off a mortgage?
  • Options
    kimbo said:

Just pack your bags and leave Chris alone. Its his house :D
  • Options
    how long did you own the property before she came along?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Oh well i have no idea to be honest now. I thought if it might have been a year or so it was a bit cheeky.

She basically wants half of what she's paid back? Did she have a property before she moved in with you, ie could she have been paying off a mortgage?

Yeah she's got a flat which she rents out so that covers her mortgage.

• Options
    Well then personally I think she's taking the piss.

But that is no way a legal opinion.

• Options
    Lol!