Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Some advice required.....

Comments

• Options
    Solicitors are a lot of money though and I wouldn't recommend it other than for a 30 minute consultation or so. I think you're being more than generous with the 2000 quid and I don't think she has a leg to stand on if you insist she leaves. She can't blackmail you by staying until you've paid what she's demanding. It doesn't work like that. The consultation would tell you where you stand legally.

I would try to keep it civil though. From one who has been through a very acrimonous divorce - it just isn't worth it.
  • Options
    Tell her where she can get off as far as I'm concerned, £400 a month is a steal (my girlfriends student accomodation is £550pm for a room and a shared kitchen) and she has a place to move back into anyway so it's not like she needs the money to prevent homelessness
  • Options
    She is taking the piss. Presuming you live in London then she is getting a private home for 100 quid per week including bills - that's dirt cheap.

Toss her a copy of the Evening Standard or News Shopper and ask her where she will get a better deal than that.

Some people are just unbelievable.
  • Options
    The website 'living together' has advice on what rights co-habiting couples do (and don't) have in law.

This page - http://www.advicenow.org.uk/living-together/breaking-up/ - may be worth a look if you haven't already.

Hope you get things sorted.
  • Options
    If you want a quiet life and to be at peace with her and yourself, then I stick with my first suggestion. However, if you don't mind the aftermath then tell her to do one...she really doesn't stand a chance in hell of getting anything.
  • Options
    Lock her in the toilet, shoot her a few times and claim you thought she was a burglar.......simples!
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Lock her in the toilet, shoot her a few times and claim you thought she was a burglar.......simples!

Only thing is you will have to be legless at the time.
  • Options
    Surely if she goes down the common law wife route, then you're entitled to half her property.
  • Options
    but i haven't been living at or paying anything towards her flat though, whereas she has at mine.
  • Options
    I'm not sure that 'common law wife' actually means anything these days, if it ever did. In fact, a quick google tells me that it stopped meaning anything in 1753!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I suppose it really boils down to one question..... How big are her tits?

And their ratio to her derby and harris.
  • Options
    While she's been living cheaply at your place she's been earning from her flat! I would ask her for 50% of the money she's earned on her flat!
  • Options
    Has she been paying income tax on letting her flat? If she's 'forgotten' to do that then if it goes to court she would have to say she was living in her flat and that would make her case fall apart.

I, personally, wouldn't give her anything as I suspect that three years is way too short to make a claim. Equally if it's going to be a 'common law wife' situation I'm sure you will be able to make a lain on her flat, and she won't want that.
  • Options
    You need to see a solicitor.
    It will depend on how many years you have been together.
    If she contributed to the mortgage (even indirectly) then she will have a claim on some equity in the house.
    If you have been together a long time then the value can be large based on equity growth.
    As said, see a solicitor, it will be worth it.
  • Options
    Leroy has considered your conundrum and opines thusly:

She's got some fucking nerve - tell the chancer to piss off.
  • Options
    Hold fire , tonight can ask my stepdad and may save you the bother... unless he says you need to see a solicitor lol

Good luck with this Chris, personally i agree she should be entitled to sweet AFKA, I mean FA :)

or you can try a nice bluff 'i have gone to see a solicitor who said your entitled to nothing', take the £2k as a goodwill gesture or dont get any
  • Options
    I think in order to determine the answers to this, we need to start a wouldya thread.
  • Options

Hold fire , tonight can ask my stepdad and may save you the bother... unless he says you need to see a solicitor lol

Thanks mate, I've already said to her if it goes to court you could end up getting nothing but she's not budging. I've made steps to see my Dad's solicitor early next week but if you can get me any info in the meantime then that would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Good luck, Chris.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The more information on this, the more I think she's actually entitled to absolutely nothing, legally or morally.

She's been living for next to nothing in your house whilst taking rent and paying the mortgage off on her flat.

I'd call the locksmith before the solicitor I think!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I'd call the locksmith before the solicitor I think!

This. 100%

• Options

Good luck with this Chris, personally i agree she should be entitled to sweet AFKA

Hell yeah, come to papa. The ladeez luuurve that sweet-smelling AFKA :-)

I agree 100% with PITL btw
  • Options
    Having read Len's link, I would say she is Oscar Pistorious.

She hasn't got a leg to stand on :-)
  • Options
    If she is just paying bills then they are "running costs" (?) and she would have incured them wherever she was living.

If she has been contributing to the mortgage then any interest element of that would surely also be a monthly "living charge". Anything paid off of the capital may be considered up for debate.

But I am no expert.
  • Options
    Well she's just been giving me a sum each month, all the bills and mortgage are in my name. So she gives me money, i pay it into my account and then i just use it for whatever.

When she moved in, i worked out what the mortgage and bills totalled then rather than split it 50-50, agreed more like a 65-35 because i earn more.

So she gives me money for a share of everything, no real definition on it being just for the mortgage or just for bills.
  • Options
    Any receipts or records?
  • Options
    receipts or records of what?
  • Options
    money she gave you
  • Options
    so she was living there for cheap, you was paying more than half anyway and its all in your name?!!!!

Jog on love!