Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ralph Milne

Just a heads up, there is a 30 minute documentary about him on Man U tv now (and its free to watcg)

Comments

• "I didn't enjoy Charlton"

"I hated it down there"

Nice one Ralph. I've always defended you in the past but, quite frankly, you were shit for us. Absolute dogshit.
  • Did anyone every tell him that we didn't enjoy him here either?
  • cafckev said:

Did anyone every tell him that we didn't enjoy him here either?

Maybe we should ask him for some of his wages back? Oh, silly me, he drank them didn't he. Arsehole.

• Off_it said:

"I didn't enjoy Charlton"

"I hated it down there"

Nice one Ralph. I've always defended you in the past but, quite frankly, you were shit for us. Absolute dogshit.

On what grounds did you defend Ralphie? I saw most of his games for us and apart from a not bad game in the 4-3 win vs Watford he was totally anonymous!

I remember asking Johnny Humphrey about Ralph at a POTY and he just rolled his eyes.....
  • edited February 2013
    Was relieved the day he left for Bristol City (I think). Totally amazed when Fergie then signed him for Man U...can only think he was bought to be the manager's gopher!

Would have fitted in well with our midfield yesterday though!! ;-/
  • Oh dear, Ralphyboy Milne. Quite simply Useless. Him along with Rommedhal and Pringle were massive disappointments for me. I still reckon he had one leg shorter than the other and that we bought a pup
  • He says exactly the same about Charlton in his book.
  • shirty5 said:

He says exactly the same about Charlton in his book.

Did he seriously write an auto-biography?

Whose next to write one then, Reuben Agboola?!!!
  • Before my time but seems like a player who had the world at his feet and threw it away. How were we able to sign him if he was so good at Dundee Utd? How did the Dundee fans take to him?!
  • Before my time but seems like a player who had the world at his feet !

Sadly, by the time he arrived at Charlton he could no longer see his feet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:

"I hated it down there"

On what grounds did you defend Ralphie? I saw most of his games for us and apart from a not bad game in the 4-3 win vs Watford he was totally anonymous!

I remember asking Johnny Humphrey about Ralph at a POTY and he just rolled his eyes.....
    On the grounds that he clearly had some talent - his career before and after us proves that - but for whatever reason it didn't work out for us or him. You could see him trying, it just wasn't working.

As you say, that game against Watford he was mustard and he had one other good game I can recall against Oxford at home. Other than that he was pretty shit.

Unbeknown to me at the time he was drinking his wages. I guess that might explain a lot, but it ain't really my problem.

Came across as a twat in the 5 minutes of the documentary I watched before getting the ump and turning it over.
  • Before my time but seems like a player who had the world at his feet and threw it away. How were we able to sign him if he was so good at Dundee Utd? How did the Dundee fans take to him?!

He was one of those players who had an abundance of ability but was a poor trainer - in that he rarely kept or stayed fit and seems to have had a drink problem. Not that he was always drunk but he seemed to enjoy the social side of the game to the detriment of the playing side of the game. Lennie signed him on the basis that Dundee had had enough of him and maybe he would reform, get fit and be one of those great and cheap acquisitions that look like great business. Other than the (very) odd match he was anonymous and was soon shifted on.

• ooooooooooooo plz when he waddled on the pitch with a sunday morning footie team beer gut -----it didnt take a degree in sports science to see he was a pisshead
  • Off_it said:

Off_it said:

"I hated it down there"

On the grounds that he clearly had some talent - his career before and after us proves that - but for whatever reason it didn't work out for us or him. You could see him trying, it just wasn't working.

As you say, that game against Watford he was mustard and he had one other good game I can recall against Oxford at home. Other than that he was pretty shit.

Unbeknown to me at the time he was drinking his wages. I guess that might explain a lot, but it ain't really my problem.

Came across as a twat in the 5 minutes of the documentary I watched before getting the ump and turning it over.
    He had pedigree at Dundee, no doubt but how Ferguson bought him for United on the basis of what he had done in League One at Brizzle's remains a mystery.

Of course, he scored his one and only goal for United.......against us!
  • The thing that gets me is that Ferguson signed him, as the first thing he did at Utd was to kick out the drinkers at the club.
  • The thing that gets me is that Ferguson signed him, as the first thing he did at Utd was to kick out the drinkers at the club.

Great point, imagine what Whiteside, McGrath et al thought about it!
  • And I still say that my biggest shock at a football game was when he bloody scored against us at Old Trafford!
  • Worst ever Charlton player and seen some poor one's ie Mike Small and Paul Bacon. Would have fitted in well in our midfield yesterday!
  • Piss taking fat ginger knacker
  • Sponsored links:

• Milne purports to have no regrets, but it sounds a hollow claim. He admits he rues the day he ever left Dundee United, to be cast adrift at Charlton Athletic, where he endured a jolting culture shock. His bitterness grew all the more acute when, in 1987, he watched his hometown club beat Barcelona in the quarter-finals of the Uefa Cup: "I thought, I should be playing there, not at ------- Crystal Palace."
  • Before my time but seems like a player who had the world at his feet !

Sadly, by the time he arrived at Charlton he could no longer see his feet.
    PMSL
  • Just watched it, what a knob - looks like his career after leaving Dundee Utd was a joke, wasted his opportunity. 0 caps for Scotland says it all.
  • An early example of being Charltonised

• se9addick said:

Just watched it, what a knob - looks like his career after leaving Dundee Utd was a joke, wasted his opportunity. 0 caps for Scotland says it all.

To be fair the Jocks had a good side in those days, Milne was up against the likes of Pat Nevin, Gordon Strachan, Davie Copper, Tommy Burns and others for the wide-roles.

He'd have probably got 50 caps today!
  • se9addick said:

Just watched it, what a knob - looks like his career after leaving Dundee Utd was a joke, wasted his opportunity. 0 caps for Scotland says it all.

To be fair the Jocks had a good side in those days, Milne was up against the likes of Pat Nevin, Gordon Strachan, Davie Copper, Tommy Burns and others for the wide-roles.

He'd have probably got 50 caps today!
    Even during his time with us!
  • He was a pretty awful player at Dundee Utd. Bit of an enigma, occasionally had a blinder in a big european game, but never consistently any good.
  • He was a pretty awful player at Dundee Utd. Bit of an enigma, occasionally had a blinder in a big european game, but never consistently any good.

Harsh, still made it to the Dundee United Hall of Fame!

I actually watched some of their European games on You Tube the other night, they had a cracking side and played some great football with Sturrock etc being top players.

They even gave a very decent Man United team a good game in 1983/84, losing by the odd goal in seven over two legs.