Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ralph Milne

2»

Comments

• Options
    That surprises me Ormi, as you say they did have an excellent side at the time (back line of Gough, Narey, Hegarty and Malpas may well have been the best in Britain at the time) and I can only think his inclusion is more down to his occasionally enigmatic wonder performances and association to that golden age. Amazing how many of them never saw a cap - guys like Billy Thompson or Iain Ferguson would be first name on the teamsheet material now.
  • Options
    Melrose said:

I still reckon he had one leg shorter than the other and that we bought a pup

When he first came on he did look unbalanced and judging by his alcohol addiction, he probably was - in more ways than one.

I think Lennie believed he had unearthed the new John Robertson but he was just a fat Jock without the talent.
  • Options
    Having to drag himself on to the pitch to the refrain of "He's fat, he's round, his arse drags on the ground, Ralphie Milne, Ralphie Milne" probably means it was unlikely that he'd have good memories of playing for Charlton!
  • Options

That surprises me Ormi, as you say they did have an excellent side at the time (back line of Gough, Narey, Hegarty and Malpas may well have been the best in Britain at the time) and I can only think his inclusion is more down to his occasionally enigmatic wonder performances and association to that golden age. Amazing how many of them never saw a cap - guys like Billy Thompson or Iain Ferguson would be first name on the teamsheet material now.

From the clips I saw one of their best players was the big number 5 John Clark, scored some great and crucial goals.
  • Options
    He used to get called "Filthy" after a character Filthy Ralph in Filthy, Rich and Catflap, a TV series at the time. Doubt he thought much off that either.
  • Options

Before my time but seems like a player who had the world at his feet and threw it away. How were we able to sign him if he was so good at Dundee Utd? How did the Dundee fans take to him?!

Having lived in Scotland in the mid 80's, Dundee was about 40 miles from where i lived, and had a couple of mates who were season ticket holders, i saw a few games and MIlne was great, often putting the ball in the top corner from 25 yards. My mates were hacked off when we brought him for 125k. i saw a few games with him at Charlton and didnt seem the same player.
  • Options
    When i was also there i wrote to the club and told them about 4 players they should come and look .

Maurice Johnson Partick (went to watford)
    Pat Nevin Clyde (went to Chelsea)
    Darren Jackson Meadowbank (went to Newcastle) scored against us at Selhurst.
    Alan Lawrence Meadowbank (went to Hearts)

This was several months before they all went and i received a nice letter from lennie lawrence saying they would look at those players, but obviously didnt think they were good enough. Ummmmm
  • Options

From the clips I saw one of their best players was the big number 5 John Clark, scored some great and crucial goals.
    Wow, you have looked into it a bit. He was a decent player. Played centre back or centre forward, which is a lost art (Christian Dailly also started there largely as a forward). He was a bit after the championship winning side, but popped up with a few crucial goals. As I recall kept falling out with United's svengali/insane manager Jim McLean, which wasn't too difficult.

• Options
    Chippy - that is a very good scouting list. How did you see them - before the days of Scottish lower leagues being televised?
  • Options

Wow, you have looked into it a bit. He was a decent player. Played centre back or centre forward, which is a lost art (Christian Dailly also started there largely as a forward). He was a bit after the championship winning side, but popped up with a few crucial goals. As I recall kept falling out with United's svengali/insane manager Jim McLean, which wasn't too difficult.

I only watched two clips on You Tube! Just remember this hulking bloke Clark having a thunderous shot and being great in the air too.

I think big Chris Samba used to play centre half and centre forward for Blackburn too, when Big Sam was there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chippy - that is a very good scouting list. How did you see them - before the days of Scottish lower leagues being televised?

I used to watch Cowdenbeath and still do occassionally. Saw them play against them when i wasnt at Charlton. They stood out as they ripped Cowden apart.
  • Options
    an I imagining this but didn't he get in a good position to score in the full members cup at wembley, when we were already trailing 0-1 and totally f@ck it up?
  • Options
    Think it was still 0-0 at the time, but yes, Ralphie missed the sitter.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

"I didn't enjoy Charlton"

"I hated it down there"

Nice one Ralph. I've always defended you in the past but, quite frankly, you were shit for us. Absolute dogshit.

What was his excuse when he went to United then seeing as he was just as sh*te there.

"Sir Alex Ferguson has finally confirmed what every Manchester United fan already knew: his worst signing ever was Ralph Milne.

Speaking at a League Managers Association dinner to honour the 14 surviving coaches who have presided over 1,000-plus league games, Ferguson admitted that Milne, who moved to Old Trafford in November 1988 from Third Division Bristol City, was top of his list of transfer regrets.

"My worst signing? Ralph Milne. I only paid £170,000 but I still get condemned for it."

Is Milne the first player in history to make the worst ever player list at TWO clubs?
  • Options
    Better at hitting women than the back of the net.

FOOTIE legend Ralph Milne was banned from a town by a court after he was accused of attacking a woman.
    The former Dundee United idol was ordered to stay away from Carnoustie, Angus, following the alleged assault in the town.
    Milne, 52, is said to have grabbed the woman by the head and neck, forced her towards a frying pan full of hot fat and repeatedly punched her head at a property there over the weekend.
    Sheriff Peter Paterson told him: “You are not to enter Carnoustie at all.” Milne, of Dundee — who also played for Man United — denies the charges and faces trial next month at Arbroath Sheriff Court. He was bailed on condition he does not contact the woman.
    Milne is adored by Dundee United fans as a key figure in the club’s trophy-winning teams of the 1980s.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/scottishnews/4964954/Football-legend-Ralph-Milne-is-kicked-out-of-town.html
  • Options
    Looks like he's found his level - the shithouse.
  • Options
    What a prick.
  • Options
    To be fair to him, if you push someone in any direction in Scotland, chances are it will be towards a pan of hot fat.
  • Options
    Milne was and still is a total arsehole. As a player with us, he was a complete donkey - he should get banged up for that, in addition to doing time for attacking the poor woman.