Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players taking shirts off.

Does any else think like me,that players who take their shirt off after scoring a goal should be shown a straight red card.I can understand that adrenaline kicks in,but I cannot see any purpose in it, and think the F.A should rule it to be a red card.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    What harm does it do?

I don't understand why, in itself, it gets a yellow let alone a red.

If timewasting is perceived to be the motive then book them for that.
  • Options
    No, they should be flogged at the nearest set of gallows instead. If none are nearby, then a yellow card is sufficient punishment.
  • Options
    I think they should be forced to play the remainder of the match with a lit flare up sticking out their arse. Only way to stop it.
  • Options
    Why do they even get booked. Is it for getting there tats out in public
  • Options
    The rest of the team should be made to take their shirts off and play in skins for the rest of the game as punishment.
  • Options
    A straight red ? Bloody hell.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

No, they should be flogged at the nearest set of gallows instead. If none are nearby, then a yellow card is sufficient punishment.

Typical PC Leftie CL comment. Hang 'em high.

• Options
    I think it should be compulsory to strip down to just the socks after scoring.
  • Options
    Addicted said:

I think it should be compulsory to strip down to just the socks after scoring.

Agreed.

• Options
    Don't know if this is true, but someone once told me the reason they get booked is because the sponsors don't like it. If you think about it, sponsors pay money to have their logo on the shirt. When a player scores a goal, the TV cameras will zoom in and that's when the sponsors get the most coverage. If they take their shirt off, then the effect is lost.

As a say, don't know if it's true, but it's an interesting theory. No doubt there is another 'official' explanation that doesn't involve money!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jodaius said:

Don't know if this is true, but someone once told me the reason they get booked is because the sponsors don't like it. If you think about it, sponsors pay money to have their logo on the shirt. When a player scores a goal, the TV cameras will zoom in and that's when the sponsors get the most coverage. If they take their shirt off, then the effect is lost.

As a say, don't know if it's true, but it's an interesting theory. No doubt there is another 'official' explanation that doesn't involve money!

Possibly. But if its true, Nathan dyer should have been booked at the weekend. He turned his shirt around to advertise the dyers of the world
  • Options
    Derek1952 said:

Does any else think like me,that players who take their shirt off after scoring a goal should be shown a straight red card.I can understand that adrenaline kicks in,but I cannot see any purpose in it, and think the F.A should rule it to be a red card.

Care to explain why it should be a red?

There's a lot of things that happen in the game that don't have great purposes to it.
  • Options
    Jodaius said:

I saw a photo last week, think it was in Everton's changing room where there was a warning that any player taking shirts off would get fined for that reason. I'll try and dig it up on my lunch break.

• Options
    Diego Forlan took ages one year to put his Man Utd shirt back on after scoring due to the double layered design of the shirt. It was after this that they introduced the rule of a booking, but I don't know if this is partly why.
  • Options
    I don't know the reasons why but the fact is that taking your shirt off has been an automatic yellow card for many years now. If I was the manager I'd fine any player doing it 2 weeks wages as they have just deliberately got themselves booked.
  • Options
    Crap I know - but may also fall into the ungentlemanly conduct / over celebration / crowd incitement area?!?
  • Options
    Think it is ridiculous personally. You also get a booking for celebrating with your fans. Always notice how in those situations it tends to be the goalscorer who gets booked, but none of the team-mates who join him.
  • Options
    For some reason this conversation reminded me of a Not the Nine O'clock news sketch involving women's football...

The whole things seems a bit daft, I've no idea why players want to take their shirt off when they celebrate anyway,
  • Options
    I think the OP is on his own with this one but goalscorers who do stupid pre-planned dance routines should see red.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure it's something FIFA brought in to help promote the game in the middle east. Not wearing a shirt in public is deemed offensive over there, so they're trying to stop footballers taking there's off during matches. I may stand corrected though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think the OP is on his own with this one but goalscorers who do stupid pre-planned dance routines should see red.

I totally agree. And the ban gets extended proportionate to stupidity/ridiculousness of dance... as decided by the opposition fans. That would soon cut it out.
  • Options
    It still seems crazy that it's a booking. If time wasting is the worry, then surely the referee delaying things further to book players is counter-productive.

A simple solution would be to restart the game after 60 seconds, if any players are still frolicking around with their own supporters, or tied in a knot trying to get their shirt back on, then hard luck, game's restarted, you can't come back onto the pitch until waved on by the referee.
  • Options
    Shouldn't even be a yellow, never mind a red. Ridiculous rule.
  • Options
    It shouldn't even be a yellow..
  • Options
    Its a FIFA edict and along the lines of Peakies post above - something to do with Muslim countries not allowed to see people "topless" be it a man or a women and as football is a global sport then it is best to avoid all possible problems.

As for it being a straight red..............get real !!!
  • Options

I'm pretty sure it's something FIFA brought in to help promote the game in the middle east. Not wearing a shirt in public is deemed offensive over there, so they're trying to stop footballers taking there's off during matches. I may stand corrected though.

This was what I heard too. I believe it was the old ref Roger Milford who said this.

• Options
    It's in the laws:

Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

A player must be cautioned if:
    1. in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory of inflammatory
    2. he climbs the perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored
    3. he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt
    4. he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

Leaving the field of play to celebrate a goal is not a cautionable offence in itself but it is essential that players return to the field of play as soon as possible.

Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal.
  • Options
    Getafe kit from a couple of years ago...

Marketing genius!
  • Options
    ha ha quality
  • Options
    don't think there should be any celebrating at all, it's only a boring, stupid goal.