Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Players taking shirts off.

2»

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

What harm does it do?

I don't understand why, in itself, it gets a yellow let alone a red.
    If timewasting is perceived to be the motive then book them for that.

It's an EU directive Len.
  • Options
    I'd love a change in the law that stated a team can celebrate all they want but opposition could kick off as soon as they get the ball to the centrespot. Who knows with Forest celebrating for so long on Saturday we might have managed a shot on target from the KO.
    By the way I've heard that in some of the oversees territories where our footy is shown taking your shirt off is deemed to be offensive.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

I think the OP is on his own with this one but goalscorers who do stupid pre-planned dance routines should see red.

I totally agree. And the ban gets extended proportionate to stupidity/ridiculousness of dance... as decided by the opposition fans. That would soon cut it out.
    On those grounds, Lee Hughes wouldn't have played a game for 20 years, not a bad thing really...................
  • Options
    Strange last night that Carroll celebrated his penalty with V signs to the Spurs fans and no card where Cole celebrated with the home fans and got a Yellow. Lack of consistency the problem again
  • Options
    I like it................. ;)
  • Options
    Another factor is aiming to dissuade players from displaying messages on undershirts which is too risky to allow.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Jodaius said:

Don't know if this is true, but someone once told me the reason they get booked is because the sponsors don't like it. If you think about it, sponsors pay money to have their logo on the shirt. When a player scores a goal, the TV cameras will zoom in and that's when the sponsors get the most coverage. If they take their shirt off, then the effect is lost.

As a say, don't know if it's true, but it's an interesting theory. No doubt there is another 'official' explanation that doesn't involve money!

I saw a photo last week, think it was in Everton's changing room where there was a warning that any player taking shirts off would get fined for that reason. I'll try and dig it up on my lunch break.

I think it was the Oldham players who were told they must not swap shirts at the end of the match as they had a shortage of shirts due to their financial situation. I also heard that they couldn't afford to buy any of the footballs used in the FA Cup this season. As the footballs being used in the FA Cup this year behave differently from other footballs, each time they knocked a team out of the cup, they asked if they could have the balls they had been using so they could practise with them. Just shows the difference between the 'haves' and 'have nots' in football these days.
  • Options
    It's part of the kit and wearing the kit is part of the rules. I remember Beckham getting booked in an England match once because his boot came off and he kicked the ball.
  • Options
    As the footballs being used in the FA Cup this year behave differently from other footballs, each time they knocked a team out of the cup, they asked if they could have the balls they had been using so they could practise with them.
    Seriously!? I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference to a League 1 outfit which particular butcher the pig's bladder had come from. Do the FA Cup balls 'hoof' slightly to the left perhaps?
  • Options

Jodaius said:

Don't know if this is true, but someone once told me the reason they get booked is because the sponsors don't like it. If you think about it, sponsors pay money to have their logo on the shirt. When a player scores a goal, the TV cameras will zoom in and that's when the sponsors get the most coverage. If they take their shirt off, then the effect is lost.

As a say, don't know if it's true, but it's an interesting theory. No doubt there is another 'official' explanation that doesn't involve money!

Possibly. But if its true, Nathan dyer should have been booked at the weekend. He turned his shirt around to advertise the dyers of the world
    I remember when Robbie Fowler first broke in the Liverpool team as a youngster (scary thought but I remember it) but when he did frist break in he used to turn his shirt back to front when he scored.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addicted said:

I think it should be compulsory to strip down to just the socks after scoring.

Mmmm yes agree :)
  • Options
    My favourite ever (non-Charlton) goal ended with the player taking his shirt off.... it's part of the entertainment.

I forgot you can be entertained at football.
  • Options
    If I was a manager and a player got booked for taking his shirt off I'd throw the book at him. It may well be a stupid rule, but it is a rule and unlike most others there is absolutely no ambiguity. Cole couldn't afford to make a tackle after being booked. Utterly irresponsible.
  • Options

My favourite ever (non-Charlton) goal ended with the player taking his shirt off.... it's part of the entertainment.

I forgot you can be entertained at football.

Is it really?
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

The rest of the team should be made to take their shirts off and play in skins for the rest of the game as punishment.

But what if the oppo then score and the player takes the shirt off. Two teams playing skins? We have trouble finding our own player when they are wearing differing shirts from the oppo