Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football for a Fiver

Was just thinking- is it merely coincidental in this post Airman era at CAFC that all has gone quiet on this at the club....
Can't see it being repeated again this season. Which brings me onto another point. Am I the only one that thinks £30 for a Premium match is too expensive? Discuss....

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Yes £30 is expensive , but not as expensive as Arsenal!

No wonder they've got a reported 125 million in the bank.
  • Options
    The Fans Forum discussed football for a fiver with Michael Slater and Steve Bradshaw and it is still on the agenda although the Clubs idea of doing it for FA Cup games wouldn't work (minimum FA set price and having to share income with other cub and FA plus less run up time).

It's only 30 quid in the most expensive area, plenty of cheaper seats in North upper, quads and some parts of east and west. Best alternative is to buy a ST.
  • Options
    It's now 'Football for a Skiver'
  • Options
    We haven't got season tickets, but have been to more than half of our home games this season, and it's really nice picking and choosing when we go instead of feeling like we have to. We've done this for the last 2 or 3 years.

We got up saturday and fancied the game, but looked up tickets online (difficult to find information on that website!) and to sit with my dad/uncle in the west it would have cost us £60. We had a friend that may have had a spare in the west, so we were waiting for word that we could use the spare and split the cost of 1 ticket between us. Whist waiting, we booked tickets for the cinema that evening. My friend got back to me with no spare ticket, we didn't go, and we had dinner after the cinema instead for £40. would have happily paid that to see Reidy & co, but couldn't justify the extra £20.

Admittedly we could have sat in a different stand, but part of the reason to go is to catch up with my grandad, dad and uncle before game and plus sitting in the north has not been enjoyable for years, part of the reason we gave up our season tickets.

The initiatives were always great for us, as it was that extra incentive to get a ticket that might not have been tempting without the discount. We have been to some £30 games this season, but it's an expensive whim if we do go.

• Options
    .....but we are not watching Arsenal!!?? I was shocked when my brother was stung for £60 for 2 tickets on Saturday. Not sure Forest are worthy of Cat A/Premium costs. He probably wouldn't have gone if he had known the cost - I think he'll be checking cost in future (and possibly not 'casually' attending a number of matches on that basis.

One concludes that the pricing strategy is going wrong somewhere on that basis. Can we afford to lose 'casual' support? I refused to go to Palace because they wamted £32. That seems decent value now compared to £30 for Forest; especially given our appalling home record.
  • Options
    £30 is great value especially with the sublime football on display each week not forgetting the pristine carpet like pitch it is played on.
  • Options

£30 is great value especially with the sublime football on display each week not forgetting the pristine carpet like pitch it is played on.

you forgot the food.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

Not sure Forest are worthy of Cat A/Premium costs.

I think the categories are likely based on how many away fans we'll see, to squeeze as much money as we can out of them. Like Brighton, and I imagine Leeds will be the same. Was Sheff W category A too?
  • Options
    £30 is daylight robbery for the football we've served up at home.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

Yes, but you don't know what's going to happen when you set the prices, do you. What was the Cardiff game worth? If I'd paid £60 I would still have felt like I'd got good value.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could I reclaim the £60 cashback for last Saturday?
  • Options
    Am I imagining it, or did a club once refund fans following a terrible performance?
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Yes, but you don't know what's going to happen when you set the prices, do you. What was the Cardiff game worth? If I'd paid £60 I would still have felt like I'd got good value.
    Maybe we should pay on the way out after the final whistle
  • Options

Uboat said:

Liking it Mike! A bit like those dreadful tv shows where B&B owners go and stay in each others gaff and then pay what they think it is worth for the night.

• Options
    edited February 2013

Uboat said:

Liking it Mike! A bit like those dreadful tv shows where B&B owners go and stay in each others gaff and then pay what they think it is worth for the night.

Ha, ha a bit like that, after the Cardiff game we can all be seen slipping 3 x crisp tenners to the turnstile opertaor thanking him and saying we will see him next time. However after the Forest game we all file out flipping pound coins at him whilst giving him glaring looks. :-)
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

.....but we are not watching Arsenal!!?? I was shocked when my brother was stung for £60 for 2 tickets on Saturday. Not sure Forest are worthy of Cat A/Premium costs.

I think Forest are. But Charlton arent.
  • Options
    I don't mind paying £30 as long as it keeps us in this division.
  • Options
    I would say I got my ST 'wish you were here' pack earlier this week. very compelling and did look at the prices and start working out how to pay for it but Mr Sausage wasn't as enthusiastic about committing to 2 season tickets for the year. :-s
  • Options
    Uboat said:

Am I imagining it, or did a club once refund fans following a terrible performance?

I'd be owed a couple of grand and a childhood if that was the case
  • Options

I would say I got my ST 'wish you were here' pack earlier this week. very compelling and did look at the prices and start working out how to pay for it but Mr Sausage wasn't as enthusiastic about committing to 2 season tickets for the year. :-s

You're the boss, so what he thinks is irrelevant

:-)

I think this is a good example of how once people stop having a season ticket, how easy it is for them to drift completely once they have broken 'the habit'. All of a sudden, handing over up to £30 for 90 mins football (£60 a couple) seems ridiculous when money is tight and you can put it far better use, or better value luxuries.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

"Mr Sausage" ha ha ha ha PMSL
  • Options
    keep it under your hat but...Charlton are doing a football for a tenner deal with Bexley Council employees for the Burnley match. Dustbin lids are a fiver. Call the ticket off up until 5pm on Friday. When booking, you must mention that you are an employee of London Borough of Bexley and provide the code number BC18. If purchasing in person you must show your Bexley staff pass. Tickets are in the East or North lower...You ain't see me, right?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I used to get a season ticket but I don't bother now.

I take my girlfriend's son to games and we probably go to around half the home games a season, plus an away game. We go into the Upper North so it only costs us 25 quid per game (he is under 11).

Then I get the annual 5 ticket booklet at Christmas which means that the premium rates don't apply (though I can't use the ticket for the Millwall game).

Pretty good value overall.
  • Options

I think this is a good example of how once people stop having a season ticket, how easy it is for them to drift completely once they have broken 'the habit'. All of a sudden, handing over up to £30 for 90 mins football (£60 a couple) seems ridiculous when money is tight and you can put it far better use, or better value luxuries.
    True. Its nice having the freedom of going when we want and not when we can't due to other arrangements. It's nice to go because we want to and will enjoy it more so. We did have a smug high five on saturday afternoon knowing that we'd saved the money and had a great day anyway. Have already bought tickets for 2 future home games coming up. Although, dont think they were £30 games.
  • Options

Based on last Saturday I think they should pay us at least a fiver to turn up.

At least it would subsidise the burger and bloody parking ticket.

I haven't had this difficulty getting someone to come to a Charlton home match with me since the dark days of Parky. My neighbour has a nine year old son who supports Arsenal who I am currently trying to groom (in the football sense obviously).

By grooming the under 11's you only have to pay £5 for their ticket but they have to listen to your moaning and tactical analysis for the entire 90 minutes which is good value overall.
  • Options
    based on this year are there many other clubs that charge their season ticket holders £75 a win
  • Options

True. Its nice having the freedom of going when we want and not when we can't due to other arrangements. It's nice to go because we want to and will enjoy it more so. We did have a smug high five on saturday afternoon knowing that we'd saved the money and had a great day anyway. Have already bought tickets for 2 future home games coming up. Although, dont think they were £30 games.
    You had a smug high five because we lost? Disgrace ;)
  • Options
    should be a flat £10 entrance fee but each seat has a hand control hooked up to each Charlton player with a red and green button on it. if a player does something good, you get to hit the green button sending creatine pumping through the veins of that player. however, if a player does something bad, you can hit the red button for the cost of a £1 (which is put in the club coffers) sending an electric shock through the player so severe that it momentarily causes him to forget he is on a football pitch.

for example, say 16,000 Charlton fans on Saturday, we would have raised a fortune just on Stepho and Dervite alone and would also have taught them a lesson.

• Options
    Macronate said:

however, if a player does something bad, you can hit the red button for the cost of a £1 (which is put in the club coffers) sending an electric shock through the player so severe that it momentarily causes him to forget he is on a football pitch.

some might say some don't require the electric shock to momentarily forget they're on a football pitch.
  • Options
    DPFC said:

based on this year are there many other clubs that charge their season ticket holders £75 a win

Based on their cheapest adult season ticket price, QPR are currently charging £499 per win at home!