Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

5 Things Powell Must Do To Restore Our Home Advantage

Hi guys,

Part inspired by yet another miserable afternoon at The Valley, part by the discussions on here and part by the excellent CAFC blogs in existence I thought I'd set up a blog and share some thoughts. I'm also just making my way into the journalism world so any feedback would be welcome. My first effort is here:

"5 Things Powell Must Do To Restore Our Home Advantage" - http://valleytalk.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/5-things-powell-must-do-to-restore-our-home-advantage/

Any feedack on the writing style would be appreciated and I'd love to know if you agree/disagree with the ideas.

Cheers

Comments

• Kerkar certainly gets me on my feet.......and up the steps and out the ground.
  • I do agree that Kerkar should get more of a run out
  • I do agree that Kerkar should get more of a run out

Is that a windup? The guy clearly isn't up to it.
  • Id rather see what Harriott has to offer before we use Kerkar again
  • Start Fuller so he can look shattered after 20 minutes? No thanks.
  • "I do agree that Kerkar should get more of a run out"

As longs as it's across the car park and up Floyd Road I'm fine with that!
  • I think starting Fuller upfront might hopefully encourage us to get the ball into his FEET.
  • edited February 2013
    An interesting, well written piece with ideas that are good in theory.

Unfortunately theory is not practice. There are massive questions over the ability of both Fuller and Haynes to play for 90 minutes given their fitness problems and, as you state, they are both key to changing our approach because of the qualities they offer that others don't.

You mention Kerkar and his assists against Cardiff. I'm going to don my tin hat and say bin Stephens from the starting X1 and try Kerkar in the middle alongside JJ supported by the energy of Waggy, Pritchard and Wilson.

Fuller on his own, if fit, with a view to introducing Haynes as an impact sub for one of the midfielders and reverting to 4-4-2 after 60-70 minutes once defenders start to tire.

Finally Gary is right. PLAY TO FEET!
  • Said it many times and I'll say it again. Kerkar is a non-league player who has struck lucky. Harriott deserves more of a chance than him although I'd stick with waggy for now, as I think he's done well since getting back into the team, apart from saturday (when no-one really came out of that match smelling of roses).
  • Sponsored links:

• Would like to see Harriot given 30-35mins as a sub at home, not sure on starting him
  • play Kerkar at left back - left back at Sparrows Lane that is. Two up front, Fuller and Obika with Haynes and Azeez to replace both when tired/crap. Wilson, Stephens, JJ, Waggy across the middle. Defence ok but maybe give Button a go.
  • Kerkar has got some real fans here lol!
  • I agree that the team needs to be able to change and react to what the opposition does during the game - but this is somthing that needs to be prepared for in training and comes with time. We forget at times that this is a relatively new team in a new division. Didn't Curbs say that every player should have at least two positions?
  • Good piece mate, keep it up.
  • play Kerkar at left back - left back at Sparrows Lane that is. Two up front, Fuller and Obika with Haynes and Azeez to replace both when tired/crap. Wilson, Stephens, JJ, Waggy across the middle. Defence ok but maybe give Button a go.

Not sure whether some of those around us in Block E would welcome Lawrie back into the fold...

Not sure whether some of those around us in Block E would welcome Lawrie back into the fold...

ha ha. I would though. Okay last home game he had a stinker but I've been impressed. Make sure you say goodbye if you leave early again this Saturday ;-)

ha ha. I would though. Okay last home game he had a stinker but I've been impressed. Make sure you say goodbye if you leave early again this Saturday ;-)

No fear of that, Large...

Tena Lady supplies redoubled .

• Only Azeez of those kids has been stand out, Harriott & Poyet have barely played although the former has impressed in cameos. Cook has been very poor when given 1st team chances. And reason number 6) get the defence to push up to half way and further forward!!!!
  • Start Fuller so he can look shattered after 20 minutes? No thanks.

Agreed. Perhaps he can drive Kerkar out of the car park and home!
  • Sponsored links:

• Thanks for the feedback and support much appreciated, glad it's provoked a little debate.

I agree Kerkar can be a very frustrating at times but to be fair to him I don't remember him ever having a performance as inept as some of those on show vs Forest.

Obviously as LenGlover these are all just theoretical suggestions, things that some fans would like to see happen/may have an effect on our fortunes.
  • A piece in the South london press a week or so back had Leon Cort saying we need to pick up our home form possibly by pushing more bodies forward but that decision lies with the manager & coaching staff. Players not happy with CPs tactics ?
  • A win might help for starters?
  • I'd start Harriot, it would be bold but I reckon he's got the skill and pace to scare defenses which is something we've been lacking this season.
  • It'd throw opponents off course too, away teams study us well when they come to the Valley.. and read us too well. Need to be bold and go for it today
  • Harriet 4-4-2
  • Well written piece Joe. As you can see above, it has done what it was meant to and provoked a bit of debate. Have to agree with most, I wouldn't have Kerkar near any team and hope that Harriott gets more chances before the end of the season. Would be very happy to see him start.

A good place to get exposure to journalism as well. If anyone hasn't checked out Sabotage Times, it's well worth dipping into now and again. I like their music stuff, but Joe's been doing his bit for Charlton too...

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/?s=Charlton
  • Powell did a,first class job last season and considering the lack of investment by the owners he has probably done as well as can be expected with the current squad. However he is too cautious at home and has failed to attend to the obvious weaknesses in midfield. This could prove costly for both him and Charlton who on current form will do well to avoid the drop.
  • TelMc32 said:

Well written piece Joe. As you can see above, it has done what it was meant to and provoked a bit of debate. Have to agree with most, I wouldn't have Kerkar near any team and hope that Harriott gets more chances before the end of the season. Would be very happy to see him start.

A good place to get exposure to journalism as well. If anyone hasn't checked out Sabotage Times, it's well worth dipping into now and again. I like their music stuff, but Joe's been doing his bit for Charlton too...

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/?s=Charlton

Cheers mate, thanks for the shout out!
  • Thanks to everyone who read the piece and posted feedback on here. It's much appreciated Clearly not many fans of Kerkar!! Glad to see that Harriott got same game time today, he looked sharp but the rest of the team seemed reluctant to bring him into the action.

But yeah once again, thanks for checking the blog out. I'll be posting more and if you're on twitter I'm at @valleytalkblog