Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Books you have given up on...

Comments

• Options
    redcarter said:

Hilary Mantel - Wolf Hall

me too, still got it on my kindle and hope to go back to it but was really boring

• Options
    kimbo said:

redcarter said:

Hilary Mantel - Wolf Hall

me too, still got it on my kindle and hope to go back to it but was really boring

Was expecting to really like it. It's just not written very well. There would be more than one male character in a scene and it just keeps saying he said, he said, he said.... WHO SAID?
  • Options
    Dwight Yorke autobiography....was the male equivalent of 50 shades of Grey!
  • Options
    I bought 1984 in a book shop in France to read on holiday. Was great, 'til I discovered some bastard had ripped the last ten pages out.
  • Options

War & Peace..........no joking. I bought it in a 2nd hand shop years ago but never got past the first few pages.

Stick with it mate, get 40 pages in and, honestly, no word of aa lie, it's a page turner, but you do have to get in a little way.

For me, in my desperately pretentious youth, "Finnegans Wake" First page took me about an hour, and that was it. Tried again a few years later, exactly the same. It isn't really a book, it's the worlds longest predictive text message.

• Options
    Got Life of Pi on my Kindle, but just cant get motivated to actually start it.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

I bought 1984 in a book shop in France to read on holiday. Was great, 'til I discovered some bastard had ripped the last ten pages out.

It actually all ends happily, except for the rat.
  • Options
    Millwall FC "The Golden Years".

Too short to bother with really.
  • Options
    Voice of The Valley is pretty heavy going - if only it was in comic strip format :-)
  • Options
    Catch 22 again, keep intending to pick it up but it's just hard to get in to. The book of Dave is another one i tried to get into a few times, but just couldn't manage it. The interpreation of dreams and the origin of species are books i have never quite finisheed either. I just read five people you meet in heaven - brilliant book!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Got Life of Pi on my Kindle, but just cant get motivated to actually start it.

Really enjoyed that book, once I'd got into it.
  • Options
    Lord of the Rings - gave up and watched the movie....still none the wiser!

Encouraging to hear about War and Peace - I started reading but only 20 pages in and gave up. I've just finished a book so I might give another go.
  • Options
    There was also quite a famous book whose name escapes me at present.
    The author was American but the writing style was very stacatto with very short sentences.

Really bugging me now.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Ernest Hemingway?

Jack Kerouac?
  • Options

Cloud Atlas and Captain Corelli

Bang on re Cloud Atlas. Trying it at the moment and am finding it a struggle.
  • Options
    Trainspotting
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Ernest Hemingway?

Jack Kerouac?

No - more modern.

• Options
    Spies, by Michael Frayn. I actually got to the end as I was convinced something had to happen. I was wrong.

If Jazz is musical wanking, then this was the literary equivalent.
  • Options

It's worth buying the book for the last ten pages, or at least visit the library. A great read.
    Solidgone said:

Lord of the Rings - gave up and watched the movie....still none the wiser!

I've heard people say the book has put some people off of reading!

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

The author was American but the writing style was very stacatto with very short sentences.

Really bugging me now.

The Road?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2013
    thenewbie said:

MrOneLung said:

Really bugging me now.

The Road?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    thenewbie said:

MrOneLung said:

Really bugging me now.

The Road?
    That's by Jack Kerouac - but apparently not the one he's looking for.

Really loved that book!

• Options
    Sorry for the double posting. Modern technology, etc etc.
  • Options
    The da vinci code
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

thenewbie said:

MrOneLung said:

Really bugging me now.

The Road?
    That's by Jack Kerouac - but apparently not the one he's looking for.

Really loved that book!

Kerouac is On The Road

The Road is by Cormac McCarthy
  • Options

The da vinci code

I would have given up on it, probably the worst book I've ever read, but it was so bad that I kept reading out of fascination at what plot contrivance the author would invent next.
  • Options

I struggled with Catch 22 as well....Catcher in the Rye was our book of choice in my English Lit class....hated it!!!

Actually reading Catch 22 at the moment, and got Catcher in the Rye next up. Am doing alright with it but I have got to be in the right mood.

I never actually finished Curbs' book, thought it was a bit too monotone and overly factual. Am usually pretty enthusiastic when it comes to non-fiction and autobiographies.

• Options

Cloud Atlas and Captain Corelli

Bang on re Cloud Atlas. Trying it at the moment and am finding it a struggle.
    Whatever you do, don't go see the film then. The only film I can remember when both my wife and I were checking the time, imploring it to to end.

My submission is Gomorrah, the book about the Neapolitan mafia. Just couldn't finish the relentless tales of appalling violence and corruption, knowing that it was all true and happening in a core EU country.
  • Options
    Just thought of another one - Stephen Donaldson's "Lord Fouls Bane" - the first of the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant, a friend absolutely raved over these, and it was the biggest pile of steaming horse manure I have ever come across.
  • Options
    Read every book by James Herbert, his new one (Ash - released last year) got half way through and not looked at it since.