Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Books you have given up on...

Comments

• Options

Just thought of another one - Stephen Donaldson's "Lord Fouls Bane" - the first of the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant, a friend absolutely raved over these, and it was the biggest pile of steaming horse manure I have ever come across.

Agree with this fully ...tried it a few times but gave up and chucked it out in the end
  • Options
    The Secret footballer - xmas present from well meaning relative, just too awful to continue past half way through.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Just thought of another one - Stephen Donaldson's "Lord Fouls Bane" - the first of the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant, a friend absolutely raved over these, and it was the biggest pile of steaming horse manure I have ever come across.

Agree with this fully ...tried it a few times but gave up and chucked it out in the end
    My friend always said if I could get through the first one, the rest were a much easier read. Sorry, if an author expects you to plough through 400 odd pages of rubbish to get to something worth reading he does not deserve your attention. At least the Cussler book was readable.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

thenewbie said:

MrOneLung said:

There was also quite a famous book whose name escapes me at present.
    The author was American but the writing style was very stacatto with very short sentences.

Really bugging me now.

The Road?
    That's by Jack Kerouac - but apparently not the one he's looking for.

Really loved that book!

Kerouac is On The Road

The Road is by Cormac McCarthy
    Of course you're right, Lawrie ........ On the Road by Jack Kerouac is the one I've read.
    Sorry to confuse the two.

• Options
    Don Quixote was a challenge, but I finished it. Read 10 pages of Cormac McCarthy's All the Pretty Horses and could go no further - picked it up again a few years later and got into it - loved it in the end. American Psycho must be the only book I've started but not finished.
  • Options
    Agree with you about Voss. I struggled through it and by the end I wish I hadn't bothered.

I really enjoyed Catch 22, although I was at school at the time, so I am not sure how I would feel about it now.

I started to read another of Heller's books, Closing Time, because of good reviews. I just found it boring and gave up before halfway.
  • Options

Solsinichen---Cancer Ward

it aint a blast

Solzhenitsyn was just so over-rated. It suited the West at the time of the Cold War to promote a Russian who was critical of the Soviet system. That was as far as it went. He must go down as one of the most bought and least read writers in history.

• Options
    Went travelling for a year and burned my way through shamtaram and war an peace. Not sure idve finished them otherwise. Often run out of steam, but glad i dragged myself over the line reading fingersmith by Sarah waters. Excellent.

Couldn't finish The God Delusion by Richard dawkins. I love his science books and I'm a militant atheist, but this book pissed me off. Smug as hell.
  • Options

Solsinichen---Cancer Ward

it aint a blast

Solzhenitsyn was just so over-rated. It suited the West at the time of the Cold War to promote a Russian who was critical of the Soviet system. That was as far as it went. He must go down as one of the most bought and least read writers in history.

August 1914 and A day in the life of Ivan Denisovitch are very readable, but that might depend on the quality of the translation.
  • Options
    And Cancer Ward is very allegorical.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Bible, every now and then I pick it up thinking there must be some useful bits of wisdom hidden in here somewhere, but never get very far......
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Struggled through the Corner and just at the end now.

Find it hard to be fully sympathetic to all the characters as they are consciouly aware of how they are feckin up every day and there seems to be a strong element of the world owes me a living.

Not being raised and surrounded by heroin addicts in West Baltimore probably doesn't give me a platform to be judgemental but there are people who live through/ have lived through much more destitute and hopeless situations and still make something out of themselves without the same level of patheticness and self destruction.

Cant get my head round the mindset of letting your kids go hungry but ensuring you have designer clothes and enough heroin to get you through the day. All the government and society's fault apparently.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

thenewbie said:

MrOneLung said:

The author was American but the writing style was very stacatto with very short sentences.

Really bugging me now.

The Road?

Really loved that book!

Kerouac is On The Road

Of course you're right, Lawrie ........ On the Road by Jack Kerouac is the one I've read.

Do read some of the Cormac McCarthy books, Oggy - "All the pretty horses" and the rest of the Border Trilogy (as well as "The Road") are amazing, and genuinely powerful.

Anyway back to the awful ones.

Pretty much everything by Martin Amis. Haven't finished one yet. Slogged on with "Money" to about page 250 on the advice of a friend and then gave up. And he ended up shagging my ex now I come to think of it so his judgement was flawed.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

I really enjoyed Catch 22, although I was at school at the time, so I am not sure how I would feel about it now.

I started to read another of Heller's books, Closing Time, because of good reviews. I just found it boring and gave up before halfway.

I was working at Waterstone's Trafalgar Square when Closing Time was released. Joseph Heller was in to promote it and was the nicest, most humble famous person
    I've ever met. He's also the famous person I'm most pleased to have met.
    You're right though, Closing Time was not good, unfortunately.
  • Options
    God I miss that shop...
  • Options
    Given up on too many to mention.
    Add me to those who gave up on Catch 22.

Been meaning to read The Naked Lunch for years - bought it a month or so back and binned it about a quarter of the way through
  • Options
    F*** yes. All the teens buy it thinking it's gonna be a hip drug fest.
  • Options

F*** yes. All the teens buy it thinking it's gonna be a hip drug fest.

Haha -it probably was 60 years ago :-)
  • Options
    I'd read some of Clive James "postcard" travel books and thoroughly enjoyed them, and I picked up a novel he wrote at an airport. I think I had given up on it by the time the seatbelt sign went off!
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

thenewbie said:

MrOneLung said:

Really bugging me now.

The Road?

Really loved that book!

Kerouac is On The Road

Do read some of the Cormac McCarthy books, Oggy - "All the pretty horses" and the rest of the Border Trilogy (as well as "The Road") are amazing, and genuinely powerful.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Mr Ticket - sounds a good one.
    I've got a few unread books waiting their turn, but I'll look out for them when I'm ready.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "We need to talk about Kevin"
    Utter shite
    Have been reading "On the road" for months can't get into it
  • Options

Utter shite

I read this as a young(er lol) man and loved it, really affected my way of thinking .. tried to re-read it last year and just could no longer relate to it .. same with 'The Dice Man', 'Steppenwolf', 'The Glass Bead Game', and a lot of all those essential hippy standard texts ..
  • Options
    I read On the Road only last year, Lincs - but then I'm a lot younger than you.

;o)
  • Options
    Moby Dick didn't bother to finish it.
    Always struggled with Virginia Wolff 'The Years' springs to mind.
    Loved War & Peace.
    Catcher in the Rye was new 'stream of conciousness' type of writing in its heyday, which appealed to many. Didn't appeal to me either.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I read On the Road only last year, Lincs - but then I'm a lot younger than you.

;o)

lol .. hope you enjoyed it, it IS a 'book for young men'
  • Options

Utter shite

I read this as a young(er lol) man and loved it, really affected my way of thinking .. tried to re-read it last year and just could no longer relate to it .. same with 'The Dice Man', 'Steppenwolf', 'The Glass Bead Game', and a lot of all those essential hippy standard texts ..
    I read The Dice Man at Uni and loved it, but I wouldn't go near it now. There is a chance I may have grown up in the last thirty odd years and no longer find the rather heavy-handed jokes that funny.
  • Options
    As an adult I have finished every book I have ever started. Don't ask me why but I just can't seem to opt out once I've started. Amuses/annoys my missus to hear me moaning about a book that I struggle through to the end of when if she doesn't like something she's reading she'll bin it or skim read it in half an hour. Completely stupid I know but I don't like to feel beaten I suppose. It does mean that I have to be a bit fussy about which books I start and often end up reading from a smaller pool of authors that I can rely on to deliver.

I'm the same with PS3 games too!
  • Options
    Paula Radcliffe's autobiography....got the s&its half way through
  • Options
    Oxford English Dictionary, only God knows why it's popular! Couldn't get past the first page... ;-)
  • Options
    Catch 22 is not only a brilliant book it has given a phrase that everyone (most) understands even though they might not know its origin. I loathed The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho. I read it hoping that I could like something in it but came to the conclusion that it was shite and pretentious shite at that. Emperor's new clothes and all that. Has anyone actually finished A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking? Apparently it is the most unfinished-read book BUT looks great on a coffee table!