Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Overrated Managers

Comments

• Options

No way is Wenger overrated.

How well has he done the last 8 years though?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    MrOneLung said:

No way is Wenger overrated.

How well has he done the last 8 years though?
    I think him and Arsenals relationship ended a while ago, but that doesnt make him 'overrated'.

He's achieved some great things at Arsenal and got them playing some brilliant football along the way. He turned Thierry Henry into an unwanted left winger at Juve into the worlds best footballer. He found some bargains in the transfer market with players like Petit, Viera, RVP. Went an entire Prem season unbeaten which is ridiculous when you think about it, and reached a couple of Champs league finals.

Granted he seems to be 'losing it' and a change of scenery will probably do him well, but in no way is he 'overrated'. In fact because of his recent record with Arsenal he might have to do a fair bit of searching to find another job at a 'major' club in Europe if he was to leave.
  • Options
    Martin O'Neil.
  • Options
    Gary Megson
  • Options
    Alan Curbishley. Never got us above mid table in the Premiership, let Parker go when he should have kept him, made some terrible signings, hasn't had a job since West Ham got rid, was he really ever all that?

(Just kidding.)
  • Options

cafctom said:

Lee Clark without a doubt.

Definitely James Corden, sorry I mean Karl Robinson.

Roberto Martinez - Linked with every Premier League job going when it comes available all because "he has done it with Wigan on a shoestring. Imagine what he could do with a lot of money!!!"....Doesn't work like that. The pressure of avoiding relegation and the pressure of delivering trophies are very different things.

Michael Laudrup - I actually like him and think he is a good manager, however the very evening that he won the League Cup the media and supporters of big clubs were trying to shoehorn him into the likes of Chelsea, Real Madrid etc.

Martinez is class. The fact that he DOES keep them up every year when they're the smallest and least attractive club (bar maybe QPR-har-har) makes him a very good manager indeed. Certainly not overrated.
    I didn't say he wasn't a very good manager did I?

All I said that there was a lot of unfounded desire for him to be a great fit for one of the top clubs (the likes of Liverpool who have previously been interested), as it is a completely different animal altogether.
  • Options
    Kevin Keegan
  • Options
    Rafa
    David Jones
    Gary Megson
    Alan Pardew
  • Options
    Gordon Brittas
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Kevin Keegan, Sven Goran Eriksson, Lee Clark, Gus Poyet, Paul Jewell, Owen Coyle, Alan Pardew.

Pep Guardiola has a lot to prove in my book.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Martin O'Neil.

this as well as:
    Nigel Pearson
    Alex McLeish
    Mark Hughes

and in days of old: Keegan, Ball, Reid, Taylor (do I not like that) and Hoddle as well as Souness .. (who else can I think of?)

VERY underrated: Steve Clarke
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Roberto Martinez - Linked with every Premier League job going when it comes available all because "he has done it with Wigan on a shoestring. Imagine what he could do with a lot of money!!!"....Doesn't work like that. The pressure of avoiding relegation and the pressure of delivering trophies are very different things.

Michael Laudrup - I actually like him and think he is a good manager, however the very evening that he won the League Cup the media and supporters of big clubs were trying to shoehorn him into the likes of Chelsea, Real Madrid etc.

Martinez is class. The fact that he DOES keep them up every year when they're the smallest and least attractive club (bar maybe QPR-har-har) makes him a very good manager indeed. Certainly not overrated.

All I said that there was a lot of unfounded desire for him to be a great fit for one of the top clubs (the likes of Liverpool who have previously been interested), as it is a completely different animal altogether.
    Surely managers who've done well at big clubs will still be in a job though, so you have the choice of a failed manager from another big club or an up and coming one with a good track record at a smaller club? Know which I'd choose and I think Martinez has every right to be talked about for big jobs.
  • Options
    Brian McDermott
  • Options
    Gordon Strachan
  • Options
    Clark, Robinson and jewell would def be on my list. O'neill is a bit harsh, that said no "big" clubs have ever taken a punt on him so maybe he is overrated.
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Redknapp.

This. If there was a "pounds spent per trophy" league he' d be top of that, and it's the only thing he will ever be top of.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

I didn't say you didn't say he wasn't either. I just said he was. And he is.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Chris Houghton - UNDERRATED
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Surely managers who've done well at big clubs will still be in a job though, so you have the choice of a failed manager from another big club or an up and coming one with a good track record at a smaller club? Know which I'd choose and I think Martinez has every right to be talked about for big jobs.
    Totally agree with this. Think Martinez is an excellent manager. Swansea fans said he was the one who planted the seed for the club to be playing how they are now and Rodgers took it over without having to change much. Hope his next club gives him the time and backing that Wigan have.
  • Options
    Sorry, I win.

Howard Wilkinson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Lee Clarke, couldnt get hudders up with a massive budget.
    Made his name through a run of draws last season, a run we stopped.

Lee Clarke has under achieved at Birmingham a club who's fans expect to be in at least a Chapionshiop play-off place.

He started Huddersfield on their way to getting promoted but they had money. I reckon Clarke will get sacked by Birmingham. After that I think he needs to take over at League 1 club with no money where he will need to wheel and deal. It will then show what a good manager he really is.
  • Options

Lee Clarke, couldnt get hudders up with a massive budget.
    Made his name through a run of draws last season, a run we stopped.

Lee Clarke has under achieved at Birmingham a club who's fans expect to be in at least a Chapionshiop play-off place.

He started Huddersfield on their way to getting promoted but they had money. I reckon Clarke will get sacked by Birmingham. After that I think he needs to take over at League 1 club with no money where he will need to wheel and deal. It will then show what a good manager he really is.
    I'm not sure he has underachieved at Birmingham, a club with massive money problems. Mid table mediocrity for them this season will be a good result
  • Options
    what about Steve Mclaren he might have been a good coach at united but as a manager is very overated. A manager I have changed my opinion of is Mick Macarthy he seems to have turned Ipswich round and when he is interviewed on anglia news he is straight talking and does not sprout out any bullshit I wonder if the wolves chairman now regrets his sacking.
  • Options
    Chris Powell
  • Options

RedPanda said:

Redknapp.

This. If there was a "pounds spent per trophy" league he' d be top of that, and it's the only thing he will ever be top of.
    Agreed...deserves to go down at least once this season!!
  • Options
    BIG_ROB said:

Chris Houghton - UNDERRATED

Fantastic move by Norwich to replace Lambert with Houghton.
  • Options
    Roy Keane
    Mark Hughes
    Martin O`Neil
    Harry Houdini
    Steve McClaren
  • Options
    How can anyone say Shteves McLarens is overrated? Everyone thinks he's crap.

Don't agree about Martin O'Neill - granted he's not doing a great job at Sunderland but I think he's been a success everywhere else he's managed (except Norwich).
  • Options
    Curbs
  • Options

How can anyone say Shteves McLarens is overrated? Everyone thinks he's crap.

Don't agree about Martin O'Neill - granted he's not doing a great job at Sunderland but I think he's been a success everywhere else he's managed (except Norwich).

Didnt McLaren do a good job at Twente?

Thats a serious question btw as my knowledge of the dutch league and his time there is next to nothing.