Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Mail

Got a postcard with rest of my mail from the post office this morning, which advised me a letter could not be delivered as the sender underpaid postage by 09 pence, this and a £1.00 handling fee had to be paid before item could be delivered. I rang and asked why postman did not knock and collect the money was told they were not allowed to do so? I then debated with them as to the sense of situation and the costs involved, they insisted it was the system they had adopted and it had to be dealt with this way, I paid the £1.09 on my debit card and was told it would be delivered in 48 hours. It is little suprise that they are in so much financial difficulties. Rant over!!

Comments

• Options
    I had to do this for 1p. Yes, seriously 1p. (so it cost me £1.01).
  • Options
    I would love to know how much it costs them
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    When i was a postie back in the mists of time we used to collect the money for underpaid items from customers but not before we had paid for them first....i used to hate taking out "charges".

If the customer didn't want to pay for the item it got sent back with "refused" stamped all over it and i got my cash back.
  • Options
    They are bastards.

Cards with flowers and badges count as large rather than small letters so people get stuffed that way especially at times like Mothers' Day.
  • Options
    I agree they are a joke. I recently sent a signed or item which they lost. I complained about it and then had to enquire why they hadn't responded to my complaint-apparently they'd lost that too!
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    It was 'always said' that not stamping a letter was better insurance for safe delivery than Registered or Recorded mail. This seems to prove the point
  • Options
    I run an internet book business, and I must say that of the approx. 10,000 items I've sent out, only around 10 have been 'lost in the post'. For what it's worth I am very careful to write the door number and postcode as neatly as possible on all my packages, in fairly large writing.

• Options
    The introduction of size-based pricing has caused so many problems for so many mail users - it's more expensive to send a 'flat A4' envelope ('large letter') than to fold an A4 sheet to fit into a C5 or 'DL' (ordinary letter-size) envelope. Many people don't realise this and simply stick a '1st class' stamp on - which results in a surcharge and admin fee. I ran mailrooms for large London companies for 30 years - fortunately I retired in 2006, just before weight-based pricing was discontinued and the 'size' thing was brought in. I wonder how much it cost Royal Mail to manufacture thousands of cardboard 'slots' as sent out to Post Offices to check whether an item is a 'large letter' or a 'small packet'?! Confused? Yep!!
  • Options
    When I worked in the City (facillities) this went on all the time...bloody ridiculous situation.
  • Options
    All our wedding invited went out with the wrong postage (had a raised heart in the middle... awwww... bleurgh!) Most of the posties in Scotland delivered them anyway (in places like Govan... probably safer), a few other places. Otherwise, we saw it as an endurance test to the elderly relatives we didn't want to invite but had to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Expect various packages (from Amazon) to arrive over the next few days. A royal mail post van pulls up outside and he is carrying two packages (one clearly labelled amazon). He then goes to a house a few doors down and I think nothing more about it - not our packages.

Five minutes later the neighbour (who we don't really know) knocks on our door with a package clearly addressed for my house!
  • Options
    To be honest, I know Royal Mail aren't perfect, but I've had far fewer problems with them than I have with the various courier companies. Have been expecting a bunch of stuff to arrive on next day delivery today - the Royal Mail stuff arrived no problem, UPS only had 1 of the 2 packages they were supposed to have and Yodel still haven't turned up. Quite frankly I'd happily pay extra on postage if suppliers gave me the option to choose not to use certain companies for urgent deliveries.
  • Options
    Our post lady is brilliant, goes out of her way to help. It's not royal mail but the individual (like so many businesses).
  • Options
    as i am currently employed as a postman working in se london believe me guys there are a lot of poorer delivery companys out there and no im not sticking up for royal mail as an avid ebay user i only now use small packets - royal mail and larger packets - hermes where i can take it to a local shop every one has there own opinion - only thing i would say is please put a return address on the back of your items as you would not believe the amount of items that dont get delivered then returned to the office and then not claimed and after 3 weeks are sent off to be destroyed or sold on
  • Options
    I did 2 days work for Yodel around the middle of Dec and I was delivering parcels that were 3 weeks late!
  • Options
    I sent my passport application to the passport office in Cardiff by Special Delivery before 1pm the next day. I tracked the item it was not delivered until 8am the day after, I complained to Royal Mail, today I have recieved a letter of apology plus a full refund (£5.90).
  • Options
    Just had a reminder that the local sorting office has a package for me...they give you 18 calender days to pick it up, so I have to go there tomorrow, trouble is I never got the first slip telling me that they couldn't deliver on the first date.
  • Options
    I hate postmen. Used to train my dog to bite the little gits. I even managed to train a cat to attack them and used to video it. There's a betting shop near Mount Pleasant full of the little creeps. I hate them more than jockeys.
  • Options
    masicat said:

I hate postmen. Used to train my dog to bite the little gits. I even managed to train a cat to attack them and used to video it. There's a betting shop near Mount Pleasant full of the little creeps. I hate them more than jockeys.

Our postman is a great bloke. Always got a smile on his face, friendly and helpful.

• Options
    masicat said:

But do you hate them more than Edmondson?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

as i am currently employed as a postman working in se london believe me guys there are a lot of poorer delivery companys out there and no im not sticking up for royal mail as an avid ebay user i only now use small packets - royal mail and larger packets - hermes where i can take it to a local shop every one has there own opinion - only thing i would say is please put a return address on the back of your items as you would not believe the amount of items that dont get delivered then returned to the office and then not claimed and after 3 weeks are sent off to be destroyed or sold on

Punctuation, capitalisation and sentences are your friends.
  • Options
    Our postie is a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    My postman is a typical scum fan ( he does'nt go to watch them).
  • Options
    And he drops rubber bands on my drive.
  • Options
    QPR fella, my postie (been S/T holder for 20 years).
  • Options
    edited March 2013

And he drops rubber bands on my drive.

Mine did that. Until I wrapped them round the latch of the gate. He got the message.

• Options
    We had a temporary postie who kept leaving the gate open so the wife let Bailey out, he calmly followed the postie to next door and sat at the gate waiting for him to turn around. The Postie climbed the wall rather than walk back past him. Gate always closed now so no chance of Bailey escaping again. Job done ;)
  • Options
    Yodel delivered two packages to my house today. One was thrown over our side gate into my garden. Didn't mind as it only contained books. The second wasn't for us and the delivery man realizing his mistake put a card through asking us to deliver to the correct address. Unfortunately one of my dogs likes destroying anything put through the letterbox and has duly chomped her way through the packaging for some fancy undergarments!
  • Options
    My postman has Dyslexia, either that or he thinks it is ok drop off letters for others at my house.
  • Options
    Had a package delivered by DPD the other week. Waited in all day for it, checking the tracking website. At 5:35 I checked (it was due between 4:45 and 5:45 the system had narrowed it down to) and it said delivered at 5:21 and signed for by me. So I ring DPD, driver not answering phone and not back at depot yet, so can't find out what happened.

Rang back next morning, package was delivered to Whitehill Rd, not Whitehill Lane. They can see on the GPS that it was delivered to the wrong address, but the driver obviously couldn't use GPS, and didn't mind entering incorrect data into the system about who signed. I drove down to the house and collected the package myself. This happens every now and then as Whitehill Road and Whitehill Lane are connected, but if they can see from the GPS in the call centre that it was delivered to the wrong place how did the driver screw up. And I never got a satisfactory answer about the system thinking I had signed for it. It can't have been a genuine mistake unless I'm easily confused for a woman in her late 50s.