Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wigan vs Newcastle

2»

Comments

• Options
    The thing that made me laugh was Whelan and Martinez saying "he's not that type of player", then it turns out he received a straght red in a reserve match last year for a bad tackle on a Man City player who had to be stretchered off as a result
  • Options
    What an absolutely spineless decision by the FA.
  • Options
    so, no ban at all?

wonder what Whelan would have said if it was say, Tiote on Kone?
  • Options

The thing that made me laugh was Whelan and Martinez saying "he's not that type of player", then it turns out he received a straght red in a reserve match last year for a bad tackle on a Man City player who had to be stretchered off as a result

2 bad tackles over a year apart...does that make him 'that kind of player'?

I'm not trying to defend the tackle though.

• Options

Whelan, the owner of Wigan has lost a great deal of credibility in my eyes. On the radio he defended McManaman: to whit: 'a great lad with not a bad bone in his body .. he went for the ball and won it, he didn't go over the ball and it was a complete accident' (an accurate paraphrase).
    Dave Whelan, we know you are an old bloke and have rose coloured and obviously out of focus glasses .. you are TOTALLY wrong here old boy, and I suspect that your comments heard by your mates at the FA have got your player off the hook. Well done for sticking up for the 'boy', but long term you have done damage to 'the game' as a whole.

It's the "and won it" bit that makes him look a fool. Agree with him that McManaman went for the ball (I mean, why wouldn't he?) but then totally fooked it up. Slightest touch of the ball is obviously not winning it. Unbelievable that no further action will be taken.
  • Options
    Newcastle statement:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130319/newcastle-united-statement_2281670_3115111

Claims the current rules aren't fit for purpose.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="SELR_addicks">Newcastle statement:

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130319/newcastle-united-statement_2281670_3115111

Claims the current rules aren't fit for purpose. </blockquote>

Fair play.
    I'd be fuming if we had one of our lads take a 'challenge' like that and the culprit walk off away with any punishment.
  • Options

2 bad tackles over a year apart...does that make him 'that kind of player'?

I'm not trying to defend the tackle though.

Well i'm not saying it makes him a psycho but 2 bad tackles that have caused two players to be stretchered off injured hardly suggests he's Matt Holland does it?
  • Options
    Not one manager has ever said 'Yep, he's a maniac, in training he goes around trying to amputate his team-mates legs, he's exactly that kind of player'... but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If he meant it, he should be banned by the FA, if he didn't, that is essentially incompetence in a footballer, you should NOT fuck up a challenge like that. Accidents happen, but that was just malicious.
  • Options
    Being generous you'd say it was a grossly incompetent tackle rather than malicious. Especially as he's a lightweight attacking player too.

The rules on retrospective action are daft though. The referee genuinely didn't see it, but because the assistant saw it and at the time decided no action was needed, the FA aren't able to reverse the decision even if the referee wanted to!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The FA are a joke.

This bloke gets away with a shocking tackle, whereas Zaha gets a one game ban and a 3k fine for sticking his finger up at some Leeds fans.

• Options
    This decision makes a mockery of the FA's rules - they have to change them.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Had hoped Wigan would stay up as have always considered Martinez and Whelan for that matter as decent people. Couldn't give a damn now whether they stay up or not after their attitude. Sure stick up for your players/ club but they've trivialised this whole incident.
  • Options
    Agreed, the FA are a joke sometimes. Ridiculous decision in the cold light of day and having seen the replays. Makes you wonder sometimes doesn't it.
  • Options
    They should have had our lino that we had when Yann got sent off. !!
  • Options
    Wonder if there would've been 'no retrospective action taken' if that tackle had been committed by Joey Barton