Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parking ticket

Got a parking ticket yesterday for overstaying in a four hour bay . The thing is it says on the ticket "time vehicle first seen 14.02 , time ticket issued 140.03"

Surely the first time should be more than four hours before the time the ticket is issued?

Comments

• All the ticket shows is that you was parked for one minute. Go and get the ticket over turned
  • I've appealed it so hopefully it will be.
  • If the ticket you bought starts after 11:03am you'll be laughing.

What council was it?
  • Is it a council one or a private company?
  • If the council turns your appeal down, then appeal further to the Parking & Traffic Appeals Service (if ticket issued in London) and the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (if ticket issued outside of London). On the face of it, I'd be amazed if those organisations didn't uphold your appeal if the council doesn't.
  • buckshee said:

Got a parking ticket yesterday for overstaying in a four hour bay . The thing is it says on the ticket "time vehicle first seen 14.02 , time ticket issued 140.03"

Surely the first time should be more than four hours before the time the ticket is issued?

Not surprised you got a ticket mate if you parked there for 126 hours.
  • If the council turns your appeal down, then appeal further to the Parking & Traffic Appeals Service (if ticket issued in London) and the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (if ticket issued outside of London). On the face of it, I'd be amazed if those organisations didn't uphold your appeal if the council doesn't.

Don't place too much faith in these bodies. My wife got ticketed at Bluewater, for 'failing to display a valid disabled badge' (her mother's, who she WAS with at the time)
    The badge was valid, but had inadvertantly been placed upside down. A simple error when trying to cope with an elderly person with physical difficulties and dementia.
    The adjuticator accepted the badge was valid contrary to the ticketing companies claim, but upheld the ticket anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Daggs said:

If the council turns your appeal down, then appeal further to the Parking & Traffic Appeals Service (if ticket issued in London) and the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (if ticket issued outside of London). On the face of it, I'd be amazed if those organisations didn't uphold your appeal if the council doesn't.

Don't place too much faith in these bodies. My wife got ticketed at Bluewater, for 'failing to display a valid disabled badge' (her mother's, who she WAS with at the time)
    The badge was valid, but had inadvertantly been placed upside down. A simple error when trying to cope with an elderly person with physical difficulties and dementia.
    The adjuticator accepted the badge was valid contrary to the ticketing companies claim, but upheld the ticket anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I, on the other hand, got a ticket at Bexleyheath Cinema for not properly displaying a Disabled Badge, which was actually true as the owner of said badge only had one part of it, not both. I appealed anyway and sent a copy of both parts of the badge and the ticket was cancelled. Might have had something to do with the suggestion of discrimination that I casually implied in my covering letter!

• Assuming it's a Council ticket, I would appeal. There is no harm in doing so, and plenty of tickets have been overturned because they have been incorrectly issued.

If it's a private ticket (NCP, APCOA, etc.) I would ignore it. It will go away.
  • It would seem to be pot-luck then.......................
  • Sponsored links:

• It was a council ticket , in a bay which from 8am to 6pm is free for max if four hours.
  • how long were you parked there?
  • edited March 2013
    I once got a ticket for parking for 30 mins in a bay in Streatham that they insisted was a disabled space. I wrote and replied that it wasn't and they basically said, 'Oh, all right. Our mistake,' and overturned the fine. I found out a few days later that it actually was a disabled space! So that's a long and frankly boring way of saying I'd contest it.
  • hawksmoor said:

I once got a ticket for parking for 30 mins in a bay in Streatham that they insisted was a disabled space. I wrote and replied that it wasn't and they basically said, 'Oh, all right. Our mistake,' and overturned the fine. I found out a few days later that it actually was a disabled space! So that's a long and frankly boring way of saying I'd contest it.

i hope that when you realised your mistake you contacted them and had your error rectified?

Quite !

Methinks Buckshee is using words of politicians/police/CAFC ... delete as appropriate.

Quite !

Methinks Buckshee is using words of politicians/police/CAFC ... delete as appropriate.

I did not have sexual relations with that woman ;)

• Be careful how you appeal.
    If your reading of the signage is correct, the ground for the appeal should be that the vehicle was first seen by the parking attendant at 14:02.
    That you had parked the car only one minute earlier ;-)
    So three hours 59 minutes after you had parked the car, it was outside the controlled parking period. So there was no parking infringement.

Having read about a number of parking appeals on pistonheads, I'd suggest not pushing the mistake on the ticket as the adjudicator is likely to say something along the lines of: "the parking attendant's copies of the tickets issued just before and just after yours show the approximate timing of the ticket being issued to you as being XX o'clock . It is clear that there was human error in the writing out of the details on the ticket. Nonetheless, there was actually a breach of the parking prohibition and the fine stands."
  • The thing is if he first saw my car at 14.02 and issued the ticket at 14.03 then how does he know how long I was there?
  • Can't have been Saturday, you weren't in the area for 4 hours.
  • buckshee said:

The thing is if he first saw my car at 14.02 and issued the ticket at 14.03 then how does he know how long I was there?

Exactly, and that should be the basis of your appeal. Ignore any other factors.

• Sponsored links:

• How would you know , you didn't get out of bed yourself until nearly midday.
  • cafcfan said:

Be careful how you appeal.
    If your reading of the signage is correct, the ground for the appeal should be that the vehicle was first seen by the parking attendant at 14:02.
    That you had parked the car only one minute earlier ;-)
    So three hours 59 minutes after you had parked the car, it was outside the controlled parking period. So there was no parking infringement.

Having read about a number of parking appeals on pistonheads, I'd suggest not pushing the mistake on the ticket as the adjudicator is likely to say something along the lines of: "the parking attendant's copies of the tickets issued just before and just after yours show the approximate timing of the ticket being issued to you as being XX o'clock . It is clear that there was human error in the writing out of the details on the ticket. Nonetheless, there was actually a breach of the parking prohibition and the fine stands."

I would strongly advise against telling any fibs in the appeal, as this could probably get you into serious trouble later on. Just state the facts you want to, and leave out the ones you don't! I would appeal on the basis that the Council has not provided any evidence that a contravention has occurred. You are under no obligation to tell them when you actually parked - it is for them to prove that it was more than 4 hours.
  • Shouldn't have kept me there should you!
  • hawksmoor said:

i hope that when you realised your mistake you contacted them and had your error rectified?
    Errrrr. Yes. Yes I did.

• buckshee said:

The thing is if he first saw my car at 14.02 and issued the ticket at 14.03 then how does he know how long I was there?

He first saw at 14.02 that you'd been parked for more than 4 hours. He issued the ticket at 14.03.
    Guilty as charged. Send him down :-)
  • hawksmoor said:

hawksmoor said:

Errrrr. Yes. Yes I did.

thank god for that, i'd hate to think we had a ticket dodging element in our fan base.....
  • buckshee said:

how long were you parked there?

Quite !

I did not have sexual relations with that woman ;)

Don't pay it then!

; )
  • Why didn't you just use your mum's blue badge like you usually do?
  • 1. Any error on a parking ticket makes it invalid.
    2. Never tell lies.
  • Sorry about resurrecting an old thread. Apologies too if there was another more appropriate one.

Anyway, Beavis lost his case against Parking Eye in the Supreme Court, which made its judgement today. (4/11/2015)

So, a bad day for people that like free parking on private land.
    But a good day for the likes of Parking Eye who will no doubt be raking in lots more dosh from now on.
    (Following this ruling, all the Parking Eye appeal cases in abeyance with POPLA will presumably now be kick-started with the motorist having less chance of success.)

Full ruling and press release here, if you are so-inclined. https://supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2015-0116.html