Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Michael Owen Retires

Great player who has been hampered by injuries over the last few years. Glad to see him retiring now before he does permanent damage to himself. Will like to remember the young goal scoring machine rather than the injury hit version. Enjoy your horse racing Michael.

Comments

• Probably went on 2 years too long anyway.

Great player back in the day though, one of the best English strikers i will ever see in my lifetime.
  • The next Mick Channon
  • Great player - shame about the injuries. Nice guy too - total opposite of most of the up-their-own-arse footballers of today.
    Wish him well.
  • Always comes across as a bit of a tit in my book.

• Well done, hes 13
  • Tithead !
    Good Goal against Argentina , thoe i'll give the lad that !
    But can't stand him
  • Cracking player in his time and a great player for England.

Comes across as fairly normal to me. People call him dull so what, not everyone can be a "character".
  • Sorry, I see Owen responding to a cocky, smart arse tweet from the squaddie and then said squaddie playing the indignant "higher ground" card, even though Owen had no way of knowing he was in the armed services. And he still couldn't resist being cocky with the reference to Owen's injury problems in his response.

A bit like one of those fans who gives a player dogs abuse from the stands and then goes crying to the police when the player gives some back.
  • A Legend. One of the great English strikers and a thoroughly decent bloke to boot. Never engulfed in scandals etc and always played football the right way.

Plus left us all with some fantastic memories (98, and Germany 5-1 to name 2!)
  • Sorry, I see Owen responding to a cocky, smart arse tweet from the squaddie and then said squaddie playing the indignant "higher ground" card, even though Owen had no way of knowing he was in the armed services. And he still couldn't resist being cocky with the reference to Owen's injury problems in his response.

A bit like one of those fans who gives a player dogs abuse from the stands and then goes crying to the police when the player gives some back.

You on twitter ?
  • Sponsored links:

This.

Fantastic player in his prime. Would have gone on to be England's greatest ever striker had he managed to avoid the injuries.
  • I am convinced he was never managed properly. To much football at such a young age. Sixteen I believe.

You on twitter ?
    No I'm not mate. Would Owen have known he was a squaddie then?

This 2
  • Seems to have a brain too. I just read his statement announcing his retirement. He thanked his parents, his family, sponsors etc. It sounded really sincere.

He's about the same age as me, so freaks me out a bit that he's retiring. I get to retire in 2047.
  • Great player, great bloke. Sad his hamstrings didn't last.
    Just hope he retires or goes into management/coaching. But I'm sure a future pundetary job awaits at the BBC.

• One of my favourite players and a great striker. Always scored when his team needed a goal not when they were already 3-0 up .

Will never forget that goal against Argentina.

Exactly.

Some of the dogs abuse players get on Twitter and as soon as they give a bit back they are seen as 'cocky' or 'arrogant'

Owen was a superb player in his prime, its just a shame his prime was when he was still developing!
  • Yes its a shame that this thread which should be about his career has to be hijacked by some knob on twitter.

You on twitter ?
    Noo not at all.
    It's not just in this case, he comes across as arrogant on it, and couldn't give a toss about anyone else, except his little horses and his big fat cheque at the end of the week .
    Money grabbing pig !
  • Sponsored links:

You on twitter ?
    Noo not at all.
    It's not just in this case, he comes across as arrogant on it, and couldn't give a toss about anyone else, except his little horses and his big fat cheque at the end of the week .
    Money grabbing pig !
    What a load of b*llocks.

You on twitter ?
    Noo not at all.
    Money grabbing pig !
    Ah, I see. Fairy snuff, I was just judging on that particular tweet. Probably not the best example I guess?

You on twitter ?
    Noo not at all.
    Money grabbing pig !
    Bollx - its the squaddie whos come over arrogant.
  • I was at Selhurst when Owen made his debut (went with family who are Liverpool fans, and it was against Wimbledon in case anyone freaks out!) and it was clear from his first touch - and subsequent goal - that he was going to be special. First he had the pace, then the killer instinct. If it wasn't for injuries he'd be far and away England's highest goal scorer

You on twitter ?
    Noo not at all.
    Money grabbing pig !
    What a load of b*llocks.
    Seconded. Honestly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hPC6Yv3BPVY
  • sign him up, im sure we'd be happy to give him another seasons money

You on twitter ?
    Noo not at all.
    Money grabbing pig !
    Bollx - its the squaddie whos come over arrogant.
    Noo i know that Owen had no idea he was a squaddie, and the squaddie probably does come over arrogant , but you need to read the whole script, and read some of his tweets , IMO may not be everyone elses, but i just think he is a tit, and what has he really done since moving to madrid ?

You on twitter ?
    Noo not at all.
    Money grabbing pig !
    Absolute bollocks. I follow Owen on twitter, and yes he's responded to a few trolls in his time. That doesn't make him arrogant, that makes him normal. If someone started having a go at you for achieving nothing in your life would you not respond with some of your achievements? That's what Owen does and it just so happens that his achievements are rather more substantial than others so idiots think he's being arrogant.

He always responds to fans questions, often gives intelligent insight on football, and other sports and comes across as a very decent and normal bloke.
  • Always remember that goal v Argentina, the Moon & Sixpence in Welling went absolutely mental!
  • Thought the sqaddie was just putting football in some sort of perspective?