Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Owen Retires

Comments

• Options

Thought the sqaddie was just putting football in some sort of perspective?

For what reason though? Just to big himself up by the sounds of it.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Curb_It"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="ValleyGary"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="AdTheAddicK"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="Algarveaddick"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="AdTheAddicK"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="Algarveaddick">Sorry, I see Owen responding to a cocky, smart arse tweet from the squaddie and then said squaddie playing the indignant "higher ground" card, even though Owen had no way of knowing he was in the armed services. And he still couldn't resist being cocky with the reference to Owen's injury problems in his response.

A bit like one of those fans who gives a player dogs abuse from the stands and then goes crying to the police when the player gives some back. </blockquote>

You on twitter ? </blockquote>

No I'm not mate. Would Owen have known he was a squaddie then? </blockquote>
    Noo not at all.
    It's not just in this case, he comes across as arrogant on it, and couldn't give a toss about anyone else, except his little horses and his big fat cheque at the end of the week .
    Money grabbing pig ! </blockquote>

What a load of b*llocks.</blockquote>

Seconded. Honestly...
    </blockquote>

Thirded. Top bloke. And yes, I do follow him on Twitter
  • Options

Sorry, I see Owen responding to a cocky, smart arse tweet from the squaddie and then said squaddie playing the indignant "higher ground" card, even though Owen had no way of knowing he was in the armed services. And he still couldn't resist being cocky with the reference to Owen's injury problems in his response.

A bit like one of those fans who gives a player dogs abuse from the stands and then goes crying to the police when the player gives some back.

You on twitter ?
    No I'm not mate. Would Owen have known he was a squaddie then?
    Noo not at all.
    It's not just in this case, he comes across as arrogant on it, and couldn't give a toss about anyone else, except his little horses and his big fat cheque at the end of the week .
    Money grabbing pig !
    Absolute bollocks. I follow Owen on twitter, and yes he's responded to a few trolls in his time. That doesn't make him arrogant, that makes him normal. If someone started having a go at you for achieving nothing in your life would you not respond with some of your achievements? That's what Owen does and it just so happens that his achievements are rather more substantial than others so idiots think he's being arrogant.

He always responds to fans questions, often gives intelligent insight on football, and other sports and comes across as a very decent and normal bloke.
    Thats Bollocks !
    But hey........Your opinion !
  • Options

Thought the sqaddie was just putting football in some sort of perspective?

It appears to me that the original tweet, which we conveniently don't get to see, asked if Owen played football. That is being a smart arse in my opinion.

• Options
    I personally didn't think his technique was that good. He was clearly gifted with pace and a knack for scoring goals but he didn't have a great deal of what you could say footballing skill. He was very good at what he did - scoring goals - but not a lot else football-wise.

Not exactly the life and soul of the party and maybe a little bland but he is ridiculously wealthy now and has plenty of investments outside of football so will go and do very well for himself I suspect.

I too thought he would go on to be England's all time goalscorer but his hamstrings saw to that.
  • Options

what has he really done since moving to madrid ?

People seem to forget that his time at Real was extremely successful from a footballing perspective. 43 games, 19 goals, most of them as a sub. If memory serves he was statistically their best striker at the time! Even at Newcastle he was getting a goal every 2.5 games which is not bad for someone who was in and out of the team due to injury.

• Options
    Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    1996–2004 Liverpool 216 (118)
    2004–2005 Real Madrid 41 (18)
    2005–2009 Newcastle United 71 (26)
    2009–2012 Manchester United 31 (5)
    2012– Stoke City 6 (1)

1998–2008 England 89 (40)

Ballon d'Or (1): 2001
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year (1): 1998
    Premier League Golden Boot (2): 1997–98, 1998–99
    Premier League Player of the Season (1): 1997–98
    PFA Young Player of the Year (1): 1997–98
    PFA Premier League Team of the Year (1): 1997–98
    Premier League Player of the Month (1): August 1998
    FIFA World Cup Best Young Player Award (1): France 1998
    Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1): Domestic Team of the Decade

Liverpool

FA Cup (1): 2000–01
    League Cup (2): 2000–01, 2002–03
    FA Community Shield (1): 2001
    UEFA Cup (1): 2000–01
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 2001

Manchester United

Premier League (1): 2010–11
    League Cup (1): 2009–10
    FA Community Shield (1): 2010

I think its the international record that wins him over to most people. Thats a brilliant record for your Country.
  • Options
    Didn't actually win a lot of trophies in the end did he? Surprising for all his talent.

Great player 10 years ago, but hasn't been the same player since his injuries
  • Options
    He was once a brilliant striker, one of the best I've seen.

Seems a bit of a knob now whenever on tv.
  • Options

Sorry, I see Owen responding to a cocky, smart arse tweet from the squaddie and then said squaddie playing the indignant "higher ground" card, even though Owen had no way of knowing he was in the armed services. And he still couldn't resist being cocky with the reference to Owen's injury problems in his response.

A bit like one of those fans who gives a player dogs abuse from the stands and then goes crying to the police when the player gives some back.

This 2
    This 34

75% of the armed services never actually see any action, and you can bet he's in that majority.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best England centre forward ever in my book. Real shame he got the injuries he did and he will always be a hero for the hat trick in Germany and that beauty against the argies.

Always did it in the big games for England And there is only a few England players I can say that for
  • Options
    Great player for the first 5 years of his senior career but injuries robbed him of that blinding acceleration and he tailed off a bit, sad to say. Seems like a very genuine guy though and I'm sure he will be very successful in his horse racing activities. Good luck Michael.

By the way, he still looks about 22 - funny when he grew a tash for Movember....big, hairy, zapata style made him look 20 years older!
  • Options
    I don't know mate, I always think how he changed his game when his burst of pace deserted him is what marked him out as a top level player. More so than Rooney will ever be in my eyes
  • Options
    Carter said:

I don't know mate, I always think how he changed his game when his burst of pace deserted him is what marked him out as a top level player. More so than Rooney will ever be in my eyes

Yeah, fair point mate. He stayed a very, very good player - just think though, how good he would have been if he had kept the pace also.
  • Options
    Without doubt the best striker of a generation real shame it all finished too soon

Loved it when Owen played for England and used to really enjoy watching him play at club level that little spell in madrid he just blew everyone away just under 1 in 2 in la liga better than 1 in 2 at Liverpool now they reckon the mark of a top top striker is 1 in 3 but the boy was deadly and quick

It's not right to say football will be worse without him as I have heard in the radio as really he left football when he joined newcastle and man utd as he just never played

But it was a pleasure to watch his craft
  • Options

A large slice of this!
  • Options
    It's such a shame that Michael Owen had such a terrible injury record. If he hadn't had that injury record and maybe had also had got on better with Fabio I reckon Michael Owen would have broken Sir Bobby Charlton's goal scoring record for England.
  • Options
    He was on family fortunes a few weeks back and he had one sister who was premium to the other by a long way ....totally irrelevant ....
    He came across as a normal enough fella with a bit of banter ... They slaughtered Penny Lancasters family and his mrs got all the top answers I think when they won the last bit for charidee
  • Options
    http://www.michaelowen.com/index.html

The last line of his statement is an especially nice touch.
  • Options
    I'll judge him on his football. Thanks for the memories, Michael Owen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    utterly unplayable in his pomp
  • Options
    Been semi retired for the past few years and living on his reputation to a certain extent. He is now free to devote all his time to his horse racing interests.
    A nice man though, very intelligent and in his pomp a simply terrific goal scorer. Like quite a few strikers, Andy Cole was another one, a shin splint injury lost him a split second of speed off the mark for ever .. that made a world of difference to his effectiveness.
    I wish him all the best
  • Options
    we like that word POMP !!
  • Options
    I thought he was brilliant in his prime, and for England hardly ever let us down. Real shame the injuries ruined the past few years of his time playing, he could have smashed that England goal scoring record.

That last paragraph in his statement is pure class, especially the bit for his dad.
  • Options
    I remember watching the game against Argentina in the 2002 World Cup when Owen won the penalty and Beckham practically had to wrestle the ball away from him as he was desperate to take it himself.
  • Options
    One of the best until those injuries hit him and he never really got his career back on track.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    The hat-trick against Germany in Sept 2001 seems like yesterday...

I think the last couple of seasons have been about burnishing the pension pot, and why not? Football's loss, racing's gain...
  • Options
    Ex squaddies are generally a pain in the hole.I know too many and they do go on about it and I don't think many of them saw any combat.At the end of the day no one forces you in to the services in this country and why are they so surprised some one shoots at them?
  • Options
    Michael Owen has achieved at a level most can only dream about.
  • Options
    Retire the day the Blackburn managers job becomes vacant. Hmmmm