Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Recruitment Consultants

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="cafctom"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="Addickted">A whole two and a half years? Wow - that's dedication.

It's a job finding a job for someone else to do. Get over your self.</blockquote>

If that's what you think it is then it is pretty obvious how clueless you are about the industry.

But then again, as it doesn't involve life and death then it isn't hard work to someone simple minded like yourself. </blockquote>

Clueless? You fill job vacancies and take a cut. Or am I wrong?

If I were simple minded, then I'd become a recruitment 'consultant'. But then I expect the 'relentless pressure' would get to me.

What exactly is this relentless pressure? Not hitting targets?

If it's so relentless, then why don't you get out and into something less stressful?

Like heart surgery.
  • Options
    I'm surprised with you Addickted. Most jobs carry a huge degree of pressure and stress these days, for varying reasons.

We don't all have to serve on the front line or save someones life to have sleepless nights worrying you'll have a job in three months and be able to support you family. Everyones pressure and stress is unique, regardless of the 'bigger picture'
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I am playing about a bit to be honest, I think Henry got that.

Besides, I'm simple minded, so you should make an exception.
  • Options
    That is true I suppose :-)
  • Options
    take your point AFKA but, in my experience, about 99% of those I encountered were useless feckers and about as much use as a chocolate teapot.
  • Options

I'm surprised with you Addickted. Most jobs carry a huge degree of pressure and stress these days, for varying reasons.

We don't all have to serve on the front line or save someones life to have sleepless nights worrying you'll have a job in three months and be able to support you family. Everyones pressure and stress is unique, regardless of the 'bigger picture'

couldnt agree more. some people coming across as right jumped up pr*cks on this thread. 'all scumbags' apparently...seriously, people get brave behind a keyboard.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

cafctom said:

Addickted said:

A whole two and a half years? Wow - that's dedication.

It's a job finding a job for someone else to do. Get over your self.

If that's what you think it is then it is pretty obvious how clueless you are about the industry.

But then again, as it doesn't involve life and death then it isn't hard work to someone simple minded like yourself.
    Clueless? You fill job vacancies and take a cut. Or am I wrong?

If I were simple minded, then I'd become a recruitment 'consultant'. But then I expect the 'relentless pressure' would get to me.

What exactly is this relentless pressure? Not hitting targets?

If it's so relentless, then why don't you get out and into something less stressful?

Like heart surgery.

Filling job vacancies and making a cut...If only it was as straight forward as that. Infact, that's probably the easiest part of it. In order to get to the point where you are doing that consistently, you need to be building relationships with hiring managers and the job-seekers themselves (there are about 30,000 people in London alone trying to do exactly the same thing, many of them are very untrustworthy and therefore have made the task 10x harder).

Relentless pressure = 12 hour days, extremely target orientated, often (not always) a lack of moral processes pushed upon you, cut-throat hire-and-fire industry.

Many of those people are just out of University and in their first full time job at 21-22 etc, so very much in at the deep end with constant threats about them being let go if they miss two quarterly targets running. In a world where jobs are harder to come by for young people, many turn to recruitment as it is always hiring. I was in the same situation.

I was reasonably successful in recruitment for the couple of years I was doing it - but I wasn't enjoying it one bit. I did get out and am now doing a much more enjoyable role where I get paid well, get to travel, manage my own workload etc. But I'm one of the lucky ones, as many many young people leave recruitment and struggle to find a path for themselves.

As a previous poster mentioned, you have have hundreds of people come and go in a matter of years. 50% of new starters leave within the first six months! That alone tells you how tough a game it is.
  • Options

Yes, and we all get on with it, rather than highlighting our plights on here.
    Jesus christ, perhaps you should try manual labour. Not knowing whether you have a week/month/years worth of work.
    Doing this whilst knowing some ****** is sat behind a desk in a air conditioned office taking 15% of what you are out there earning.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="ValleyGary"><blockquote class="Quote" rel="AFKABartram">I'm surprised with you Addickted. Most jobs carry a huge degree of pressure and stress these days, for varying reasons.

We don't all have to serve on the front line or save someones life to have sleepless nights worrying you'll have a job in three months and be able to support you family. Everyones pressure and stress is unique, regardless of the 'bigger picture'</blockquote>

couldnt agree more. some people coming across as right jumped up pr*cks on this thread. 'all scumbags' apparently...seriously, people get brave behind a keyboard.</blockquote>

I hope you're not including me in that VG as I haven't insulted anyone.

I just queried the 'relentless pressure' quote. No more or less pressure than most people have in their day to day jobs - and compared to some people it's a walk in the park.

And as for an eleven hour day making the 'hardest' office based job - do me a favour.
  • Options

This.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

couldnt agree more. some people coming across as right jumped up pr*cks on this thread. 'all scumbags' apparently...seriously, people get brave behind a keyboard.
    I hope you're not including me in that VG as I haven't insulted anyone.

I just queried the 'relentless pressure' quote. No more or less pressure than most people have in their day to day jobs - and compared to some people it's a walk in the park.

Someone started a thread for advise about becoming a recruitment consultant and myself and a couple of others gave him some.

Some people then thought they would have their little say by labelling recruitment consultants 'all scumbags'. If you wasnt one of them then no, i wasnt including you.

I personally wasnt expecting any violins to be played about the job i do, i find it quite relaxed because i work for a relaxed company with good relationships with their clients. I dont expect to be called a scumbag though.

I try not to bite but getting a bit pissed off with how brave people think they are on the internet, when if i told them to their face what i do for a living it wouldnt get met with the same response.

• Options
    I realised Addickted was pulling Tom and others legs.

All jobs have pressures and as a free lancer I know all about lack of security but when I complain about a difficult client and my wife says "I had a hard day too, we had to open up a patient on the ward to save their life" (she's a theatre nurse) then I know just how much "pressure" I really had.

Unfortunately theatre nurses get paid a lot less than footballers, bankers, fire officers or recruitment consultants or I'd be kept man : - (
  • Options
    You are a kept man.
  • Options

I realised Addickted was pulling Tom and others legs.

All jobs have pressures and as a free lancer I know all about lack of security but when I complain about a difficult client and my wife says "I had a hard day too, we had to open up a patient on the ward to save their life" (she's a theatre nurse) then I know just how much "pressure" I really had.

Unfortunately theatre nurses get paid a lot less than footballers, bankers, fire officers or recruitment consultants or I'd be kept man : - (

Of course the pressure in comparison to something that a nurse, doctor, firefighter etc does is completely different in comparison, I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Infact, I have a couple of friends from the recruitment company I worked for who were in relationships with people doing those sorts of roles. Believe it or not, they found it quite reassuring that they would hear about that when they got home and have that sort of perspective to make them feel better about their own work stress.

Query the 'relentless pressure' aspect all you want Addickted. The statistics that I've already stated speak for themselves.

I get the impression there is a fair bit of jealousy floating around about those nice people who sit in their air conditioned office making a living. Really not my fault or any other office workers fault that you went down the manual labor route Robbo on the Wing.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Tom, chill out.

You are making youself look a bit silly and patronising talking about jealously and "not my fault you went down the manual labour route".
  • Options
    I sit in an air-conditioned office to make my living but it doesn't change my view on recruitment consultants.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

You are a kept man.

I dream of being a kept man but since you dumped me I've had to work

• Options

Tom, chill out.

You are making youself look a bit silly and patronising talking about jealously and "not my fault you went down the manual labour route".

Well my argument is in response to comments along the lines of "Doing this whilst knowing some ****** is sat behind a desk in a air conditioned office taking 15% of what you are out there earning" and "they're all scumbags".

Not so sure I'm going as overboard or being as patronizing, personally. I'm not being abusive or putting someone else's line of work down am I?

I don't have a wholly positive view of the industry by any means, as I know that there are many out there who give it a bad reputation (which would annoy me just as much as the customers).
  • Options

I sit in an air-conditioned office to make my living but it doesn't change my view on recruitment consultants.

i still think you are a decent chap large ! lol !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    lolwray said:

i still think you are a decent chap large ! lol !

you are one of the rare 1%. You and a South African consultant I met.

• Options
    I think one of the biggest reasons people don't like them (aside from those mentioned above) are that it's an industry with no real skill involved. Not to belittle people doing the job, but it isn't a 'profession' - just like Estate Agency isn't a 'profession'. It's just selling things (in this case, people) which attracts bullshitters, loudmouths and spivs. Wait - that describes me quite effectively...
  • Options

.........Doing this whilst knowing some ****** is sat behind a desk in a air conditioned office taking 15% of what you are out there earning.
    What you should do is spend every spare moment you have (when not in work) calling round every potential employer and site within a 30 mile radius of your home - or further if you wish - and then you'd have plenty of work on and no need to reply on scumbags.

The 15% extra you earn would cover the hassle of chasing the firm you worked direct for to get paid. You might not get all that 15% though as the firm has to set you up on their payroll, pay you (when they fancy it) and of course manage all the compliance around you being on site in the first instance.

Alternatively, become Mr 15% and go and work at the agency lording it behind a desk, drinking champagne at lunch, enjoying an airconditioned office doing chaff all day in day out.

Still funny that people still use an industry they don't like and can see no value in. Just don't use recruitment firms if you don't want to !
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    PL54 said:

.........Doing this whilst knowing some ****** is sat behind a desk in a air conditioned office taking 15% of what you are out there earning.
    What you should do is spend every spare moment you have (when not in work) calling round every potential employer and site within a 30 mile radius of your home - or further if you wish - and then you'd have plenty of work on and no need to reply on scumbags.

The 15% extra you earn would cover the hassle of chasing the firm you worked direct for to get paid. You might not get all that 15% though as the firm has to set you up on their payroll, pay you (when they fancy it) and of course manage all the compliance around you being on site in the first instance.

Alternatively, become Mr 15% and go and work at the agency lording it behind a desk, drinking champagne at lunch, enjoying an airconditioned office doing chaff all day in day out.

Still funny that people still use an industry they don't like and can see no value in. Just don't use recruitment firms if you don't want to !
    See - you keep saying this. And people keep telling you that it's impossible to work in certain industries without using them. Is there some part of this that isn't simple? Because it seems pretty straightforward to me.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
  • Options
    Don't remember using the term scumbags, but whatever.
    The vast majority of companies use agents.
    I called a contact to get the position I currently am in.
    I still had to go via an agency. This wasn't out of choice.
    Not using an agency is not as simple as you suggest.
  • Options
    I think people are getting recruitment consultants and RPOs mixed up in terms of "not being able to work in certain industries without them".

How much are jobseekers paying to use these services anyway?
  • Options
    "Alternatively, become Mr 15% and go and work at the agency lording it behind a desk, drinking champagne at lunch, enjoying an airconditioned office doing chaff all day in day out."

Don't know if i could handle the stress :-)
  • Options

PL54 said:

See - you keep saying this. And people keep telling you that it's impossible to work in certain industries without using them. Is there some part of this that isn't simple? Because it seems pretty straightforward to me.
    Perhaps somewhere in the organisation(s) you want to work in there is someone who sees value in the service then ?

Or as WSS says - are you meaning a recruiter or a facilitator / payroll service ?

Must go - these champagne corks won't count themselves.
  • Options
    I think there's some sort of myth that these 15 percenters do nothing whilst everyone makes them money....Maybe a judgment clouded a bit by Football agents who are seen to let everyone else do the running around, while they just pick up commission.

What many are forgetting is that in this day and age, the real hard work done by recruiters is to try and satisfy the hiring company. Not that I necessarily agree that it should always be that way.

That 15% or whatever it is saves the hiring company the effort of doing the hiring themselves. For some niche roles out there, especially in IT, it can be a mammoth task trying to find people with the right skills + available + within budget + willing + referenced.

We used to meet and reference all potential candidates for a role, and provide just one CV to the employer to prevent them having to interview hundreds of half chances. That's where the hard work comes in and where the commission made is justified.

I personally don't have a fond perception of recruiters who send a hiring manager 20 odd CVs, none of which have been met/referenced/verified and then claim it to be a 'top service'.