Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Martin O'Neill gone

Sacked.

Sunderland in big trouble if you look at their remaining games.

Comments

• Curbishley 14 to 1
  • wait till after the two week international break to lose 0-1 v man utd and then sack him ..... ridiculous
  • Macronate, did you start this thread just so you could be first to post the Appleton pic? :-)
  • He's the man for the job, can't believe he didn't get the popes job.
  • Macronate, did you start this thread just so you could be first to post the Appleton pic? :-)

no

• Over rated manager what has he ever achieved and I could manage Celtic to a sweaty premier title!
  • If Villa + Wigan pick up decent points I can't see Sunderland surviving.
  • Great manager and won't be long before he gets another job.
  • Sunderland have been very poor this season. Curious timing though.
  • Sponsored links:

• They didn't that play that bad today although United never got out of seconded gear . but if you look at their fixtures it doesn't look good . We could be playing them in the play off final next year
  • I can see him turning up at Leicester at some stage.
  • Think Stoke when looking for a change will see O'Neill as very tempting...
  • Lose their two best players for the remainder of the season and sack the mgr is a sign of desperation

They will go down no doubt abd wigan and villa wont
  • paulo will be in the frame
  • Reading & sunderland certs for relegation. Just be interesting to see who the third is between villa, wigan, qpr and norwich i reckon.
  • Qpr reading sunderland cant see any of them getting out of it
  • Was a very good manager. Just never seemed to get going at Sunderland. Saw them play Liverpool earlier in the season, 1 up at half time and easily second half. Came out second half and just defended on the edge of the box (they were at home) just inviting the inevitable equalizer, and does seem to be the case this is the way they have been playing all year.

Have family based in the area so always happy to be in the same division as them particulary at the Stadium of Light is one of the best grounds in the county.
  • I like O'Neill, but think it's a brave move from Sunderland.

New TV deal starting next season, so really not the year to get relegated.
    Gambling on getting a bit of a bounce from a new manager coming in and picking up some points they would otherwise not get.

Still got home games to come against Stoke and Southampton, and away to Newcastle and Villa, so wouldn't write them off just yet.
  • Southampton are one of the best teams in the division now!
  • Sponsored links:

• No cattermol and no fletcher

No bite no goals = relegation
  • edited March 2013
    I never really liked O'Neill as a manager. He's antagonistic, never, ever makes eye contact, and has a permanent hangdog look to him, rarely showing any positivity at all. I'd imagine it would be all too easy for him to lose the respect of the team.
  • I am surprised its taken so long TBH...and it might be too late.

Ofcourse the players could take some responability themselves but then they cannot be sacked and the manager is the man meant to motivate them which clearly hasn't happened.

Motivation was one of O'Neil's strong points..
  • An overrated manager for many years. His time at Celtic indicated abilities well above his real capabilities. I dread the thought that he will be yet another Ooooolster voiced pundit on the telly/radio
  • Strange timing, can only assume they have a replacement already lined up and were waiting for the contract to be signed before binning O'Neil
  • I seem to remember he turned Sunderland around when he came in and make them look like a proper team. Always liked his b******t-free style.
  • Strange timing, can't see it helping now. But he has done a poor job there.
  • Greenie said:

Over rated manager what has he ever achieved and I could manage Celtic to a sweaty premier title!

Could you also get Leiecester promoted, keep them up and win some silverware? Or lead Villa into Europe?

Top manager and they are doomed regardless of who's in charge.
  • Sky Sports say they understand di Canio is in talks to take the job.
  • Di Canio in line for the Mackems job !!!!!!! ... hahahah .. that would be them well and truly f********ed