Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

cheap cars to buy???

2»

Comments

• Options
    Another tip when phoning about a car advert, is to say “I’m calling about the car”. If they answer “which one” you know they’re a dealer and not private.
  • Options
    Bought a Suzuki Samurai for 250 Euro this morning. Bit of a project, but they look easier to fix than my current work motor, so hopefully I can do it meself
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I've got a cheap bike if you want it.......its called the ex-wife.
  • Options

Ford KA is one of the cheapest to insure for young drivers, you should be able to pick one up under a grand actually.

Watch out for rust on KAs

• Options
    I got a 07 plate fiesta cat c for 950 had it for 2 years and it’s just passed its mot so another year in it, insurance was about 900 the year I got it now dropped to 523
  • Options
    Had a succession of peugeot 205's. Got a diesel which does around 60mpg on run and 45 around town. Had it 5 years. Very little spent on it. Cost me £250. Just bought wife a 1.1 for £500 71k almost mint. did 63mpg on a 250 run on motorway albeit 65mph. These cars are cheap and simple to fix. And they aren't bad on rust. Prior to these I had a brand new Vauxhall at £21k never again. Wife replaced her Golf Gti with the Peugeot and is happy. Already had people asking to buy it. Insurance low too.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Bought our son a mk2 Fiat Panda - 2009 diesel multijet for £2.5k, but one lady owner who only did 20k in it and it was garaged. Runs great and is a joy to drive. In the city I doubt there is much better to drive in terms of fun. The engine is very torquey and it does 65mpg! Parking and weaving in and out of traffic is a breeze and it has that small Italian car mentality - I can take that BMW, I can! Of course like little dog syndrome, it can't, but it does manage to convince you that it might be able to sometimes.

If you want a second car - you can't go far wrong there and it is very reliable - Pandas built in Poland and build quality much better and stands up well to other cars in that respect (in top 10) despite Fiat's reputation. The only thing is, I predict it could become your first car unless you need to do loads of motorway driving. It is competent on the motorway, but that isn't its environment.

• Options
    Just a thought on the ageing diesel question - depends where you are / where you're likely to drive it.

As of now, there's an extra charge in the central London congestion charge zone if a vehicle isn't up to a certain environmental standard, and if current plans happen, the 'ultra low emission zone' will extend as far as the north / south circular roads in 2021 (plan is that driving on the south circular will be OK, but go inside it and you'll have to pay something.)

More at https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra-low-emission-zone/vrm-checker-ulez

I did have a diesel peugeot 205 (about 200,000 miles and still healthy) until a year or so back - I was starting to think about whether to spend money keeping it going or give up on it, and ULEZ was one of the things on my mind (i currently live in berkshire, but ageing parent lives just outside the south circular and everything like her doctor, local shops and so on are inside)

Then some twunt stole it - bear in mind that older cars without immobilisers and all that sort of thing are more attractive to the sort of car thief who just wants something to get from A to B.
  • Options

Bought our son a mk2 Fiat Panda - 2009 diesel multijet for £2.5k, but one lady owner who only did 20k in it and it was garaged. Runs great and is a joy to drive. In the city I doubt there is much better to drive in terms of fun. The engine is very torquey and it does 65mpg! Parking and weaving in and out of traffic is a breeze and it has that small Italian car mentality - I can take that BMW, I can! Of course like little dog syndrome, it can't, but it does manage to convince you that it might be able to sometimes.

If you want a second car - you can't go far wrong there and it is very reliable - Pandas built in Poland and build quality much better and stands up well to other cars in that respect (in top 10) despite Fiat's reputation. The only thing is, I predict it could become your first car unless you need to do loads of motorway driving. It is competent on the motorway, but that isn't its environment.

The Panda is an excellent buy - you can get a decent second hand one for peanuts.
  • Options

The Panda is an excellent buy - you can get a decent second hand one for peanuts.
    Bamboo is more effective though
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    May have got lost on the last page, or it may be that no one has...

Has anyone had a Dacia? Any good? Reliable?
  • Options

We hired one in Portugal a few years ago, was good fun to drive.
  • Options

My personal opinion is that they are horrible, I had one on hire, the duster, and it was a nasty drive, the interior was offensive and it was not comfortable at all.

I couldn't recommend strongly enough you steer clear of these horrible vehicles
  • Options

And £35 a year road tax!
  • Options
    Carter said:

My personal opinion is that they are horrible, I had one on hire, the duster, and it was a nasty drive, the interior was offensive and it was not comfortable at all.

I couldn't recommend strongly enough you steer clear of these horrible vehicles
    But apart from that...?!

Cheers mate, good to get an opinion from someone who has driven one.
  • Options
    Its one of those problems - on the face of it you get a lot of new car for your money. The reality is that you are better buying a decent second hand car than a Dacia.
  • Options

Its one of those problems - on the face of it you get a lot of new car for your money. The reality is that you are better buying a decent second hand car than a Dacia.

Which is what I normally think about the cheaper brands, but having just had a Renault that did very well, I was intrigued whether they are basically just differently badged Renaults.
  • Options
    I think the problem usually is, the cheapest have nothing extra at all and when to start putting in reasonable extras they are not so cheap and are still crap.
  • Options

I think the problem usually is, the cheapest have nothing extra at all and when to start putting in reasonable extras they are not so cheap and are still crap.

This is it, they've gone big on being cheap but the cars look and drive abominably.

Interiors on cars are important as that is what you are surrounded by as the driver and the Dacia interior is disgusting
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    This is the barn find winter project. 250 Euros and just needs a starter motor. Probably getting either a Realtree / Mossy Oak wrap, or a Raptor Paint spray job -

• Sponsored links:

• Options

This is the barn find winter project. 250 Euros and just needs a starter motor. Probably getting either a Realtree / Mossy Oak wrap, or a Raptor Paint spray job -

I'd ask for a refund. Didn't you notice that someone had painted over your number
    plate?
  • Options
    CHARL7ON said:

I'm selling a 2005 Vauxhall Corsa, 1.3 CDTI turbo diesel. 152000 miles on the clock. It's just failed its MOT, needs £200 work. Very good condition. Great little run about and only £30 tax a year. It gets over 500 miles out of a tank of diesel. PM me if your interested.

You won't be able to drive it inside the north and south circular roads from next April.
  • Options
    There are regular car auctions in a place on Woolwich Road near PC World
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

CHARL7ON said:

I'm selling a 2005 Vauxhall Corsa, 1.3 CDTI turbo diesel. 152000 miles on the clock. It's just failed its MOT, needs £200 work. Very good condition. Great little run about and only £30 tax a year. It gets over 500 miles out of a tank of diesel. PM me if your interested.

You won't be able to drive it inside the north and south circular roads from next April.
    This wont be until 2021
  • Options

Crusty54 said:

CHARL7ON said:

This wont be until 2021
    Sorry my error. April next year in the congestion zone. Rest in 2021.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Crusty54 said:

CHARL7ON said:

This wont be until 2021
    Sorry my error. April next year in the congestion zone. Rest in 2021.
    Still running my old diesel until 2021 then I'm f***ed!
  • Options
    Bought a Renault 11 from Charlton car auctions £60.
    9 months MOT, power steering, electric windows.
    Drove it down to Plymouth and back for work a few times, up to Blackpool a few times, and 23 hours non stop to Turin for the 1990 semi final.
    It was then used as a battering ram against the carabinieri and driven for 23 hours non stop home.
    Sold for £40
    Top that.