Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Solly interview

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/20130418-solly-on-championship-campaign-779202.aspx

“That’s a challenge I’ve enjoyed this year, the one-versus-one battles with my opponents, and I think I’ve stood up to it. I’m pleased with how my first year’s gone in the Championship and looking to build on it and improve next year.”

I know you can't read too much into what players say, but hopefully that means he'd be happy to be here next season. Fingers crossed.

Comments

• Options
    Wonder if he'll be a Charlton player next year?
  • Options
    I think it will be the club that sells him. He seems happy and while he's progressing why would he want to move to stunt his growth.

He will be a Premier league player but one more year of development and playing week in week out would be Great for him. Then step up a 23 year old with 3 years of solid football and 150 senior appearances behind him.

• Options
    I think he will still be with us. We're quite fortunate that he doesn't have a very big profile outside of Charlton. If he was a 17-18 year old, then it would be a lot different.

I genuinely think he'll be with us for a few seasons in the Championship, unless we get a big offer that we can't refuse.

The thing with Chris Solly is that you only really appreciate his qualities when you watch him week in and week out. He rarely catches the eye with pace, crossing ability, strength etc to a stand out level. He has everything to a fine tuned proportion. But it is his consistency which makes him such a great player.

For a little bloke, he's hard as nails too. I remember when he had been out for about 8 months with injury, and then came on as a sub and was crunching into anything that moved!
  • Options
    I think he will be our player next season, but if we dont mount a serious promotion/playoff push then he might take off in January or the following summer.
  • Options
    I make Gary right
  • Options

I think he will be our player next season, but if we dont mount a serious promotion/playoff push then he might take off in January or the following summer.

Couldn't blame him if he did this, he's premier league quality and should be playing there soon. Hopefully it's with us.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I think he will still be with us. We're quite fortunate that he doesn't have a very big profile outside of Charlton. If he was a 17-18 year old, then it would be a lot different.

I genuinely think he'll be with us for a few seasons in the Championship, unless we get a big offer that we can't refuse.

The thing with Chris Solly is that you only really appreciate his qualities when you watch him week in and week out. He rarely catches the eye with pace, crossing ability, strength etc to a stand out level. He has everything to a fine tuned proportion. But it is his consistency which makes him such a great player.

For a little bloke, he's hard as nails too. I remember when he had been out for about 8 months with injury, and then came on as a sub and was crunching into anything that moved!

I think his profile may have increased after Tuesday.

Alot of attention on that game due to Cardiff, and Solly up against Bellamy was a great battle which i think we'll all agree Chris won.

If he wins POTY for a second season running i think his reputation may increase as well.
  • Options

cafctom said:

I think his profile may have increased after Tuesday.

Alot of attention on that game due to Cardiff, and Solly up against Bellamy was a great battle which i think we'll all agree Chris won.

If he wins POTY for a second season running i think his reputation may increase as well.
    All good points.

I know a lot of Premier League managers out there won't even entertain the idea of a defender if they're not big/strong or if they don't have blistering pace - Which is a good thing for us in this case.

22 is not a 'young' age in Football though it seems. If you have England aspirations then you need to be in the Premier League by that age and doing it for a decent club. That's the only thing that counts against us.
  • Options
    From twitter it seems he has just found a new house with his Mrs too. If he were settling down you'd hope that it would be in the area he currently is (Medway area I believe)
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I sort of (and hope) agree with Tom. He doesnt stand out as a player, after all, he's not massively quick, he's not tall, he doesnt have that great a cross, and he cant shoot, so , if you are a prem scout or manager coming along to have a look you would imagine them thinking, well, what does he have that i dont have already? (at least thats what i'm hoping), but when you watch him week-in-week out, you just have to admire his consistantly high performances. A real old-style right back, uncomplicated, not flashy, but always makes the right deicison, 70 per cent of times gets the ball when he needs to in a 50/50, and a true fan hero. A fantastic player, a player we will all follow when he does (eventually) make it to a Prem team - lets hope its us .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

From twitter it seems he has just found a new house with his Mrs too. If he were settling down you'd hope that it would be in the area he currently is (Medway area I believe)

yeah, if Man Utd come calling I can see him refusing to leave Medway !!

• Options
    Sadly I suspect Bristol City will be his last game in a Charlton shirt. I don't think it will be at his instigation though. The club needs money and he is our most sale-able asset.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Sadly I suspect Bristol City will be his last game in a Charlton shirt. I don't think it will be at his instigation though. The club needs money and he is our most sale-able asset.

Surely the car park is worth a few quid
  • Options
    Doesn't have that great a cross? I can't remember a time he's pinged the ball across that hasn't been dangerous? You must have missed Blackpool this season and several other games to say he can't shoot as well!
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I sort of (and hope) agree with Tom. He doesnt stand out as a player, after all, he's not massively quick, he's not tall, he doesnt have that great a cross, and he cant shoot, so , if you are a prem scout or manager coming along to have a look you would imagine them thinking, well, what does he have that i dont have already? (at least thats what i'm hoping), but when you watch him week-in-week out, you just have to admire his consistantly high performances. A real old-style right back, uncomplicated, not flashy, but always makes the right deicison, 70 per cent of times gets the ball when he needs to in a 50/50, and a true fan hero. A fantastic player, a player we will all follow when he does (eventually) make it to a Prem team - lets hope its us .

he's extremely quick (Bellamy is rapid!) and his deliverys are first class. His technically very good, so he can shoot as well.
  • Options
    Apart from that, spot on.
  • Options
    Shushhhh, dont tell them .
  • Options
    Lol, Solly.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I think solly will go in the summer and we'll use the money to rebuild the squad ala Jenkinson. We only have 4 or 5 players that are championship quality IMO
  • Options
    Love Chris to bits.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    if we get a good bid for him he goes if not he stays.
  • Options
    Rufus aside , Charlton always sell their best players , thats what we do.
  • Options
    Hoping Stephens may go for some cash rather than Solly
  • Options

Hoping Stephens may go for some cash rather than Solly

That would be ideal but a lot of people are beginning to notice what a good player Solly is, and you can't really say that about Stephens.

• Options
    He'll be here next season. PL clubs scout all over the world now, he's a good player but he is a full back. TJ wouldn't sell Stephens so I doubt we are going to sell Solly unless we get 3/4m
  • Options
    we'll get more than three quarters of a million BigRed
  • Options
    The way Powell has spoken about Solly saying he is premiership quality sounds a bit like a sales pitch to me. I think Powell has been told the only money available is if we sell and Solly is probably one of our only players that is going to bring in 1million +

As people have said full backs tend to stand out more if they are amazing attackers but all it takes is a scout to watch Solly for a few games to realise he is a class above this league.

I really hope I am wrong but I can see Solly in a Hammers shirt next season.
  • Options
    You don't have to possess blistering pace - just be quick over a few metres and have a quick mind. His strength is that he anticipates the game.

There are plenty of good footballers who aren't that tall - he's around the same height as Daniel Alves and Philip Lahm.
  • Options
    The problem with Solly is that he stands out at every game- A number of premiership clubs will have noticed him, had another look then another and they are going to like what they see. Having said that, he seems to be talking as if he sees his immediate future at Charlton, so hopefully we can do what is required to keep him. Would be a massive sign of intent. If we want to be better next season, we can't lose our best player.
  • Options
    He is my favourite player by a country mile. If i was manager CP i'd be offering Solly a 10-year contract. No way is he ever going to go out of form, he's too commited to the game. If he goes we will ask big questions of the clubs ability to compete and also it says more of the boards desire for success. If Chris wants out, good luck to him and i would clap him whoever shirt he returns to play against us wearing.

That said.......Chris if you are reading this....please, please, please, do not leave Charlton. You are a player that is held in such high regard, you have the capacity to become another Chris Powell!