Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

old ground or new ground

Comments

• Options
    Put me down as old school ground supporter, BUT.

1. Let me see the bleedin pitch. East Stand at Chelsea, Southampton's away end, pylon at The Den, Brentford's away stand etc with all their shit views are not places to bring back fond memories.

2. Give us enough bogs, particularly for the ladies.

3. Provide refreshment outlets, good quality, reasonable price and plenty of organised Staff.

I'd prefer a roof but I don't care about seats and always chose to stand. 
  • Options
    Richard great post the min I read the title I thought of elm park and roker park 2 grounds I loved going to the were shite holes but the tradition running through them was amazing you could feel the age and history I seem surprised you chose the mad stad over the elm park
    Add Chesterfield to that list.
  • Options
    Always liked Eastville despite being miles from the pitch.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Took a fare to Green St this morning. Was a bit sad to see all the flats built where the Boleyn Ground once stood 
    I actually drove past there a couple of weeks ago - it just didn’t seem right seeing flats there. Have some great memories of going to games in mid to late 80s with my grandad. He tried his hardest to get me to support them - no chance though. 

He would turn in his grave if he knew West Ham no longer play there. 
  • Options
    No sure what your criterea is for choosing a new ground over an old, but looking at your list I would generally go for the old ground more than 50% of the time, mainly due to the location and or parking. Most new grounds that I have been to (Brighton, Colchester, Middleborough,Coventry, Leicester, Man City, Southanpton & Sunderland) are all "out of towners" or "park & ride" and are a nitemare to get & out of. Colchester being the obvious one. It was easy to park near Layer rd and usually only a 5min walk to the ground. Their new stadium, even having less than 10,000 fans in it , takes ages to get out of and is miles from the station, pubs etc. - M'boro is the same -anyone going next week expect a long walk to the middle of nowhere. I agree that the new stadiums look better, have better facilities and better viewing - I just wish the most weren't built 5 mins out of town with just one access rd in & out.
    The King Power is less than 300 yards from where Filbert Street stood.
  • Options
    Richard great post the min I read the title I thought of elm park and roker park 2 grounds I loved going to the were shite holes but the tradition running through them was amazing you could feel the age and history I seem surprised you chose the mad stad over the elm park
    Add Chesterfield to that list.
    When we went to Saltergate you could fit your hand through the rust holes in the stand. Left that season I think. New ground is awful. 

Halifax Town (in the cup 4-0) too. 
  • Options
    No sure what your criterea is for choosing a new ground over an old, but looking at your list I would generally go for the old ground more than 50% of the time, mainly due to the location and or parking. Most new grounds that I have been to (Brighton, Colchester, Middleborough,Coventry, Leicester, Man City, Southanpton & Sunderland) are all "out of towners" or "park & ride" and are a nitemare to get & out of. Colchester being the obvious one. It was easy to park near Layer rd and usually only a 5min walk to the ground. Their new stadium, even having less than 10,000 fans in it , takes ages to get out of and is miles from the station, pubs etc. - M'boro is the same -anyone going next week expect a long walk to the middle of nowhere. I agree that the new stadiums look better, have better facilities and better viewing - I just wish the most weren't built 5 mins out of town with just one access rd in & out.
    Used to love an away day at Filbert Street. 
  • Options
    Filbert street was a naff view, but always a good day out in the early 90's. As for Ayresome park (in the snow) was not an experience I ever wanted to repeat!
  • Options
    I think sometimes the danger is that the nostalgia of youth rose tints your memories of the older grounds. And the open terrace that you loved as a youth on away day trips with the lads might not appeal so much as you get older with children, or become physically frailer.

And it also depends of what stage of the old ground you mean too, as for a few clubs the order is
    Old ground per Taylor report
    Old ground all seater
    New ground

For the Boleyn for example, the pre Taylor version we ground shared at in 91/92 was a cracking ground, but the post Taylor version with 3 sides rebuilt was completely different

Highbury for away fans was spoilt when those exec boxes were plonked on the Clock End, whether it was terraced or seated

The New White Hart Lane is a new ground, just like the New Wembley is a new ground.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Took a fare to Green St this morning. Was a bit sad to see all the flats built where the Boleyn Ground once stood 
    I actually drove past there a couple of weeks ago - it just didn’t seem right seeing flats there. Have some great memories of going to games in mid to late 80s with my grandad. He tried his hardest to get me to support them - no chance though. 

He would turn in his grave if he knew West Ham no longer play there. 
    And if he knew what a wrong un his grandson turned out to be
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fans were very welcoming.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Badger said:
    Went to Belle vue,Doncaster Rovers october 1997, Home game against Hartlepool United. The ground was basically in a state and the toilets were awfull. 3 parts of the ground were open, 1 of the ends behind the goal i seem to remember was grass so not in use, i was on the terrace stand opposite the main stand. Good job they moved. Probably in the top 5 of worst grounds in the league at the time.They were bottom of the league after 10 games with only 3 points,all draws. Went to park view road,Wigan Athletic March 1997, Home game against Cambridge United. £9.00 To sit in the main stand, wooden structure with restricted view, rest of the ground was terracing, home and away fans switched ends at half time,nice pies and a Wigan home win. Went to Fellows park Wallsall Vs Charlton August 1972/73, wallsall won 3-2, was your average ground for that era, nothing special. Can't remember tto much, if any one on here went did the players come out from the corner of the main stand?, also think behind one of the goals was a railway siding. Went to Brittania stadium,Charlton Vs Stoke 1998 we won 2-1 and stoke manager was Chris Kamara, small crowd , haven't been to the new one so can't compare
    Stoke still play at the same ground.
  • Options
    Old ground ish and still looks an old ground apart from where the Ultras live, Selhurst Park. Not too many get dewy eyed about that place.
  • Options
    Fulham have the right mix - approaching the ground it feels old school, and the main stand (and Cottage) retain that sense of tradition, accompanied by (now) decent stands elsewhere. Ibrox is another decent ground for the same reason. 
  • Options
    Fulham have the right mix - approaching the ground it feels old school, and the main stand (and Cottage) retain that sense of tradition, accompanied by (now) decent stands elsewhere. Ibrox is another decent ground for the same reason. 
    The 2 ends are pretty basic semi-permanent structures really, which will need rebuilding at some point. You can make a good noise with the metal steps though!

• Options
    The 2 ends are pretty basic semi-permanent structures really, which will need rebuilding at some point. You can make a good noise with the metal steps though!

Can't imagine steps doing heavy metal is a good noise!!
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Can't imagine steps doing heavy metal is a good noise!!
    I'm sure Thomas will give it a go next time he's at The Valley
  • Options
    Loved the old grounds - so many been to, so many no longer there. However, the older I get the more I appreciate a seat, weather protection and better facilities.

Some grounds not mentioned that bring back memories - Leeds Road, Baseball Ground (pitch as bad as QPR/Oldham), Burnden Park (last game there?), Fellows Park, Goldstone, Highfield Road, Millmoor (and the London Tube train parked up on tracks behind the away end), Old Show Ground (massive cantilevered stand which was impressive), Springfield Park.

Been to all of them along with the others mentioned - with the exception of Feethams and Belle Vue.

Gone to a few 'temporary' stadiums as well, which have always been terrible. Brighton, Bristol Rovers and Bradford City spring to mind.
  • Options
    Went to Oldham for the Tuesday night plastic pitch match and got a 1-1 draw. Watson scoring. At half time they had a boy with tray round his neck selling refreshments through the railings Ok if you like tea no milk and packets of Spangles because that’s all there was. 😃
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Loved the old grounds - so many been to, so many no longer there. However, the older I get the more I appreciate a seat, weather protection and better facilities.

Some grounds not mentioned that bring back memories - Leeds Road, Baseball Ground (pitch as bad as QPR/Oldham), Burnden Park (last game there?), Fellows Park, Goldstone, Highfield Road, Millmoor (and the London Tube train parked up on tracks behind the away end), Old Show Ground (massive cantilevered stand which was impressive), Springfield Park.

Been to all of them along with the others mentioned - with the exception of Feethams and Belle Vue.

Gone to a few 'temporary' stadiums as well, which have always been terrible. Brighton, Bristol Rovers and Bradford City spring to mind.
    I do mention some of those in the initial post from 8 years ago. 

I did attend Bradford Odal Stadium which was interesting IIRC the Speedway track was visible on the pitch. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2021
    I know it’s an Europa Conference game and not Champions or Europa League, but impressed that you can get adult ticket for £20 in decent seat at Spurs tonight
  • Options
    I know it’s an Europa Conference game and not Champions or Europa League, but impressed that you can get adult ticket for £20 in decent seat at Spurs tonight
    Which is why I am going. 
  • Options
    Same. It was pretty easy to get as well. I’m going purely just to tick it off as I don’t see Charlton playing there any time soon. 
  • Options
    Here's one from Spain: Atlético Madrid's old ground the Vicente Calderon had the most incredible atmosphere I've ever been to and a great location, walking distance from the centre. Fantastic atmosphere on a match day in a real classic working class neighborhood with loads of bars around. Was definitely looking its age by the end though, and having Madrid's main motorway going under one stand made development impossible. Got completely soaked on rare occasion it rained with no roof on three quarters of the ground as well! But overall it was amazing.

The new Wanda Metropolitano stadium is state of the art modern and much bigger capacity but sadly in the middle of nowhere, miles from traditional supporter base and much more corporate. The club needed it to progress, and got a West Ham style deal from the local council who gave them what would have been the Olympic Stadium if Madrid had been awarded the games in exchange for the land around the old Calderon. Something timeless has definitely been lost though.
  • Options
    Has the Calderon been knocked down yet? Was still standing in 2019 wasn’t it? 
  • Options
    Here's one from Spain: Atlético Madrid's old ground the Vicente Calderon had the most incredible atmosphere I've ever been to and a great location, walking distance from the centre. Fantastic atmosphere on a match day in a real classic working class neighborhood with loads of bars around. Was definitely looking its age by the end though, and having Madrid's main motorway going under one stand made development impossible. Got completely soaked on rare occasion it rained with no roof on three quarters of the ground as well! But overall it was amazing.

The new Wanda Metropolitano stadium is state of the art modern and much bigger capacity but sadly in the middle of nowhere, miles from traditional supporter base and much more corporate. The club needed it to progress, and got a West Ham style deal from the local council who gave them what would have been the Olympic Stadium if Madrid had been awarded the games in exchange for the land around the old Calderon. Something timeless has definitely been lost though.
    What is Rayo Vallencano's ground like. I understand that it is quite old school.

Would Atletico's new Stadium be able to adapt to the Olympics in the future. 
  • Options
    Knocked down now, sadly. Will soon be new apartments.
  • Options
    Rayo Vallecano is totally old school! Great atmosphere, especially behind the goal. Whole place smells strongly of dope as loads smoke it in the ground. My wife won't go there due to the state of the toilets! Very political place with loads of anti racist/fascist banners and food banks before game for local community. It's a great experience overall.

About the Wanda Metropolitano and future Olympic bids; yes I think it would be the stadium for any potential Olympics here as it was initially the plan for it but Madrid had three failed bids for 2012, 16 and 20 before it ended up going to Atlético. Not sure if they will bid again...
  • Options
    Badger said:
    Went to Belle vue,Doncaster Rovers october 1997, Home game against Hartlepool United. The ground was basically in a state and the toilets were awfull. 3 parts of the ground were open, 1 of the ends behind the goal i seem to remember was grass so not in use, i was on the terrace stand opposite the main stand. Good job they moved. Probably in the top 5 of worst grounds in the league at the time.They were bottom of the league after 10 games with only 3 points,all draws. Went to park view road,Wigan Athletic March 1997, Home game against Cambridge United. £9.00 To sit in the main stand, wooden structure with restricted view, rest of the ground was terracing, home and away fans switched ends at half time,nice pies and a Wigan home win. Went to Fellows park Wallsall Vs Charlton August 1972/73, wallsall won 3-2, was your average ground for that era, nothing special. Can't remember tto much, if any one on here went did the players come out from the corner of the main stand?, also think behind one of the goals was a railway siding. Went to Brittania stadium,Charlton Vs Stoke 1998 we won 2-1 and stoke manager was Chris Kamara, small crowd , haven't been to the new one so can't compare
    Stoke still play at the same ground.
    The original ground was the Victoria Ground . For some reason I remember it as being ideally suited to being next to a railway siding yard . 
    Did the Belle Vue ground have one of the largest playing areas at an English ground ?
    Station was a ten minutes walk.
  • Options
    The fans were very welcoming.
    Free bottle of piss on one visit i remember...